Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help, what is this on new succulent?

Posted by Polly381 none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 13:52

I bought this succulent yesterday and I noticed this stuff on it. Any suggestions what it might be?
I really need to start carrying a Loupe with me when I buy plants.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help, what is this on new succulent?

Heres a photo of the plant.
thanks

o

It's a Rhipsalis, probably R. ewaldianna, although R. sulcata is very similar. Rhipsalis are epiphytic cacti, closely related to the Schlumbergeras, or "Christmas cacti", and very easy to care for, but the whole taxonomy thing with this genus is a mess, and there are many species available commercially that are not correctly ID'd, and even among experts in the genus, a positive ID of a plant can be difficult. In any case, you care for this plant as you would a Christmas cactus-filtered or medium light, keep slightly moist soil in the growing season and allow soil to dry out between waterings in the winter off-season. I collect Rhipsalis myself and have a large specimen of this same plant which was labeled as "Rhipsalis ewaldianna" by Exotic Angel Plants(purchased from Lowe's). I actually keep mine over the winter on an enclosed, but unheated, back porch, and temps have reached the lower 20's F. out there, with no apparent ill effects to the plants. I would not recommend exposing them to frost, though, or to temps below that.

o

But what is the stuff on it?(see first photo) Is it a fungus? Bugs? Bird do do?

o

S.A.McKenzie thanks for the ID.

o

I dont think its a case of what's on it, more of whats in it! Looks like burrowing grubs have made a home there. A similar thing is often seen in holly leaves, caused by leaf miners.

o

oh dear, should I return the plant? I dont want my other plants to get what ever it is.

o

You can return plants? I dont think that would work over here!

o

Could it be fungus? read fungus/diseases
http://cactiguide.com/cactipests/
I did find some red fungus looking stuff in the soil.

o

Oh yes, we can return any plant as long as we have the receipt.Outside garden plants are guaranteed for 1 year. If they die, just take the receipt to the store and tell them. Although I usually dont bother for outside plants.

o

Patches of sunburn where water droplets had been, maybe?

o

could be amccour but there were also orange things in the soil. I am starting to think fungus.Also I see now some of the branches look dehydrated, even though the soil is very wet.

o

I returned the plant, I didnt want to take a chance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here