Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polly381

low-med light, plants

Polly381
11 years ago

I have two plant stands that I want to put plants on. I was looking at lowes yesterday but they didnt have much that is med to low light. My house is kinda dark in the winter when its cloudy, even though I have a lot of windows. One plant stand will be about 5 ft away from the window and back door. the other will be on the west side by the back door. both will get indirect light.

I would love some suggestions.

Comments (33)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Polly,

Oh goodness...First off, do you like plants that hang or plants that stand up?

That would be a great start. There are tons of plants that would thrive in those conditions, as long the mix doesn't hold moisture for too long of a time.

My local Lowe's was loaded with plants like that, many I think you are probably underestimating. In fact, a majority of the ones sold there would do good.

Mike:-)

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike, I love both, But this is for plant stands. Most of the plants I'm seeing right now at lowes are full sun or bright light. It gets pretty dark for days when its cloudy or snowing. So I was worried it wouldnt be enough light.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Polly...

What kind of plant stand? How big are the plant stands?
    I pictured something like a round tall one for room for only one plant. I have some of those and the only ones that look good on those are hanging plants.
    My Pothos loves it and is a great candidate for little light. I have one of those lime green ones that certainly brightens that spot up.

I also had a Boston Fern that grew huge, so huge I had to give it away.

The reason why I am asking is because depending on the size, some plants can get pretty big. If you can fit more than one on each plant stand, depending on the room, will also depend on what is advised:-)

Mike

• summersunlight
    11 years ago

I consider Chlorophytum Fireflash one of the best looking low light plants with its dramatic orange base. It's not always easy to find, but if you do find it, it's well worth getting.

Aglaonema/Chinese Evergreen is probably one of the most tolerant of low light of all. They come in a variety of leaf patterns and sizes.

If you think a vine would look nicer, pothos is probably your best bet.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

heres the first one the top shelf is about 3 ft high and theres about 14 in inbetween them.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

other one is a half circle with 4 shelves and one on the top. Its rod iron,from Mexico, they arent the greatest. The plants never seem to fit very well but I think if I use small plants it will be ok.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Summer, thanks,Chlorophytum Fireflash is a beautiful plant. I will see if I can find it.
    I have chinese evergreen so I can put that over there.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Think plants with big leaves, philodendron for example, ficus elastica. Or begonia which had red colouring under the leaves to reflect light back up.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks Larry, begonia is a good idea, its not real tall. They cant be to tall and remember the plants on the top shelf will block some light.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    11 years ago

What a beautiful indoor garden you have. Here are a few more suggestions for low/med light plants that could fit your stands - small-leafed peace lilies, small sanseveria such as s. trifasciata 'Hahnii', syngonium (hanging), cissus rhombifolia (grape ivy), small cuttings of dracaena species until they get too big, heartleaf philodendron.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

^I agree, gorgeous interior!

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh Thank you for the compliment Marlie, I will add those to my list.
    here's another pic, this is only half of them. heheee
    I'm a little obsessed. They had a hard summer, I had them outside and there was no rain then rain almost every day for 2 months.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

How about an Aspidistra? There are two varieties that I know of - one that gets about 2' tall and the other is about 6 or 8" tall and has white speckles on the leaves. It used to be a popular parlor plant, and is called the "cast iron plant" because it's just about impossible to kill. It needs shade and will thrive in low light. The small one with white speckles would be just about right for your space. I have some in my yard that I'm going to dig up and bring indoors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aspidistra pics

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks larry, I love my plants. My mother and my grandmother were plant lovers. My GMs house was like a garden with fish and parakeets. LOL I got the bug, so I started with plants 40 years ago. Of course I dont know everything, I still have a lot to learn.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Id love my interior like that-plants EVERYWHERE!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

My goodness... You have no need to go to a jungle, you live in one and it must be comforting! It is beautiful. It must be awesome sitting in there during the cold days of winter.
    The only thing you need is a soundscapes C.D with rain and the clap of thunder...

Is that a bird I see sitting on top of that branch?:-)

Such a great setup you have there. And I though I was plant crazy..lol

Very nice Polly!

Mike

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike it is a jungle. My hubby and I love it. When I had the plants outside for the summer it seemed so barren inside. The plants really add a softness to the interior.
    No bird Mike. I had a parrot, but he got a GF and he went off and got married. He got a new home.

Eahmel Thanks, I will add it to my list to look for.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Larry I have a small Sans I could probably start a piece for over there.
    thanks

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Polly, your room is AMAZING!! Great plants! Nothing else to suggest but wanted to say that - WOW!

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, As I am sure you know,its a passion. here's another, this is to the left of our TV area. My downstairs is all open. & the area with the plants is half a circle, with 5 large windows facing south to west. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with that area when we designed the house. I said to hubby, it will be all plants. Of course the piano snuck in there too. LOL

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

How about a travellers palm, Ravenula! Bananas? (Musa basjoo)

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Morning Larry
    there are some really pretty smaller palms. But I think they need more light, dont they?

• tifflj
    11 years ago

Polly. I LOVE the wood beams in your home. Beautiful!!!

Where can I find a chlorophytum fire flash? Oh my they are so pretty. I would love that addition to the family!!!

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Tiff, hubby cut them from wood on our property.
    I dont know where to find the chlorophytum fire flash. when I look it up, I will let you know. I was just at HD and didnt see it there.

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

the stand won't take big plants and the bottom shelf probably will be quite dark. I'd suggest just very common options: variegated pothos on the bottom, with strands looped towards the top and variegated spider plant on top(it will shoot out trailing babies very fast). both very easy to propagate and keep healthy.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Petrushka
    Your right, the plants cant be to tall. however it is about 2 ft wide. I can fit lots of viners on it, or low growers.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Petrushka
    Your right, the plants cant be to tall. however it is about 2 ft wide. I can fit lots of viners on it, or low growers.

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

hi! you can use top shelf for bought flower display - like smth in the pot that you can move away after flowers fade. this way you can put anything for a little time. also i see that you have a lamp over a stand - you can set up several african violets - it'll probably be ok for them to bloom under the light. or bring them after they started blooming. an orchid in bloom like a phal (lasts 2-3 months) can be a nice accent too. then ferns under it - you can find some pics with orchids for grouping displays.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

good idea using it for A.V. I like that idea I also like the idea of the orchid, but I'm not sure its a tall enough space. I have never had much luck with AV though. Maybe with the light above them they would do better.
    Thanks petrushka

• summersunlight
    11 years ago

I've never seen Fireflash at the big box stores I've been to, but you might want to try talking to the manager of the garden department to see if they could order one for you. I've heard that sometimes if you ask they can order something on request. I lucked out by finding mine at a local greenhouse that carries more unusual plants sometimes. Even if the big box places can't order one in, maybe a local place would be able to.
    If my fireflash ever sets seed or creates an offset, I will definitely offer them on our exchange forum here. :)
    I also checked around online. It looks like Chlorophytum Fireflash is available online at Kartuz Greenhouse and Hirt's Gardens if you wanted to get it online.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Summer, I will check it out.

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

you could try bromeliads in flower or just with colorful 'necks' on top. the flowers last a long time and bromeliads take low light and can be very showy.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Petrushka
    You know one time I was working at a mall during the holidays and they had a stand set up with bromelaids for sale. There were so many different varieties. It was incredible. I have never seen those varieties since. I only see the common ones. I have been looking for some ever since. I had a few but mine died because it was to dry in my house.I would like to try them again I think. But this time I will be running the humdifier.
    I wish I lived near that mall, I would see if they still have that stand.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH