Return to the House Plants Forum

o
Colorful plants? Do you have any? Show and tell time. Pics:)

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (mikerno_1@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 15:12

I thought it would be nice to see what kind of plants you have that you enjoy for the color.

I will get this started and then I would love to see what everyone here has. It's show and tell time:-)

Here are a few of mine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mike:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful plants? Do you have any? Show and tell time. Pics:)

Oh those are pretty. You're about to have a lot of questions to answer about these lovely and cute plants... starting with what is the 3rd one please?

Are you serious!? I don't know what a plain green leaf is... anymore... but I'm sure none of my plants have them. They're not green at all, or variegated, or heart- or other interesting shape, says me.

Plants I recommend.

o

I enjoy the colour of all my plants, they're my favourite colour, green ;)
Nice collection- i love the euphorbia even tho its variegated.

o

Purple, the third plant is a Euphorbia, if Im seeing the pics in the same order on my phone as you are.
And mike the all green plant to the left of that looks like Pelargonium dichondraefolium- I used to have one.

o

Purple, that little variegated Euphorbia caught my eye, too. If you do a Google search on them as a group (variegated euphorbia), you'll lots of gorgeous plants. I love 'em. Great pictures, Mike!

Same for you, purple. I love all of the purples!

o

Purple, that little variegated Euphorbia caught my eye, too. If you do a Google search on them as a group (variegated euphorbia), you'll lots of gorgeous plants. I love 'em. Great pictures, Mike!

Same for you, purple. I love all of the purples!

o

Mike,
The 4th. picture down. What agave is that one? And except for the Jades, it seems we have a lot of plants in common.
Stush

o

This is my most "colorful plant" LOL

Ok Its a fake, The only reason I have it is because its hand carved(so I was told) Made of wood. People actually have asked if it was real.

o

Oh poo a Euphorbia. I'll probably get some weird rash just from looking at the pic. Think I see thorns, now that y'all say that.

Polly, that's the coolest fake plant I've ever seen, very cool!

I really like the last one too, the reddish one.

o

Polly, my goodness, your plant actually looked real after my last drink!lol
Seriously, I was going to tell you I loved it earlier.lol

Stush, that's a great question! I got it at a Cactus club meeting as a freebie from a nice member and she told me, but as usual, I forgot to write it down. It is a hard one to find. She said it will send off pups eventually. I will share when it does with you.

Rhizo...Thank you and I hope all is well with you. I owe you:-)

Greenlarry, it's ok. Let's turn this thread into a SHOW AND TELL for any of our prized and special plants, green or color. How many people do we personally know that are so appreciative of our plants as here? So, why not share the enthusiasm with each other. Pictures welcomed!
I fugure, green is a nice color too.
Let me see if I have something green, lol.

Purple...Remarkable. Your plants have always impressed me for sure. I love all your plants as well as everybody else's.\\/,,,;,/,;k;,;
:-_))))

Pictures away everyone. I would love to see all your plants in one thread to go back too anytime we want to:-)

o

Is that a variegated Gollum jade?! I've never seen a variegated version of that type of jade with before. Very cool!
I'm sure a lot of us would be interested if you had any interest in trading cuttings of that next spring.

I don't have pics, but my most colorful plant right now is my Fireflash. I have hopes that my Phal Samera (violacea x bellina) is going to bloom soon for the first time and then that will be an awesome bit of color!

o

Purple, mike LOL. The only fake I will ever own. hehee.

They are all gorgeous, I love the color of the Euphorbia.

What is the photo with the flowers, Love it.

o

What a nice thing to say, Mike. They all impress me, so that's just icing on the cake!

Don't think this pic is in that link, one branch of D. marginata has really different, almost albino leaves. Really diggin' it! There's about 450 pics at imageshack by clicking below pic.

o

My only addition to this thread so far, my little peperomia thingyfolia, forgot the name.

o

Thngyfloria sounds about right Greenlarry.lol I can't remember the name of half my plants since the winds knocked them over last year and mixed all the labels up!
I like it though. Love the yellow look. It's great to have plants that can actually look yellow without something wrong with them.

Purple, where in the world did you get that plant? Now, I want one. I LOVE the bright colors on that. like you said, especially the white. That's a keeper for sure.

Polly....Too funny. That flower belongs to one of my 'Siam Jade' orchids. It smells heavenly!

Summersunshine, of what a warm name...How do you like the 'Fireflash'? Is it easy to grow in a darker corner of a room to brighten it up? I here they can be extremely bright in nature.
Yes, that is a variegated 'Gollum'...You are good with knowing that. I got it from a friend in Germany. I've never seen them sold about here other than one a good friend of mine sold on e-bay. He sold a small cutting for a good price, that's for sure. Let's see what spring brings us.

Ok, time for a couple more.

Here is a 'green' plant, kind of cute with tiny balls thingy.

Photobucket

And here is my 'Oleander Peach Fragrant Peach Blossom' variegated.

Photobucket

And a little friend who keeps watch over things.

Photobucket

MIke

o

Thngyfloria sounds about right Greenlarry.lol I can't remember the name of half my plants since the winds knocked them over last year and mixed all the labels up!
I like it though. Love the yellow look. It's great to have plants that can actually look yellow without something wrong with them.

