Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Do you like Philodendrons and why?

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

I can tell you, that me, yes me, with all my dozens of rare tropicals actually own about a half dozen of them..

I have many because they are easy to grow in a spot nothing else does, require less attention with watering needs, never gets pests, grow like crazy, easy to root and don't need full sun..lol

I have several kinds....Most are variegated and very pretty colored..

Did I leave anything out?

MIke

Comments (60)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My goodness.....What a beautiful plant Tiffany!!!
    Look at those colors...

You know I just might have less than I thought after the discussion about Pothos and Philos...

If I post what I think is Philos, can anyone tell me if they are? I love them no matter what..

Toni...I kind of get it and great to see you!
    The Philo I have seems to love hanging from teh ceiling out of direct sunlight and does beautiful, from teh rim of the pot down though....lol

Now that I have placed it behind a shear curtin and it gets difused sunlight, the colors are more of a bright yellow and white and growing thick from the rim of the pot up..The way I like it...Hum....I guess I will have to find a spot for it near more light once the citrus come in and take up all the prime space..lol

Thanks everyone..

Mike

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hey Toni!

OMG are you saying that you actually HAVE a Philodendrons elegans?

Eek gads!! That plant is something of a "holy grail" to me!

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Why do I like Philodendrons? For very different reasons. Bipinnatifidum and xanadu and a few others for big cool-looking leaves, aerial roots and unruly growth habits. "Prince of Orange" for meaty petioles, unusual color of young leaves and aerial roots. Micans / "Velvet Leaf" for... well the velvety feeling and look to its leaves, a wavy stem and fast growth.

This thread prompted me to look into why all these very diverse plants are even put into the same genus called Philodendron. The name ("loves trees") would explain all the epiphytes and hemiepiphytes, but not the terrestrial self-headers. I found the Wikipedia entry for Philodendrons very interesting, especially the parts about the spath and spadix being used as a hotel for sweet beetle loving and the amazing ways Philos have of getting beetles to check in. Spadix emitting infrared radiation like a control tower for the beetles and heating up 20 degrees above the ambient temps to spread the pheromones easier into the air and to make beetles more active (with the rolling around in the pollen that comes with that) - these things are just amazing. How and why the plant makes beetles check out when they are no longer useful and need to move on to another plant is also pretty cool. Very interesting read! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philodendron

As for a unifying trait of all Philos, it's some flowering characteristics.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mike! I'd love to see your plants! Somebody around here should know what they are.

...I'm late to get in the line, I want P. elegans too! What is it?

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Hope this sends. Still have internet connection problems.

Purple.

Before I reply about Philos, have you checked IE? It works, sometimes. lol.
    I was able to access email the other day.
    If you haven't checked give it a try.

Regarding sun..Mike said, his Philos don't need full sun.
    If you re-read my post, it's addressed to Mike. :)

I shouldn't have compared full to direct sun. It sounds contradictory.
    I consider direct sun...plants that sit in south or west sun at least 5 hours a day.
    Full sun, 'in my mind,' means the brightest light from a s/w/e window. If that makes sense.

I find thin leaf Philos, 'and many other tropicals,' do well in less light..Thick leaf Philos can endure full sun all day without burning.
    I was going to toss a Philo this summer. It wasn't doing well. I set it outside 'those darn ants,' now it's doing great.

Puter's froze, brb..

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

effin' att....

Purple, sorry about that.

At least you have a Pink Princess
    I had PP for years. It lived in the LR, ,south window.
    To make space, I moved it in the upstairs bathroom.

Remember, last year my Hoyas had mealy. Before I noticed, I placed PP in the bathroom.
    A month or so later, I noticed mealy on my PP.
    It went in the trash with infested Hoyas.

PP needs light. Mine kept variegation in the south window, even during winter. Although, I admit PP is a slow grower. At least mine was slow.
    Now that I think about it, I miss my PP...boo hoo. :)

Your Brazil is lovely. Nice coloring.
    BTW, what's the solo leaf?

Hey Mike. How ya doing???
    What type of Philo do you have?

Hi Asleep. How you doing?

I have P. elegans sp. It doesn't have narrow leaves like a true elegans..
    I WISH I had one.
    In the early/mid 90's, I spent more than a year seeking a true elegans. I found one from a guy who sold plants from his house..This was before I knew Ebay existed. lol
    But, he wanted 25.00 which was out of my league. 25.00 plus shippin!
    I found another later on, but it was/is small...the seller said before leaves thin the Philo has to mature...hmm..Still waiting. lol.

Karen, don't know if you're reading this, but I can't contact you.

