Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Arrivals 2

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 14:24

I wasn't going to add more, really I wasn't..But then I thought, what the heck, soon winter will be around, which means NO shipping..Besides, prices were great.

Accents for Homes and Garden

T. WJ Speckled...bought two

Tradescantia

Tradescantia

Oxalis Tree

Oxalis

Kalanchoe Figuereidor

Kalanchoe

E. Platyclada or common name, Dead Plant

Euphorbia

Orostachy..a freebie

Orostachy

Out of Africa

Cereopegia Dimorpha

Cereopegia

E. Obesa

Euphorbia

That's it. I have one more order out there, placed a while back..Plants were on back-order..they'll be in soon.
After this order, I mean it, NO more plants.

Now that it's sunny, bringing in remaining plants..Toni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Arrivals 2

Nice haul Toni! Whats the first plant??

o

That's It Toni.. You need a meeting.
We're all going to talk off-line to schedule your Intervention! :-)

o

No doubt! Don't wanna know where you find these unusual plants. That first one, the Tradescantia, is wild! Never seen anything like that. And that dead plant - um, you really do have a soft spot in your heart for all plants. ...but how will you know if it dies?

o

• Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 9:23

Toni, Where do you order plants from? I am interested in looking around online myself. I browsed Ebay yesterday which was fun becasue I found a bunch of different plants I was interested in. Ebay scares me though...I would rather buy from a place referred to me that way I know I am not getting a dead plant or a diseased plant.

o

Morning....

Yesterday was crazy. I went upstairs to clean areas where Hoyas and Plectranthus are wintered, then ended up hauling out winter clothes and putting away summer.

Half finished..There's boxes everywhere..Still need to clean windows, shelves then Hoyas must come in before temps freeze.

Larry...Thanks. First plant is a relative of Wandering Jew..Called Speckled Wandering Jew. I purchased two...going to pot together, to make more compact..

Charlie.. ROFL. After reading your post, I laughed so hard tears fell from my eyes..Seriously.

Purple. The first six plants came from Accents for Home and Garden.

I know what you mean about the Dead Plant..lol. Planning on Googling to see if Mr. Dead Plant should look, well, dead. I chose plants I never had before...the Last order. :)

Tiff..Actually, a good number of my plants were purchased on Ebay..When you see a plant you like, check sellers feedback.

One can find really rare plants on Ebay.. The problem is now that it's Oct, most sellers either stop shipping or there's little to find.

The above plants came from Accents for Home and Garden, and Out of Africa.
Did I write a list of nurseries for you??? Thought I did.

o

Oh I keep forgetting you do mail and ebay. I am NOT going to start with that. Already get in enough trouble with the miserably small number of places to shop for plants around here in person, but thanks for the info. Uhoh. I refuse to be led down this primrose path. Oh man, "out of Africa" sounds really cool... No! No!

Other Tiff, no doubt! She DID get a dead plant! Ha!

o

Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 13:25

HA! PurpleTiff, yes I suppose she did.

Toni, you I think gave that list to another newbie, yes I remember it. However, I have no idea which thread it was on. Possibly one for Joe. I will check the recent ones we have all been chatting on...after nap time. Kiddos are napping and I am taking advantage as well! Tired today.

o

Purple...If it wasn't for online ordering, I wouldn't have half as many plants..Don't know if that's a good or bad thing..lol

Most nurseries closed down. There's one called Ted's, but depending on day and time, it's about an hours drive..an hour going and an hour coming home. Two hours...

We usually go to Ted's once a year which happens to be Feb 14th..Valentine's Day. Mid-year withdrawls.

Tiff, sorry about that..I remember writing a list of nurseries but can't recall which thread.

Do you favor tropicals, succulents or both?

o

Ah, a tradescantid, very cool.

o

Tiffany:

Here's that list of nurseries that Toni typed up. (They were on the silent surfer thread).

A few online nurseries.
Tropicals and succulents

almostedenplants.com
accentsforhomeandgarden.com
rareflora.com
glasshouseworks.com
ebay
Hirts...through Ebay or Amazon
Eldons
Kartuz

Succulents

Jade Point
Thistledown
Out of Africa
Go Succulents
Accentforhomeangarden

o

Larry, thank you... :)

Rachel, thanks for posting nurseries..Toni

o

Links, let's enable completely:
Almost Eden Merryville, LA
Accents for Home and Garden Milton, DE
Rare Flora Delray Beach, FL
Glasshouse Works Stewart, OH
Eldon Tropicals Ocala, FL
Kartuz Vista, CA

Succulents

Jade Point Minot, ND
Thistledown Anderson, CA
Out of Africa somewhere in SW FL
Go Succulent Lakeside, CA

Checked to see if any of these are close enough to visit. No, unfortunately. I've been to Glasshouse Works twice when I lived in OH but that was 2 hours one way. I miss having 10 garden centers close enough to visit all in one day. If I start browsing these cyber stores leisurely, I may find something I want enough to break my "only in person" rule. Oh brother!

o

Purple...thanks...

Knowing how much you love Purple, come spring, if WJ makes it through winter, you are welcome to cuttings. Toni

o

Woohoo! Thanks!

o

Nice Oxalis too, looks like a wild flower we get here!
I like the dead plant too, Euphorbias are cool plants!

o

Well the next time one of my plants dies, I'm going to tell people it's a rare specimen commonly known as "dead plant."