Purple, where in the world did you get that plant? Now, I want one. I LOVE the bright colors on that. like you said, especially the white. That's a keeper for sure.

Polly....Too funny. That flower belongs to one of my 'Siam Jade' orchids. It smells heavenly!

Summersunshine, of what a warm name...How do you like the 'Fireflash'? Is it easy to grow in a darker corner of a room to brighten it up? I here they can be extremely bright in nature.
Yes, that is a variegated 'Gollum'...You are good with knowing that. I got it from a friend in Germany. I've never seen them sold about here other than one a good friend of mine sold on e-bay. He sold a small cutting for a good price, that's for sure. Let's see what spring brings us.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

MIke

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

MIke

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

MIke

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

MIke

o

Seeing as we're outdoors now can we have this lovely lime tree, autumning up in yhe village?
By the way its Tillia, not the fruit. ;)

o

How in the world did it post 4 TIMES!? I only posted once and that is all that was there when I came back. It is not possible. Does anyone know why this happens?

Larry..Nice! I love the colors of that tree. You are into fall to what's looks like exactly where I am. Interesting.

Here is a few more of jades coloring up nicely with the cold nights.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A Gold Fish plant with a bunch of swimmers.

Photobucket

o

Some of mine
Niada

Here is a link that might be useful: Niada's Plants

o

Some of mine.......

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm having a mental block with the last one. It's related to lipstick/goldfish plants and has fuzzy leaves.....what is it again?

o

Oh, I have to include one more green thing.......

Photobucket

This is Patrick, he's a Blue Crowned Conure and is 25 yrs old.I thought I should include him because there are a lot of plants in *his* room - and he's green. :)

o

Mike, yes, definitely autumn here.
And mike, that plant in your third pic looks like one I had!

o

Niada, you have gorgeous plants.

Here are some that I have now outside
top of MH

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Awww Elkay hes beautiful

o

Awww Elkay hes beautiful

o

Niada, pretty name, btw, for some reason Photobucket wouldn't show me larger versions of your images, which is a shame because I saw a lot of color in there! Nice!

Elkay, I want all of your plants, so pretty! Especially the first one! Pretty bird!

Mike, that green balls thingie is so cute! Would look cool commanding a pot of string-of-pearls, IMO.

o

Oh my. I got a lot more than I bargained for! AMAZING plants everyone, and now Elkay has added those beauties. I was wondering where you have been.
Look at the colors of that Patrick too.
He looks like he is posing for us. How cute is that? 25 years is amazing! You must be doing something right. I have never heard of a parrot living that long. He looks darn good for that age.

Niada...Just fantastic and I like how you had them all set up. So organized, just like my sister. NICE! Thank you for the show.

Polly, where in the world did you get that blue flowering plant? What is it? Will it grow in my area? Is it a perennial? I see a little bee on one of the flowers. Truly beautiful.

Purple..lol. You are so right. By the way, that rock is huge facing my house, and that plant is so tiny, the photo tricks you and makes you think it's huge.
I just noticed that.

Mike

o

Mike, did you see my post about your plant?

o

Thanks Mike
which one the Monkshood (Aconitum)? I bought it from a bulb co, that I would never recommend. But these bulbs were great. I don't remember which Aconitum variety it is though. Of course someone will warn you its poisonous but my grandchildren have it in their yard and have never bothered it. Its one of my favorite plants. This particular species has a very long flowering stem. Probably about 2 ft. Some varities the flower is not that big. The whole plant is around 6ft high. I looked it up and its hardy in zones 3-9. They like a lot of water. At our other house the spot they were in was pretty soggy. sun to some shade.
The other purple flower is asters, I believe. The salmon colored are mums.

o

Yes Polly, the monkshood. Wow Thanks a bunch. That is the first time I have ever seen that. It must glow in your yard.
I am posting from my cell. I hope I spelled that right

Purple. I was wondering. Where did you get that colorful Dracania? I would buy one tomorrow if I could. I have always wanted one of those.

Hey Larry. No I didn't see it. Darn. I shall have to take another look and get back to you. Supper is calling me. I'll be back Larry :)

o

Ok Larry. You had me curious. How in the world did you do that. ? Lol
My cell only let's me see certain stuff.
Did you like the smell of that one. It almost smells like apes to me.
I love this one :) ok now time to eat.

o

Thank you to all.
Polly, you have great plants, too. I don't have a garden. Some of my plants are at my friends patio. I could never prune my ficus elastica with Al's help. Always forgot the camera when I went there. Will wait for next season. Oh, and I forgot, did you put your plants in the new stand? I have one identical. I'll post a picture. I don't use the last shelf. Just decorations. Your parrot is amazing. How old?

Purple, thanks. I wanted to post some of my plants for a long time, but couldn't figure out the right way. I know there is a post with clear instructions, I'll find it. Maybe I sized them too small. My name, parents put their initials together, it's special to me.