Toni

• paul_
    10 years ago

In the home or just in a general random sort of way?

In house:
    Pothos (Epipremnum) is one of only two types of Epipremnum that I have. I have only one of that one and couldn't careless about having any more. I find them rather dull/boring and WAY over used (taking malls and places of business into account). However, they can survive and even grow in areas that other plants couldn't. (My one and only pothos is in just such a location for just such a reason.)

The other type I have is Epipremnum Pincushion. This is a mini with a clumping habit. Gets about 3-4inches tall at the max and takes a long time to get there. I use it in my terrs.

But, again, overall there aren't too many philos or epiprems that impress me.

Just in general:
    In the wild or a wide open space like a conservatory, a large philo can be a beautiful sight to behold and the viney types can have their place.

10 years ago

Toni, I do agree about the sun exposure, now that I know what you mean, and figured you knew what you meant too - LOL! As you've probably observed, I'm famous for sun-burning plants not used to being so exposed, and have little patience for easing them into it. Conclusions drawn from stuff like that can be misleading. You are much nicer to your plants usually. If our dog wouldn't pee on everything at ground level in the back yard, most of my plants would be in dappled light (and cooler roots) under giant trees instead of in solid chunks of either morning or afternoon sun. It's so hot out there. Were you going to add a pic, or got too frustrated?

Hithere, Paul. There sure are a lot of visually diversified Philos to make a generalization like that. But curious what kind of house plants are more your style? Not everybody loves 'em all.

The leaves on the burgundy one feel like the softest leather you've ever felt. If you generally enjoy plants tactilely, many Philos are great for touching for various reasons.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Tiffany! Now, come on..lol What kine is that you posted all red like that? I think I may have to make an offer for a piece of that one..lol I just love it! You always seem to have much different houseplants that I have ever seen.....Nice!
    Ok, I will get some pics as soon as I can.....I would love the help identifying themm Some are a bright yellow as the sun!

Toni...Hello! I think what you are trying to say is that they love bright diffused light or indirect! Just like what the greenhouse gives them with thier blocked out direct sun glass panels...
    In fact, I think even Peace Lillies do better in that kind of light in which many think them too a a dark shaded loving plant...lol

I love you pic!!

Paul, what are your favorites? I would love to know....

Mike

10 years ago

Not sure what that red one is, pic is from last Oct. It was just settling into things outside for spring, plenty of new not (yet) sunburned leaves, then 2 weeks later, there was frost. I forgot to move this pot, it was hanging in a tree & all of the leaves were ruined. The new leaves it's grown so far since that are nowhere near that big, yet. That pot remains as it was, with some wax Begonias added about 6 months ago. When I first got it, I propagated the root-ends into many pieces and just repotted them today, added with the Brasil pictured above, the PP, and some Scindapsus. Before I could finish straightening the leaves and get a pic, it started raining. So that was 5 pots traded for 1...

I should add a few new pics to this discussion about sunburned leaves (which has a pic of a burned burgundy Philo leaf, BTW, 1st pic.) There's some new accidents out there.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Afternoon..

Mike, it depends on the Philo. lol.
    For instance. I have a Philo 'Ring of Fire.' It looks best when placed in direct south and west sun.
    Ring of Fire has very thick leaves.

On the other hand, if I placed a Heart-shaped Philo in the same window, the leaves would burn crispy.

What type of Philo do you have? Gotta picture?

Purp...there's a Philo with red leaves called 'Mary' and another named 'Rojo'. Leaves grow large when staked.
    I didn't Google, so don't know if either name is correct.
    Years ago I had both, but at one period in my life,, I got bored with Philos and gave all but three away.

I'll check the link after submitting...

• beth95
    10 years ago

What's not to love about philodendrons?!

I have a small 'micans' that I found at Lowes for the princely sum of one dollar. It was half dead, of course, but has since responded beautifully to water and morning light, with lots of new growth. It's still a bit scruffy and disreputable-looking, but it's such a fighter!

• paul_
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by meyermike_
    Paul, what are your favorites? I would love to know....

Er .... not sure what you mean, Mike.

Favorites Philodendron/Epipremnum?
    Favorites Family or genus?
    Favorites I do own or have owned?
    Favorites I wish I had? ............