Toni, you really do have love for all plants. As I look at that again, I'm impressed with your ability to see some redeeming quality in it. I can't warm up to that one. Bless you for giving it a home. Ugly plants need lovin too. Are you sure that thing's alive? You need to take pics often so you'll know if it's growing. But on the bright side, if it does die, you'll be the only one who knows... eventually.

o

Ohi love odd and ugly plants, so much more interesting to me!

o

Ok Toni, now I KNOW you have a problem with spending money.

You are buying DEAD plants now?lol

Good catch:-)

Mike

o

Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 19:35

I love the speckled plant and the Oxalis tree! Awesome!

o

Hi Toni!!

Great looking plants you picked up!!

Love all of the looks.. even the "dead" one!! : )

Thanks for the pics!!

Take care,

Laura

o

Morning,

Yesterday, spent the day cleaning, repotting, and making space for plants still outside! What a job!

Day 3 of pitch-black sky and non-stop showers..

Larry...Thanks. I hope the Oxalis trunk thickens w/age. If, it lives. I've had Purple Oxalis for years, but imo, they're fairly easy. Never had luck w/green Oxalis..

LOL, I know what you mean when you wrote Oxalis looks like a weed..we get the same weeds called Clover.

Purple, LOL..there you go..Dead Plant rarities..

I HOPE 'Dead Plant is alive. Never seen one before, so have nothing to compare it to. Still haven't Googled..

Poor, ugly plants..lol...but one might view 'x' plant beautiful, while another deems it ugly..
Now you got me thinking? Is it alive or dead...

Mike, too funny...ROFL.

Tiff, thank you...

Laura..there you are. Via another thread, I made a comment to you, but you never responded..didn't know what to think.

Thank you, too.

I have a couple Plumeria questions to ask, so I'll probably head to the other forum.

o

Toni, you think dead plant is odd, check out ceropegia adrianae! One of the weirdest looking things I ever saw!

o

Glad you appreciate the fun I'm having with your plant, Toni. I'm about to stop coming into this discussion because I swear I heard a little voice in the back of my head wondering where I might put one of these... this ugly plant thing is apparently extremely contagious. In one discussion we have Rusty, here we have Crusty.

Did you add a pic of this to the weird plant discussion? Not only might it win if that were a contest, this may also be the funniest plant!

OK, I'll be back, this is too amusing!

o

Larry...Googled C. Adriana..You're right, it too is weird..lol.
How do we know if these plants are alive or dead???

Until a year ago, I had no idea there were so many Ceropegias..
I have one small-leaf type, 'can't recall species,' that has beautiful, colorful leaves..or did..have to check.

I also have a 'hanging' plant bought years ago called Parachute plant..
Last summer I discovered it too was Ceropegia.
This year was the first time it bloomed. Don't know if I like or dislike its flowers..they too are ODD.

Purple...finally Googled Dead Plant/Euphorbia platyclada.
There's little info, but Google'd pics look like my plant, so I'm 'assuming' it's alive. lol..Can't be certain.

Anyway, after typing EP care, there was little info..looked at a couple sites which were deceiving. Discussions were Euphorbias in general...results, I ended up back on GW/C&S Forum. Found an old thread on Dead Plant, so asked a few questions there.

I discovered, Dead Plants flowered easily enough, but who knows if it will bloom here..also, on the C&S thread, someone said, EP's usually die..How does one know? lol.

I didn't think about the weird plant discussion. What's the prize? lol.

o

Theres also one ceropegia called the Condom Plant, for real!

o

Hi Toni!!

I looked for that thread and i can't find it!!!

It seems like i can read up on a thread and then in a day or two its gone.. I have no idea where it is..

So sorry.. Im around and mostly at the Plumeria forum, COntainer forum and i stop here as well.. OH..Palm forum.. Adenium Forum too!!

Please feel free to ask away when you have any questions...

You can always email me too!

I did post on the Container forum about the new addition to my family.. YUP, im a grandma!! My daughter had a little boy.. 9 lbs 8 ozs Im so excited!!! He is 6 weeks old..

I posted a thread about Natural Containers, Parent Plants and my Grandson.. so if you want to take a peek.. : )

Most days when im working, i have a 14 hour day..so i don't get to the forums much when i out on a trip.. My days are very long and im pooped when i get to the hotel..

Sometimes it is impossible to find threads that i see when im up after hours..then try and find them the next day.. LOL!!

All is well here in VB!!

MY trees are still outside and ready for the march inside soon.

Take care,

Laura

o

Larry, Googled Condom Plant..lol..is the Condom plant Carnivorous?

Laura. Hi! Can't recall name of thread either, but it was long, several posters..maybe you didn't see it. The thread is probably on page 2 or 3 now..

Yep, threads come and go. Before you know it, a new thread is an old thread..

Laura, congrats..Wow, 9 lbs 8 oz..your poor daughter! lol.
Bet the baby is a cutie..AWW, a new addition to the family.

In other words, you visit many forums..lol.

Which forum is Natural Containers, etc?

I remember your work hours are long. Hopefully, one day you can sit back and relax..enjoy your beautiful plants.

Didn't know you brought plants indoors..thought they could live outside year round?
Are all your plants brought in during winter? Your humongous Plumerias, too?

Thanks..I'll probably post on the Plume forum since the question is regarding Plumes.

Great seeing you...Toni

o

Lol Toni!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here