Mike, I feel like I know you for a long time. I've been reading soils for a few years and adopted your soil mix, mostly gritty, a few 5-1-1. I saved Al's links and report to them when I have problems. Store bought soil just doesn't work for me. Killed my share of plants and I'm enjoying my healthy ones now. Since I can't have flower ones, color foliage is my thing now. Oh, and I have to keep them organized. Don't want my husband reason to say we're not going to have room to sit down one day. I have close to 100 including cuttings. 10 are coming back from my friends soon.

Thanks guys
Niada

o

Niada, it's probably just me, or photobucket is jealous I chose imageshack. Nobody else complained.

Mike, I don't know why that tree has made that strange branch. I've had the tree for a couple decades and it's always been a regular D. marginata 'tricolor.' In the past 5 years, it's suffered a lot of breaks, and that strange branch showed up this year. So all I can tell is you is to throw your tree across the room a few times over the course of a few years and it might do that too.

I started a thread about it here but I still don't understand what's going on. Different sources say different things. It continues to grow like this, albino on half.

o

Mike

Do you like blue plants?

o

Mike, it smells like apes? Lol

o

Well I used to have this pelargonium, Vancouver Centennial, he was pretty colourful!

Photobucket

o

Forgot a few........

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

everyone has gorgeous plants. Larry what is the plant under the geranium?

Elkay what is the third plant, love your Sansevieria's. Very pretty.

o

Polly,
It's a philodendron prince of orange.

o

Elkay, these forgotten plants need a new home, where someone will remember them! You can fix the problem by sending them to me, especially that Syngonium! The pink-stripe Philo must be a boy, I see it was measuring itself... Surprised it's not looking in the mirror at its' pretty self. Love all of these too!

o

Polly, if you mean the orange flowers, those are part of the Pelargonium above it ( not a geranium )

o

Purple......Lol - good one! I guess the Ficus E is a boy, too. :)

o

You're right I didn't even notice the yardstick in that pic. Giggles!

o

Elkay
It's a philodendron prince of orange
Very pretty, I dont think I ever seen one.

Larry
Polly, if you mean the orange flowers, those are part of the Pelargonium above it ( not a geranium )
That is an incredible flower, Love it. I dont think we have those here, or at least I have never seen them.

o

Ive seen a few of that pelargonium on here, including one as a bonsai!

o

I bought this one from a grocery store a few weeks ago. I don't know what she is - but I LOVE HER COLORS. She's so cute and small... and I got her for under $3. I love bargains. :)

o

Roseyd you lucky so and so, thats a Rex Begonia, been looking for one for ages!
Lovely.

o

Here is my TI Hawaiian good-luck-plant( Cordyline ).

o

REALLY? a begonia? I seem to have an affinity to those plants and never realized it. :) I always match the word begonia to flowers ... so when I see a leafy plant without flowers - I always think it has to be something else.

thanks for the ID, Larry. Now I'll be better able to to research if I'm giving this plant enough lighting or not. There'd been no tag on her so I was guessing that with her 'colors' she'd be mid to low light ...

o

Roseyd, yea, for me the most interesting begonias are the foliage ones. They still flower but theyre not significant, its the foliage. And see the red tinge under the leaves? That shows that it normally grows in shady forest. Not a sun seeker.

o

Uhoh, Roseyd. You may not even realize it yet, but you're now hopelessly addicted to Begonias, the most varied and complicated group of plants, IMO. Yours is definitely a rhizomatous, if that helps you research it. There are a ton of them and I'm still not sure which are called Rex, or if all of the rhizomatous are in this category. There's a Begonia forum, if you want to get specific with questions.

My neighbor gave me some cane Begonias and a rhizomatous and I just love how fast Begonias grow in general.

Here's some of the ones she gave me, the red one's a cane called 'Lucerne' or 'Lucerna' from what I've been told, just before I repotted it and snapped most of the canes to, hopefully, have a fuller plant on the porch next summer. These naked stems don't turn me on. The other two never did recover well from the bucket of stinky water they were in before she handed them to me. They're such sad plants, they got repotted too. Wish they'd improve or die.

o

Wow, everyone has such beautiful plants..VERY colorful.
Mike, your Jades..........gorgeous.

Elkay..Patrick is one pretty Conure. What a sweetheart. Does he talk, Conure vocabulary?

We had a Jenday, Chico..He'd sit on our shoulders day and night..One day, DH walked outside with Chico on his shoulder..DH went to the car, forgetting Chico was sitting on him..When DH opened the car door, Chico got scared and flew up a tree. I sat outside until 1am trying to lure him down..Birds fear climbing down, they'll go up but not down..At 4am, I went back outside, again calling him..I saw him on a tall branch. He started whistling..
It was a Thursday, street cleaning day. Once the truck came by Chico took off..I cried so bad..I did everything possible..called the police, fire department, hung posters, placed ads in local papers..
I pray someone, 'good person/people,' found and are taking care of him.

Chico

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19171044@N04/1924924357/

For some reason, they won't allow me to copy and paste picture. Darn! Anyway, we all miss him.

Rina..I love true blue flowers...Your blooms are a true Blue... Would you happen to know its type?
True blue flowering plants are impossible locating.
Light, medium or dark blue, as long as it's blue, NOT purple. I get upset when I see a plant listed as 'blue' flowers when they're not blue, but purple.

OG...great seeing you here..Your Ti is beautiful, very colorful.

