Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
i_know_nothing

Need an ID of this houseplant

I_know_nothing
10 years ago

I brought this home the other day and oddly it didn't have any sort of name on the tag.

I'd like to find out what it is because it's supposed to be 'low light' and my room is facing north. It's been drooping during the day so I'm not sure if it's getting too much light or not enough.

Comments (12)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Looks like a Maranta. A great one! Love your name but I disagree. You know enough to come here and ask, that's a good start. Welcome to Gardenweb.

"It's been drooping during the day" Hopefully it's just 'praying.' These plants move their leaves from day to night. Picking it up to see if it's gotten lightweight yet might be a better gauge of whether or not it's thirsty than trying to tell if it's wilting.

• christine1950
    10 years ago

I love it at night when you can hear them close, first time I heard them close I couldnt imagine what I was hearing. Yours is very healthy, mine loves moist soil, but not all of them like their feet wet so be careful how much you water yours, you will learn just by looking at it when it needs some TLC, Good Luck you've come to a great place for lots of awesome advice :>)
    Christine

• I_know_nothing
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Its soil is still fairly moist so I think it's good on that front; the one thing i'm unsure about is if it's getting too much light or not enough. My room is quite dark and faces north, as I said, though it has been overcast all week.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

This is the original 'prayer plant ', Maranta leuconeura. It will NOT be happy in a dark room. This plant is happiest in a bright location, but away from the direct sun. Maybe the location is brighter than you describe?

It is naturally something of a hanging plant, as the stems grow a bit.

10 years ago

Mine made its' last round of flowers in July, hanging from north-facing porch, where the sun hits it for just a minute first thing in the morning, then again just before sunset. It also did that while inside for winter, sitting by a window the sun comes in for just a short time in the morning. I agree with Rhizo, probably needs more. Don't think it would be possible to have too much sun for this plant in a (normal-size) north window.

• I_know_nothing
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the tips, I think I know what to do now. Will probably start humidifying my room as well. Looks like a lovely plant!

10 years ago

Purp, your Maranta leuconeura erythroneura is probably the most popular of the genera.....at least it used to be. Plenty of bright light will keep those colors popping.

10 years ago

TY, Rhizo! I think our dog peed on this plant when I put it on the ground for some rain. I'm not showing a pic of what it looks like now. Thank goodness for pics of better times. Oh well, I've killed these before much more quickly over the years in much less interesting ways. Maybe it's not dead, IDK at the moment...

But are you saying they are 2 diff plants, mine and I_know's?

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Here is my mother & daughter, they didnt get the correct amount of sunlight this year and the lack of color shows compared to purples
    Christine

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

The name I order them by in Europe is Maranta L. Kerchoveana.

They tend to die back and reappear now and again, like a perennial. For the same reason they are only available sporadically.

My fave Maranta is the barely existent M. Massangeana, which looks like a B&W photo of a Maranta Tricolour.,

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:107292}}

10 years ago

Purple, they are different.....Jon is more accurate by adding the variety name of kerchoviana. Maranta leuconeura kerchoviana. Sometimes referred to as the "green maranta".

"....I think our dog peed on this plant...."

Do you mean that pony that you call a Great Dane?

10 years ago

OK, TY, Jon & Rhizo. I don't know if I've ever seen the kind I_Know has. If I do, I'll hopefully recognize it now ('cuz of course, I need it) and realize it's not just a chlorotic or light-starved version of the one I already have (had?), which is what I thought about I_Know's plant at first.

Yeah, great Dane, good memory. When he "targets" a plant, it's usually pretty obviously devastating. Frustrating, all of the "good shade" is in the back. Should have hung this from a tree for a drink/bath, my bad.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022