Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House Plant ID? Any ideas?

Posted by puglvr1 9b central FL (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 14:08

Hello, received this house plant from a friend, but she wasn't sure what its called...any clue?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House Plant ID? Any ideas?

peperomia obtusifolia. :)

o

Thanks asleep! appreciate it.

o

My pleasure! :)

o

Hi there Pug,

I saw your mention of this question elsewhere, came to look. Yes, that ID is right & what nice looking plant too, such pristine leaves. Good for you, enjoy!

o

Looks like it's flowering!

o

Thanks PG, she said she was going to toss it since she's running out of room and would I like it? I'd love it Of course, I said :o)....

Rhizo, its blooming? will have to google to see what it looks like...

Since the leaves are quite succulent, I'm guessing this one likes to dry out a little before watering it thoroughly? Fertilize lightly maybe 2x a month? Thanks!

o

Nancy, is this the thread you wanted me to see???

Your plant is Peperomia obtusifolia, like others mentioned, and in bloom to boot.

Yes, you're right, soil needs to dry between waterings. Pep's thick leaves hold water..left wet for prolonged periods cause mold/rot.

Peps are strange plants. They're similar to succulents, but require humidity.
Obtusifolia doesn't need as much humidity as other Peps, but it can't hurt.

Our conservatory has various Peps growing directly in-ground.
Temps are very cool, and because they're in-ground, surrounded by larger plants, they're in low light.

Out of all Peps, obtusifolia is one of the hardiest.
Over-wateringis the #1 killer...

Good luck...'

Karen, I don't know how to contact you. Toni

o

Hi Toni, you found my post,lol...Thanks for your advise and tips, appreciate it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here