Recently brought my B. Pony Tail indoors..got it at Tion Nursery, in 1999...it was sold as Red PT, so I ended up with one.. :)

B. Pony Tail, Red.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19171044@N04/8109130585/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19171044@N04/8109128381/

o

Hope this one propagates as easily as another cane I have. The goal/plan is to have a new top from each broken stalk and to have each top continue to grow. Time will judge the wisdom of this maneuver...

o

Don't think pics worked..Let me try something different..Sheesh, why do they update????

Ponytail

Pony Tail

Pony Tail

o

Da*m computers!

Chico

conure

o

well, I like smaller plants. I hope that my new begonia won't become leggy. I have limitted window space, and the taller the plant - the more I worry about how it'll fit into the window and get sunlight. I suppose I should be really glad that it's a shade plant, knowing this. :)

I actually have very few 'small' plants. I've been collecting some fragrant flowering plants - a mix of jasmines and a few vining plants as well (all with the idea that I'd turn them into house plants) - as the honeysuckle grows seemingly by the minute - I worry that she will become to tall to fit under my lighting fixture.

the things we do for houseplants. :) A happy home is a green home. :)

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 19:53

Toni

That is gentian. I love how it blue it is next to chartruse (photo below):
Few more blues...

I appologize - I strayed; most are from the garden.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Rina

o

Hi Mike!!

Great Thread..

Here are some of mine..

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Apricot Plumeria
Princess Victoria
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Maya
Saigon Moon
Photobucket
Photobucket

Thanks for all of the wonderful pictures everyone!!

Love them all!

Take care,

Laura

o

An african violet I received from my Mom. It's hard to tell in the picture, but it has pink variegated leaves.

Planto

o

Well, happy Wednesday all! Wow, have I been missing out these past few days.

Let me start by saying BEAUTIFUL to all. Just amazing. everyone's plants look better than what I see at the nursery and many have plants I have never seen there.

Rina, thank you for the special pic. I just love blue on any plant. You should see what I do to get my hydranga to look blue like that.
It is beautiful.:-)

Planto, I use to have one like that, but my cat killed it. I love the color and teh flowers it gives you. Thank you

Laura, my goodness, what a treat! Oh I wish the sun was that bright here and I wish I could plant a palm like that in my yard. Absolutely amazing, your yard and the photo's of plants you share with us.
I see some that look very familiar! :-)))
Now, how in the world did you get that 'variegated plumeria'? I love it, even without flowers. Very colorful pictures and thank you!

Rosey...You should take a peek at the 'Fragrant Forum' where I spend a lot of time too. The people there are amazing and I would love to see pictures of your fragrant plants. For me if there is no color, then fragrant is a must.

Toni...Lol..I hear you about computers. Thank you for such nice color and that bird is amazingly beautiful! I am so sorry to hear about the one you lost. I saw one of them at the pest store the other day for 600 dollars! They have the personality of a dog and like to lay on their backs with their feet in the air.
Now that is a different Pony Tail palm. You can't find any of those locally.

Purple...You and your RED begonias. I love them all. If I were to get one, it would have to look as red as that. I love it. Do you think it's from your sunlight, or is that it's natural color? Beautiful.

Elkay, once again, fantastic! I have always wanted one of those pink philo's and just never had the courage to give up 20 dollars for a tiny one. I have heard they are hard to please but you must be doing something right.

Larry...lol That was suppose to say 'apples''..Auto correct, you know? That made me laugh...

Hello Annie:-)) Very nice, even though it's not fragrant.lol I can't believe all the other plants you have too. And here I thought you only liked fragrant ones. ;-)\

Niada...Thank you for that:-))) I hope we have all been able to give you support and encouragement. I am so glad you are using these great mixes and I can't believe how much you have learned. I am happy you found this forum and all of us. Keep up the good work and please keep sharing your pics..:-)

Hey, maybe we should start a thread call 'Unusual plant shapes'? Laura, hint, hint. I see many weird ones here. lol

Mike

o

Rosey, that kind of Begonia doesn't make stems, so can only get as tall as the tallest petiole. Good choice for cramped space.

Laura, you are one of my heroes! Love your plants and your place! Smashing!

Rina, sorry you've got the blues! LOL! What do you think of that Talinum? Have you had it around long?

Planto, I had no idea there were variegated AV's. Cool.

Planted about 8 or 9 various cuttings saved over winter in this spot and they definitely did their job of blocking the view from the street to the compost pile. Have since put up a carport, so it's no longer an issue, but still love this spot. How many jars is it going to take to save these stems?

o

Aw, mikey, I spend a significant amount of time on the fragrant forum too. :) As of last night, I'm in LOVE with my Chinese perfume tree. She's still very small - I had cut her down when I bought her so tht she's only about 8 inches (an in process attempt at creating a bonsai) - but, what a lovely scent came off of her last night! I was in my bedroom, reading a book - and all I could smell was this wafting soft lemony odor. What an absolute delight.

Best spot having fragrant plants in my bedroom.

My jasmines seem to be closing up shop for the season. Not a flower in sight. My little gardenias are slowly growing under the T lights - but no blooms. I have a feeling that the next plant that will scent my home will be the Night jasmine. She's been growing quite a bit in this past month. I may even need to repot her out of that 6 inch pot.

