Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haeclark

new owner of a Ponytail palm

haeclark
17 years ago

I just bought a poney tail palm a week and a 1/2 ago. I hear they like to have lots of room to grow and also that their pots should only be a few inches bigger then the width of the plant itself...my baby is still just a few inches tall and wide (counting only the trunk) so how big or small of a pot should it be in? Stay in the 4" pot it came in or repot into a 8" or bigger pot? Beings that it likes room to grow I dont want its roots to become cramped, yet I also dont want to give it root-rot.

Is this soil good to use for it: 1-part sterilized soil, 1-part peat moss, bark, or leaf mold, and 1-part coarse sand or perlite. Or is there a diff kind of soil that would be better?

Okay, I know that when watering it, I need to soak it until water start to come out at the bottum, then I let it dry out. But how deep should it dry out in the soil before re-watering? Compleatly? Acouple inches?

Dose it need or like fertilizer...and if so, how oftin should I give it to the plant?

I hear they are slow growers, but I dont know exactly how slow that is, so this makes me neavous that it'll outgrow its pot.

any tips for growing ponytail palms would be great.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus