Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy123

Is this a New Pothos cultivar I've found?

treeguy123
13 years ago

This old green Pothos is a regular green vine but I looked close and saw this variegated one growing out the side of the main long green vine. Did a new cultivar come out of the side as a branch? The main green vine does go all they way to the roots.

The plant is probably over 15 to 20 years old.

{{gwi:107073}}

{{gwi:107074}}

{{gwi:107075}}

{{gwi:107076}}

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Treeguy..I can't answer your question, but it's sure pretty. There's a Pothos called 'Silver Splash,' very similar to yours, but leaves don't have the lines like yours. Very nice, Toni

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

It's a genetic sport (mutation). That's how a lot of new and interesting varieties are 'discovered'. See what happens when it's been propagated and grown on for a year or two. Also, cuttings from the cuttings will help reveal its stability.

A plant with that much white will be difficult to maintain, though. I'll bet that it begins to exhibit more green as new leaves begin to form.

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks both.
    All these years I've not paid much attention to the vine at my grandmothers house, probably because I'm used to seeing variegated Pothos.

But several days ago I looked close at the vine thinking the variegated Pothos was a separate cutting in the pot, but looking closer I was shocked to find it was growing out of the green vine (was thinking I might have a new sport mutation like you mentioned Rhino_1). So I got a cutting you can see in the picture, (I'm rooting it in water then I will plant a pot).

Since the main green vine does go all the way to the roots. That probably leaves only a small chance of the green vine being a reverted variegated vine i would guess (Changing from variegated to green), not 100% sure though, that's why I was wondering if anybody knew if this looks like any Pothos cultivar.
    I also wonder if it's possible a reverted to green Pothos was planted then a branch revered again back to a known cultivar (if thatâÂÂs even possible?), or would this be a totally new cultivar?

The variegated Pothos branch had about 6 to 7 leaves, she does not water her plants often (thus slower growing), so I estimate the variegated branch to be 5 to 10 year old. It has been at a south facing porch covered window (which is a bright window with filtered indirect light for all those years).

• zubababy
    13 years ago

It looks just like my Marble Queen when it gets good light. The Marble Queen that I take into the house in lower light doesn't have has as good of variegation to it. As the leaves mature... the more green will show.
    {{gwi:107077}}{{gwi:107078}}

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, yes I googled what cultivars I could find a while ago and saw Marble Queen as well. Pictures on the internet looked like the green blotches were a tad larger than mine.
    But yours looks very similar to identical.

Now the questions would be for everybody: could it possibly be Marble Queen if it's a branch off a green vine?
    Or is it a brand new cultivar that just looks similar to Marble Queen?
    zubababy, I like the one more white (right picture) is that the one in more light?

• zubababy
    13 years ago

The one on the right is the same plant, but it was taken with the flash on the camera. My original Marble Queen had more green on the leaves, and some had reverted back to all green. I took cuttings from the branches with the highest variegation and started this plant. I keep it pinched and it has many branches from one cutting. This is one of my favorite plants.

Is it possible that the one you took the cutting from was originally Marble Queen that had reverted back to green?

• treeguy123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, yes that's what I was wondering. But one would think if it was planted as a Marble Queen then then the white variegated stem would go all the way to the roots. (this one is green to the roots) So that has me speculating it probably started as a green vine cutting.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Marble Queen started out as a vegetative sport at some point in time. It's not uncommon for this to occur in green pothos. Enjoy it.