I gotta say it - I LOVE the Christmas Cactus - and the Jaguar pot! what style! It's fabulous, Laura. :)

Also, I came really close to buying a 'white' crown of thorns. I have a red one - which seems so 'common' compared to the white. :)

So am I right to think that this one (posted below) is also a begonia? My friend has this - it's about 6 foot tall and I love it, but I'm afraid to take a clipping because it may be to big to fast for the lighting capabilities I can give it in my attic/small windowed apartment.

o

Roseyd, definitely another begonia. Note the teardrop shaped leaves with off centre petiole attacent.

o

I may as well rename myself begonia-girl, if this keeps up. :)

o

Rosey..so happy you decided to visit HP Forum.
Limitted window space..time for shelves w/lighting?? :)

So happy hearing your Honeysuckle is doing well..You're doing a great job keeping HS indoors. :)

Rina...Not to worry about straying. Your blues are worth straying and simply gorgeous. Wonder if Gentian is hardy to z5?? I'll have to check..

Some blues look lighter than others..is it the lighting, sun or just different??

Laura...My God!!! Your plants are THE best! Definately show plants.

Your Thanksgiving Cactus looks fantastic it its container, and soooo many blooms.

Love your variegated Agave and that Pony Tail! Now, that is some PT!

Are your Plumerias still blooming? Those colors! Bet you sit in your yard most of the time..

Planto...very pretty AV..variegated are my favorite. Stems are so very red.

Purple..love your 'Purple' garden...it's so colorful. A serene place to relax and enjoy.
The Coleus flower is so tall....

Mike, long story, but after posting and explaining Chico's disappearnce, dh took Coco, 'dog' to the woods, and lost him. Dh came home, shouted I need help, Coco's gone.
Thankfully,, Coco is much smarter than Dh. He found his way back to the spot Dh's truck was parked, sat down,, and waited..If Coco hadn't come back, I'd be in jail now.

Rosey...are your Begonia flowers pink or red?? Wow. 6' tall.

Can't blame you for not taking cuttings..Something might go wrong. 'Murphy's Law.'

Everyone has such beautiful plants..luv them...

o

It will keep up! Begonias are insidious. Once you let just one in the house, they will invite their friends over and let them in while you're asleep or not home. At first you might not see the new interlopers, but they start to get comfortable and will eventually forget to hide when you come in the room. Motion-detection activated video cameras might help, but all it would show you is which of your plants has more friends and how long the new one(s) has been there. You'll start noticing Begonias you didn't see before, and having dreams about them. You'll become attached to their blooms and if they take a break, (which they will if they catch you taking them for granted,) you'll be out at the stores, even late at night, looking for one with blooms on it NOW to feed your hopeless junkie habit. Next thing you know, you'll realize your house and yard are too small, and really in a much too cold place. Then... well it gets really ugly after that, I guess. I haven't gotten to that point yet. Um, that's what I read... but I'm not sure there's any truth to it... really, I have no idea, this is all just stuff I heard... somewhere...

o

yes, the friend's begonia - 6 feet. She brings it outside to sit on the patio in the summer, under an awning - but the light comes in filtered and lovely. The flowers are almost a fuschia pink color mixed with salmon. hard to describe it - but, very tempting. Yes, I may end up taking a few clippings from her. she cut down the plant a bit when she brought it inside a few weeks ago -and the clippings are already in vases coaxing out roots.

I'm not bad, not really. I don't think I have more than 20 pots in my house ... and while I have a few plants that could use separating like my aloe - well, it's the wrong time of year to transplant after all...

I am really happy with my honeysuckle. She's probably about 20 inches tall now. I had to put in a stick already to prop her so she doesn't tempt the cats to play with her. I'm having much better luck with the honeysuckle than that darn mandevilla. every time I water her, another leaf turns yellow. How dry must she get before I give her a drink?

I like small plants - but, why do I keep buying vines and shrubs? I have a 4 year old Rosemary bush that I keep in the second floor hallway. She's a beauty - every time I brush a hand over her - the scent of rosemary is intoxicating.

I really wished I liked African violets... they stay small, right? :) But they don't even tempt me. These days, I've been researching dwarf lilacs and butterfly bushes. (silly me)... what else can't I fit in my attic window space?

o

Roseyd, begonia girl sounds good...

o

Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 16:07

Mike - blue hydrangeas - I am thinking...coffee grounds, vinegar, rusty nails burried, aluminum sulfate, high P fert, even heard of broken pieces of concrete "mulch" since the lime will leach out...& I am sure there is much more?

purple - first time I bought Talinum (Talinum paniculatum 'Limon' - tender perennial) was 3yrs ago. It self-seeds, so it's around ever since. I really like it, and save seeds too. I like it's common name - Jewels of Opar. It really is like jewels - tiny rose-red flowers, then seedheads that are bronze-colored. And chartruse leaves.
Yeah, have got blues - but also reds, pinks, yellows, orange, purple...speeking of purple - below is a beautyberry with it's purple berries:

Toni gentian is supposedly hardy to zone 5 - see true blue here:

http://www.perennialresource.com/plants/general-perennial/1829_gentiana-true-blue-pp20433.aspx

And yes, some of the blues are lighter (try to click on the pics, should open in phototbucket for larger image - it is in public album).

roseyd - my mom had begonia just like your frieds; it was georgeous, probably 7' tall. She had at least 20 stems growing in huge container. I loved it, it was a forest to me (I was probably 5-6 yrs old). It was blooming all the times, exactly same flowers. She called it Begonia Rex. I have no idea if that was correct name or not.