Toni, I've seen some of the different philos offered at Lowes, Home Despot, or Ghettomart -- they're "okay" just nothing terribly interesting. And then there are philos like Philodendron monstera deliciosa that -- while eye-catching -- are simply far to large for an apt.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I don't grow them, not because I don't like them but because I grow other plants (mostly) Hoyas, and Jades to name a few and I have too many of these I don't have room for Philodendrons,lol...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul...To carry on the question that Tiffany asked you earlier on Octo 17 at 12:32....Sorry...

i would like to know what your style of houseplants are....? I'll bet they are nice:-)

Hello Nancy!!!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Hi Paul. If buying plants locally was my only option, I'd have very few plants. :)

Big Box Stores, at least here, sell the same old types. Every so often, a rarer plant is found..
    I'm talking all varieties.

Paul, if you dislike Philos, it's no biggie. There's plants I dislike. ZZ is one example. I'm not fond of most cactus, although I adore succulents.
    If everyone liked the same plants, clothes, music, etc, it'd be one boring world.

As I stated above, I got bored with Philos..some were 'EXPENSIVE' to boot. Gave them to a friend. Gave her 32 to 37 Philos..can't recall the number since this happened around 2000.

I'm not trying to talk you into adding Monstera, but there are smaller varieties.

I think Mike was asking, what type of plants do you like.

Mike, sorry if I stepped my bounds, but I too am curious. I'm curious which plants everyone likes and collects.

Beth, half-dead plants are the best. :)
    (Unless mealy infested,) otherwise they're the best economically and makes one feel better saving its life.

Morning Michael....

Hey Nancy. How's your beautiful Adenium doing? You must show its photo more.
    It's definately a show plant. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Toni!!! No worries..You ask very good questions and I am glad you understood what I was asking.....

Speaking of Adeniums..... I would love to see a pic of Nancy's!!

By the way...I almost had a miute to take a few photos then time esacped me...I hope to have more by this weekend....I love these plants since if you think about all the rare tropicals I have, these are like a breath of fresh air, so easy.....lol

MIke

10 years ago

The pics I promised, pot with Philo 'Brasil, about 8 NOID burgundy plants, 'Pink Princess,' Scindapsus.

One side:
    {{gwi:107414}}

The other:
    {{gwi:89812}}

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hey Toni and Mike, since you asked for a picture of my Desert Rose and I don't have a Philo...here it is! Just took it this morning. Not a lot of blooms this time of year, usually late Spring (May) is when this one has more blooms than leaves...

BTW, some really beautiful Philos you guys have!! Enjoyed seeing them all...

Thanks for the interest :o)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Nancy, your Adenium is the nicest I'd ever seen and certain everyone here agrees.
    What's its height? Is it left outside year round?

It looks huge. Plus the pot seems to be on the shallow side. Amazing, simply Amazing.

Hey Mike, no I didn't forget you. :)
    After seeing Nancy's Adenium................

Mike, did you give up on succulents???

Purple, beautiful combo.

Perhaps it's my eyes, but I don't see your Pink Princess?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Toni!! I went outside to measure it...its 40" tall from the ground to the tallest branch and that pot is shallow its appx. 8" tall and almost 18" wide. The plant is pretty wide too, the widest part from end to end is about 44" so its over 3 1/2 ft wide,lol...

Last winter I was lucky I only had temps below 32 degrees 2-3 times so I only bring it inside the garage when the temps are forecast to be below 32 degrees other wise it stays outside all year...I might lose a lot of the leaves when its cold but it comes back in the Spring :o) and blooms like crazy in April and May.

• paul_
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by meyermike
    Paul...To carry on the question that Tiffany asked you earlier on Octo 17 at 12:32....Sorry...
    i would like to know what your style of houseplants are....?

In a word? Eclectic.

A lot of orchids, but also cp's, cacti/succulents, ariods, ...

Paul, if you dislike Philos ....

"Dislike" may be too strong a word, Toni, though "nothing to write home about" does kind of sum up my feelings on most of the ones I have seen.

That is one kick-butt awesome Adenium, Nancy!

This post was edited by paul_ on Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 14:07

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Paul!! Love your little witch cauldron animation...too cute!!

Toni, poking above the leaves of the Adenium is a Kumquat planted inground right behind it...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy!!! I could not go to bed without saying you the most nicest Adenium I have ever seen!!!! I am taken back by this one....What a great job you have done....It looks likes the trees in the back round are getting ready for winter...? Strange.
    Thank you!!! Nite:0-)

Toni..No worries...By the way, I some pics to take tomorrow to show you all....I think I have a lot less philos than I think..lol
    Oh yes, I will take a few pics of succulents too...

Paul...Nice choice of plants...I have plenty of the ones you like...I have over 30 orchids...They are always surprising me with flowers!! Love them all...

Tiffany!!! Such beauty in yours! I think they are so clean and to die for...I love the pinks! The yellows and the bright pastel colors...So nice!

Nite all

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Wait... there is another awesome philo thread and I wasn't in here? There are so many things to love about philos, but I think it's ease of culture and their relative lushness when taken care of that really sell them to me. I put several outside this summer in hanging baskets and I think it really helped with them rooting and taking off. Not a philo, but what I really wish I had was a variegated Monstera deliciosa.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike, lol...I think what you're seeing on those Oak trees in the back is the reflection from the morning sun? I took that picture fairly early and the sun had just come up...either that or its a combination of the lighting on my camera playing tricks on us...those trees do go through a little bit of changing of the leaves but nothing like what you guys see up north...:o)

Looking forward to pictures Mike!!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Nancy, size of your Adenium is extremely impressive. 44" wide, 40" tall.
    Wonder how tall/wide, in-ground, year round???

I remember your Adenium by heart, but can't recall the container.
    Have you repotted? Added different/new mediums? Trimmed roots?

Nancy, I'm sure I've asked before...do you know its age?

I agree with you regarding felled leaves.

The last two winters, my Adenium were placed in a very shady area..98% of leaves fell.

Last summer, once days lenghtened,foliage grew in...even bloomed.
    This past summer, 2013, was a dud. lol. We had more cool, gray days than warm/hot, sunny.
    It took months before leaves grew, and to be honest, Adeniums weren't as full this summer. One bloomed. Well, two..one is a youngin. One flower, first bloom since purchased.
    Both larger Adeniums are outside..I KNOW leaves will fall no matter how much light they get. boohoo. :

Anyway, I'd be proud if my Adeniums looked half as beautiful as yours...

Paul. Please don't think I was being rude; I wasn't. :)

As much as I love plants, there's types I dislike, or wouldn't write home about.. lol.

Mike, where's your pics?

• paul_
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL
    Paul. Please don't think I was being rude; I wasn't. :)

As much as I love plants, there's types I dislike, or wouldn't write home about..

No need to apologize, Toni, I didn't take it that way. I just was clarifying. To me "dislike" is stronger term than I'd use. I would have categorized my feeling toward them more as "ambivalence".

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hey Toni...I bought that plant in a small pot at (HD) of all places. If memory serves I bought it Fall of 2004, So its appx. 9 years old!

I trimmed the roots and changed the soil fall/winter of 2010

Here's a picture of the roots...

• marquest
    10 years ago

I like them but all the ones I see that I like they want too much for them and I am cheap.

I want pink princess, and some of the variegated ones. I only have orange prince I think the name is but no others.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Removing the old soil...and trimmed some of the roots shortly before repotting.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

And btw, you have a great memory Toni...I did change the pot back in summer of 2011 and trimmed the top a lot a few months before that...

• molliebee
    10 years ago

Hello everyone..mollie the newbie here...rather than start another philo threat. may i ask a question?. i found a small 'moonlight' philo at a box store. does anyone have any info of it..and perhaps photos?..it appears to be non- vining..leaves light green...what can i expect as it matures?..thanks for info....

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hi Mollie!

That philo is a self-heading type which means that the "vine" has very little space between the internodes which when compared to the ones that look more familiar to us as vines,don't make it look much like a vine at all. Unless I'm wrong the moonlight will get to about four or so feet high like selfheaders that are similar in their growth habit like prince of orange for example...that's a rough estimate of course. anyhoo I have a moonlight that I potted in with some other type of philos.

The photo is an older one of this setup...I need to take some newer ones.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My goodness NANCY! I have never seen the root system of such an enormous Desert Rose...Breath taking it is! Wonderful work.

Hello everyone...Such beautiful pix! I still owe you a few of mine but been to tired taking in dozens and dozens of plants into the plant room. Finally finished...Now I need to find my way through the jungle for the,lol

Mike

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike!! NO worries, I know this time of year you're a very busy bee :o)...Take care and don't over do!!

Loving all the pictures here...

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

My gosh I forgot how much I loved self-heading philos along with the rest. I had moonlight and black cardinal. I gave them to a fellow gw-er when i moved states. I miss them for sure! Great pics!

10 years ago

Toni, late getting back to your question about not seeing 'Pink Princess' in my last pic(s), sorry. When I got it, only a couple of the leaves had a pink spot on them. I've managed to sunburn them off. Hope more show up soon, I know it's "in" the plant somewhere. Up to me to find the spot that brings it out, my idea of fun.

So, that last pic of mine had a trellis in it and below is another, to bring up the point of watching aerial roots attach to things, having the option of choosing something for attachment/support. I find a plant that can attach itself to inanimate objects and climb on them interesting, however commonplace. I don't think I grow the most common one, heart-leaf vine, in a common way.

