Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! My Yucca plant is croaking!

Posted by organic_amos Quebec, CA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 14:32

I'm really stumped as to why several of the stalks on my Yucca Elephantipes plant is dying off. You can't see much of this in the pictures below, but these stalks are turning yellow, drying up, and feel soft. I kept checking the water with a hydrometer, and for weeks it would register FULL CAPACITY, at the bottom of the pot. This plant always did well, this is only in the last few weeks. I took the plant out of the pot to check the roots sand soil. (see pics). Soil at top is indeed dry, but at bottom, it does seem moist. Roots are not growing out of the pot (its the original pot the plant was purchased in, but my theory was not enough drainage holes). I could not find any traces of bugs/infestation. The plastic pot its in has always been in a larger ceramic pot, with space underneath so the inner pot is not immersed in water. The plant is situated maybe 10 feet from a window (in a stairwell), but it (and other) plants have *always* done well in this location. Aug./Sept. weather was pretty mild.

So I have no idea what's happening or how to stop it. I cut off the bad stalks/leaves, but how to keep this from getting worse? Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! My Yucca plant is croaking!

Yuccas are not good low light plants, although some retailers will try to sell them as such. Ten feet from a window is low light and that is the primary problem. Inadequate light causes a plant to slowly starve so symptoms often take a long time to appear. The plant gradually sacrifices older leaves so it can continue to support new growth.

Better light is the only answer for you and it will take quite some time for it to stop shedding older leaves and gradually recover.

Will Creed
mrmothernature@gmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here