Rina

o

Rina, what are those purple berries? :)

o

Nice Callicarpa!

I'm loving the Talinum that showed up here a few years ago. It's welcome to fill-in however it wants to around a knockout rose. Do you find the blooms to be closed during the day, then open in the evening? Plant with morning glories or moon vine for "blinking" effect?! LOL!

Got this Fittonia recently. It's either burning too slowly to see it yet or it likes a lot of sun, the tag said low light...?

o

Rina...thanks..I wrote down the name. Come spring, if everything is okay, I'm going to look for Gentian, make sure they send various blues..thanks so much.

What's the plant w/purple berries?

Purple, beautiful color Fittonia. Will you grow in a pot or in-ground?

Some colorful plants...

Most people don't care Euphorbia Nero, but it's one of my favorite Euphs.

Euphorbia

C. Hummel's Sunset

Crassula

C. Hummel's

Crassula

S. Amate 'Dazzler'

Schefflera

Stromanthe..pic came out too dark

Stromanthe

Moses/Rhoeo

Rhoeo

Klenia

Kleinia

Crassula Pubescens

Crassula

One and only African Violet

African Violet

Aloe
Aloe

Tradescanta...piece fell on the ground and rooted..It's prettier than mom

Setcreasea

Ginger

Ginger

List is endless..lol..

o

Toni...Keep going..lol

By the way, I LOVe that Dazzler,Stromanthe,Aloe and the Ginger. Now, do you konw how any of us can aquire any of them? Nice colors!

Look at those purple berries. I have never seen anything like them before. Different. Boy when I was asking for color, I never imagined so many plants here.

Purple, there you go again..lol. Nice! :-0)

Rina, I am not that crazy with mine, but close to it..lol. You forgot the Aluminum sulfate, is that what it's called?
Oops, I see you got that too. Funny. I think you speak from experience.

If I forgot anyone, I'm sorry.I had to run, but beautiful plants everyone as usual! I am starting to like Begonia's these days.

o

Toni that plant you called Aloe looks odd!

o

Purple, I want that Fittonia!!

o

Hi, Toni, How are you? just stop by this forum and am glad to see you are here. What colorful birds, both Patrick and Chico...

Hi, Laura,the queen of Plumeria, I haven't see you for a while, just want to say hi. I am finally getting a plumeria.

Mike, indeed, most of my plants are fragrant, but there are some interesting house plants aren't... if you count black bamboo as a house plant...

beautiful and healthy plants, everyone. sorry, too many here to comment on individually. They are all very nice.

o

Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 17:26

The shrub with purple berries is Callicarpa, common name Beautyberry.

Berries stay on for very long time after all leaves are gone; eventually (after being cold for quite a while) berries shriwell & turn brownish.

Rina

Toni, I love that Dazzler and Ginger too.

o

Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 19:06

o

Hi Guys and Gals!!

Planto.. Love your Varigated AV. Just Beautiful!! I haven't seen one before. It is Quite impressive!! : )

Hi Mike!! That Varigated Plumeria is called "Maya" it was purchaed from a seller in Thailand. Known not to be a real inflo producer, but i still love the leaves though.

I have seen your thread over at the Palm forum. It sure would be fun to have a Palm in your yard. It is possible to Zone push in your area, but it would have to be protected during the winter. It is lots of work in the north. But, worth it if you love them!!

Some do look familar eh? ;-)

Purple.. Thank You!! Love all of your plants as well. You have always giving great advise and i love all of your pics!! Love your porch too! You have a wonderful place to grow. Thanks for the nice comments! I love your Fittonia.. Gorgeous!!! Your purple garden is just lovely!!

Roseyd... I have had that leopard Container for 29 years and i just love it too! It takes on a new personality with each different plant that i place inside the container. Thank you!! I love all of your Begonias.. Love all of the colors. You have an amazing collection and i am sensing that you have many others? ;-) Love to see more pics...

Greenlarry.. I think you just gave Roseyd a new name!!

How appropiate!! I love it!!

Hi Toni!! Thank You. You are so sweet! You have a wonderful collection and i always love to see your pics.

What a collection you have..Beautiful colors. Simply Lovely!!

Rina.. HI!! I also love all of your striking blues and purples.. The Gentian is a beauty, i agree. All of your pics are so vivid and just jump from the screen with such intensity. WOW! Love them all!

Hi Olympia.. : ) LOL.. Nice to see you as well!! Hope you are doing well.. Im so glad you have one.. They also mulitply in the night.. Beware!! LOL.. Love to see what you have. What variety do you purchase?

Take care everyone!!

Beautiful pics.. What a great thread Mike!!

Laura

o

Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 22:43

Laura

Thank you. You know I just love your plumerias.
And the palm trees.

