Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Areca palm growing indoors

Posted by stalaster none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 14:46

Hi!

First time using this forum and very new in gardening

My problem is a beautiful areca palm tree that i don't seem to be able to keep healthy.
I have it about 3 months now and it keeps dying, leaf by leaf it dries and that doesn't seem to change when i change my watering pattern. There are some dots on the base of the branches and i noticed that some of the dead branches when i try to cut them they only need a little pull to come off.
I would appreciate some ideas of what can i do to save it.
I'll try to upload some pics
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Areca palm growing indoors

Welcome, Stalaster..

What type of care have you given your Areca? Light, water, soil, fertilizer and potting?

Arecas do well in medium light. Full sun can burn leaves.
Soil should dry between waterings; never keep soggy.

They don't need much fertilizer..3 times a year is sufficient. Palm fertilizer is number one choice. If you haven't Palm fertilizer, Fish Emulsion is second-best.

Three major problems growing Palms indoors is lack of humidity, stuffy air and Spider Mites.

Spray leaves daily, and shower once a week, if possible. Remove dead leaves.
Place in bright light, direct south or west summer sun is too harsh. Of course, now that autumn is here, most windows, despite direction is okay. But, they do need light.

If it's warm enough, keep your Areca in a room where a window is opened. Stuffy rooms cause all sorts of problems.

Do you have a photo of your palm? Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here