Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant swap, what about Europe?

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 14:53

I find it annoying that the Exchanges section is only available to those in the US! What about us guys outside of US with plants to swap?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant swap, what about Europe?

It's cost prohibitive (when legal) to send plants (or any package) across country lines. I'm sure that's the reason the exchange is limited to US, along with the amount of time plants would spend in a box. Probably not worth it for that reason even if there wasn't a legal hurdle to cross.

I bet a UK swap would be a big hit since there are a lot of forum readers from there. Nothing stopping you from getting it going. I've arranged/hosted a couple, would be happy to give you some tips.

o

Well it wouldn't cost that much to send as it would from america to england. Mind you I have received plants from Turkey and even Australia!
By the way, does anyone know of a lady from Turkey on here? Shes who I got my big Aloe from way back when...

o

No doubt. Does it actually prevent you from posting? I don't think anyone would mind if you did and just made it clear you're in UK.

o

greenlarry - there is a UK GW forum but it's pretty dead. I just Googled 'UK plant swap' and got a lot of hits. There's one at the link just as an example. I know nothing about it so can't say if it's any good.

GW is basically a US outfit so I'm not surprised there's isn't a UK exchange. The red tape and cost involved in shipping across international boundaries makes it difficult. But these things are not just there to annoy us. There is a history of disasters caused by shipping plant material between countries. Dutch Elm disease? Lily Beetle? Sudden oak death? Ash die back? And on and on. All caused by infected plant material being imported.

When I flew into Boston they confiscated an apple I was intending to eat on the airport bus. Too dangerous!

Here is a link that might be useful: UK plant swap

o

Hey thanks for that link flora, Ill definitely give that a go! Its kind of like bookmooch.com but for plants!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here