Well, I can't resist, here few more:

*Sweet pepper - brown, small just like photo
*Parrot plant (Impatient niamniamensis)
*tagged as 'Somona plant' - could not ID on net; looks like euphorbia to me
*Jewel orchid (Ludisia discolor)
*Dichondra argentea (D. silver falls)

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I think i see Toucan Sam in that tree!! ;-)

Rina.. Where do you keep all of your plants?

Your house must look like mine. Does your DH have "eye allergies" because of all of the plants? LOL..

Im so excited to see these pics.. Beautiful!!

Laura

o

Rina,,,,Do you have a sign for cats that says..:OFF LIMITS"? lol

Unbelievable all the plants here! Many enablers here if you ask me..lol

Laura!! Much love your way and may you have a sweet sleep.
In fact, I hope everyone here has a safe and sound night.
Love the 'Maya'!

Olympia...What in the world is 'black bamboo'? Are you going to make me want another plant besides the dozens more here? Arg!

o

hi guys,
ohh man i LUV these threads,
such gorgeous plants, and unusual ones too,,
i got 'Desktops' for the whole year on this (1) thread! lol

Laura
before coming here n seeing Yours, i'd never even Heard of Plumeria,,
my God those things are absolutely STUNNING.
and yes the 'white' crown of thorns, luv -it, 'on' the list.
btw i think its time maybe ya got a new 'pool-boy/gardener',,
shall i forward my resume' !?? hehe

Mike,
Your succulents are CRAZY mr! wow dude,,,
man i gotta know what that little ('green' plant, kind of cute with tiny balls thingy) IS?
anyone? is that a Sedum? cremnosedum?? thats really cool! how old is it?

Purple,
crackin-me-up lady lol :)~

ok, dont laugh, ive like (1) plant w/Color! lol
but, so long as we're all on Purple anyway hehe
it took me over a Mnth to get it from a local garden Cntr, its my 1st semi-successful plant/pot pairing, And being jst recently repotted in 'gritty', its finnally starting to show some new growth.
ohh, and (1) 'cheater', does pot 'color' count?? hehe :)~

really GREAT plants! and pics!
some you kids have used a camera before i thinks? hehe
Please, keep em comin' :)

um Mike? are you still Here?? lol
..dont make me start singin Island tunes again mista! hehe :)~

Crassula variegated

'dwarf' Philo

o

Silentsurfur! Now, where in the world did you get those pots? I love them...
Hum, that top picture is so perfect and that perfect pot with that perfect plant and the perfect coloring......' Me gusta'!

You know, I have no idea how old that ball thing is! A wonderful friend gave it to me and all I know is that is can take some time before the trunk can look like that....You should see the picture of one I saw on the cactus forum...Quite the pic I'll tell you.lol

Have a fun and happy day

o

Silentsurfur! Now, where in the world did you get those pots? I love them...
Hum, that top picture is so perfect and that perfect pot with that perfect plant and the perfect coloring......' Me gusta'!

You know, I have no idea how old that ball thing is! A wonderful friend gave it to me and all I know is that is can take some time before the trunk can look like that....You should see the picture of one I saw on the cactus forum...Quite the pic I'll tell you.lol

Have a fun and happy day

o

All I can say is WOW! I am behind on this thread so all I am going to say is, You are all very talented growers, green thumb masters. I am very impressed.

o

Good grief, plants overload! Silent, what are those last two plants?

o

Silent, LOVE LOVE LOVE those pretty pots, but how do you get the roots out later? Did I mention I LOVE them?

A Callicarpa (beauty berry bush) I saw in an untended area recently. A lovely native shrub, makes a great garden plant, as seen by Rina's pic above. Looks like hers is getting more light.

o

Morning All,

Mike, you're funny...Add more! lol.
Thanks...notice the variegation??? :)

Larry...Don't know how to take your remark..My Aloe looks weird? lol

Hey OG..Glad to see you. Thank you..Chico was a sweetheart.

Rina, thank you.

Nice plants..love the Angelica. The first plant, too. Your Hoya is carnosa, but don't know which variety.

Laura, thank you...feelings are mutual.

Rina, I haven't seen a Parrot Plant in ages..love its flowers..
Looks like Euphorbia to me, too
Your Ludisa is very nice..how do you keep stems standing upright?

SS..love your Jade. So very colorful. Is the second plant a Philodendron??? Nice pot.

Hey Purple..there's so many different bushes. I had Sweet Bush and Cherry Bush, 'outdoor garden,' until the 17 yr Cicadas came by and devoured them. Brats..

o

Larry, thats the way I feel. I got behind on this thread and now I feel overwhelmed. LOL
I love the Callicarpa, I wonder if it would grow here. I am right on the border of 5/6 zones

o

Polly, I had one that did fine for years in OH, just north of Columbus, 5b. It's the kind of thing you probably need to go to a real nursery for, not WM, L's or HD.

Love this plant. Doesn't try to get huge (even after 8 years in my Mom's garden here in AL) or need much fussing over.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Callicarpa americana profile

o

Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 10:54

Laura; I have probably same set-up for plants as most of us plant-horders - in every room of the house. I have house all to myself for few yrs now, so nobody is complaining. So far I didn't develop allergies, hope it stays that way.