Mike (with some fun devil's advocatry on Paul's part) has inspired folks to really examine the question asked, and it's gotten an amazing amount of wildly various answers. This is one of the most interesting discussions here in a while, I like it a lot.

In profile, this is only a few inches thick.

10 years ago

But looking at it 'head-on,' it's as wide as the trellis. This plant can be any shape I want. I think that's pretty cool.

• molliebee
    10 years ago

+ thanks 'asleep in garden' for moon' philo info..good to know get large.. i have the heartleaf..mican..and one w/ large purple leaves..it is struggling sigh.. love all plants really..

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

i've found one to be excited about ;), though have no idea if and where it's available. it's a hybrid

Here is a link that might be useful: philo florida beauty variegata

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Oh man, that ones awesome!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My God!!!

You guys are all killing me...I love these pics..

I finally took some this morning and they never came out..I am so bummed!
    I'll be back with more:-0)

What a plant Petruska! I love RARE plants...

Tiffany..Is there a plant that you grow that does not look great? You grow your plants better than the nurseries about these parts..Great job!

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Wow, this thread grew.

Got about 10 plants outside that need cleaning then brought indoors. Whew!

Paul, glad you understood..sometimes words sound rude, when in fact a statement is meant to be humorous or opposite the readers' understanding.

Pug..Those roots! Beautiful.
    Do you trim so your Adeniums can remain in a small container?

Purp, I checked and re-checked for PP. lol.
    If yours grows large, it really should be in its own container. PP is a beutiful plant, with show-off colors.

Pet, the Philo you posted is sold on Ebay, BUT, whomever buys one needs to take out a second mortgage. lol.
    It was on Ebay during summer, haven't checked to see if it's still available.

It is a beauty! Toni

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

"Pug..Those roots! Beautiful.
    Do you trim so your Adeniums can remain in a small container?"

Hey Toni, Yes, I do trim the roots so I can keep it in the same size container for as long as possible :o)

Great pics everybody!!

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

Yes I love them because they are soooo easy to grow and they look great! This is one of my noid one that I have had for a while! I get a lot of comments on it!
    Grantgarden

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Back to the original topic;

What's not to like about Philodendrons? There's so many kinds, around 700 species or more depending on who you ask. They have varied growth habits, they can be epiphytic, hemiepiphytic, and some are terrestrially. Most will grow many cool aerial roots. A huge variety of leaf shapes and sizes ranging from a couple of inches to several feet long. Most of them are easy to keep growing in the house too.

This post was edited by dellis326 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 11:12

10 years ago

Yes, I don't have any facilities for fussy plants. They all go outside, they all come in. Plants at ease in the conditions I have are what I prefer, and Philo genus offers ample opportunity to fill a house with various pretty leaves. I wouldn't enjoy a plant that couldn't grow well here.

Apparently I'm one of the unlucky few sensitive (or have developed sensitivity) to the alkaloids in some Philodendrons. Heart-leaf vine gives me a rash if I get the sap on me. I haven't experimented with other Philos, but now operating under the assumption that all will give me a rash if I get their sap on me. So that would be one thing to not like, but if I eliminated all of the plants I have that I'm allergic to, that would be a lot of them, definitely not just Philos.

Knowing about it, I can just avoid exposure to sap when trimming/propagating. Just touching the unbroken leaves or stems is harmless, but washing right away after contacting the sap doesn't seem to avoid getting a rash. I don't think this should prevent anyone from being able to enjoy these plants if they find them appealing, as long as caution is taken for sensitive individuals to avoid touching the sap.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Nancy, wish I had the nerve to trim roots. lol.
    Whatever you're doing is definately working, and your Adeniums is doing as fantastic as ever.

Danny, WOW, what a Collection! Beautiful.

The last pic in row 3 is amazing. I want one that's variegated. lol.
    They're available, but you'd need to take a second mortgage to buy a 'cutting.'!!!

Someone in my hous still hasn't taken the a/c out of the LR window.
    So, Philos been sitting on a table for two weeks w/o light.
    Mostl viney types..

Thanks to Purple, I ended up combining some vine Philos..
    I owe you, Purp.

Here's a pic of sunless Philos..

{{gwi:107415}}

There's a million reasons I like Philos. I won't say all Philos are easy to care for, 'nowhere as hardy as Pothos,' but with a little humidity and light, they're second to Pothos.

Philos have different shapes, texture foliage and stems, colors, variegation.
    Some are slow-growing others fast.
    Size can be controlled by trimming.

Philos, Chlorophytum and Sans were the first plants I bought, back when. Toni