Mike; animals moved away with the kids (3 cats, 3 dogs, huge fish tank and others). While outside, I have bigger problem with the squirrels & chipmunks. There are 3 cats frequently crossing the yard, but they seem to concentrate on the birds, so I scare them away. Don't take me wrong, I like cats, just don't want them catching my winged friends.
They should stick to mice...

Silent; that is very nice jade, love the purple on the leaves...want one too!

Purple; you are right, callicarpa is in full sun & have lots of berries. It also grows like crazy, must be at least 7.5feet tall now.

Toni; you have Ludisia too if I remember correctly? I keep it in north window, good unobstructed light. Few older stems are hanging down, but all younger ones are growing upright. It also grows very well, from original 1 stem pot I have now 3 pots full (9" hanging-type pots) + more rooting.

I am going to restrain myself from posting more...Rina

o

Toni, I meant it doesn't look like an Aloe, never saw one with that kind of variegation- looks like an Agave or Chlorophytum.

More autumn colours:

o

Mike- Great thread and I LOVE that variegated Gollum. The lighting on it in that photo is perfect too! Here are a couple colorfuls from today. A hungry Sarracenia and a variegated Ledebouria

o

Just realized nobody's mentioned the lovely Caladium. (Forefront.) At the northern edge of its' hardiness here, but I've seen many in pots throughout the years, or stored dormant for winter. I need to move this next spring. They can *take* the amount of sun they're getting, but as you can see, they're too washed out here, need a spot w/o mid-day sun.

o

And since some of us have included colorful bird friends......here is 'Blue Moon' in the foreground.

o

Rina, good memory..lol.

The foliage on my Ludisia isn't as nice as yours. Mine is also in a north window plus artificial light at night.
It hasn't flowered in years. Boohoo.
Does yours bloom?
Do you keep soil wet, moist or dry between waterings? What about humidity, fertilizer?

Ludisia is the only Jewel Orchid I have.. others are pretty, but my favorite is Ludisia w/deep purple and veined foliage.

Did you know Ludisia roots in water? Fast-rooting too.
In fact, a cutting will 'live' in water.
I have a very tiny glass, hanging tube. A stem broke off Ludisia, so I thought, what the heck? Placed the stem in the glass tube. It lived AND flowered..problem is, the tube hung behind taller plants..I forgot to water, 'more than once,' so it died..but it lived in that tube for years.

Larry...there's numerous variegated Aloes. Some have white, yellow or silver variegation.

Speaking of Agaves...did you happen to see Laura's Agave? It's amazing! Toni

o

WoodNative...Beautiful flower. Do you grow Sarracenia in an aquarium?

Where's your Ledebournia? Don't see a pic.. :)

Never heard of Blue Moon birds? They're very pretty. Can they be trained? Which family are they? Toni

o

so, I was asked to show a few. Here is my sole boy, 17 and had to jump into the picture last night. All of these plants, I've had less than a month. The honey-suckle on the left - went from a no-leaf stick to such a happy little vine, the bonsai attempt with the chinese perfume plant, and sharing same 'pot' (a casserole dish) - the cut off tops - attempting but not rooting... a month later and a few bottom leaves yellow and drop - but no signs of rooting yet. is just showing at the bottom of the photo. and my li'l dwarf gardenia. The cats like to nibble at that one...

o

Purple thanks i will read it. It all depends if it needs a lot of sun. I am in the woods and we dont get a lot of direct sun in the summer.My DIL works for a nursery, she could prob get it for me if I cant find it any where else

Woodnative those are stunning.

o

and here's a better view of the 'bonsai attempt perfume tree' the red fury mandavilla, and at the top - my li'l (and very slow growing - roseum hydrangea vine.

o

and this - is my seed geranium. She came alive recently - all it took was giving her a south facing window. and beside her is one of my begonias. This one isn't in bloom but has a delightful little orange flower when she is. Sad to say - she is growing very lopsided - hanging over the side of the pot instead of standing straight. You'd think she'd have enough sun to stand tall - but, she's very lazy.

o

Purple, they are zoned south of me.They are an endangered species. I wish I could grow one. I will have to speak to my DIL and see what she says about growing it here

o

Despite the season's chill, my roses outside are still pushing out some really nice blooms.

o

this is my li'l mini rose that I put in this summer... she's growing really well. Not a scented rose - but still quite charming.

o

from a few days ago - love the look of rain on leaves. :)

o

Gawd, so many plants on here I can't keep up! Yes cool Agave Laura.

o

my floppy begonia.

o

the set-up ... which shows my soon to blossom night jasmine. :) and the red crown of thorns.

o

and last - because who would keep plants at home and not have one at work???? :) this is my impatiens (a little pink one) who has given me the occassional rare bloom - but for the most part just lots of green. No direct light - only over-head flourescent and what comes through the side office windows.

I may need to transplant her soon. that 4" pot seems very full.

o

Polly, this is a readily available garden plant at nurseries in central OH, where the 5/6 line meanders through the area. My friend who is a landscaper up there regularly uses this shrub in customers yards and is the one who brought it to my attention, after having it growing well in her yard and her Mom's yard for a few years. She tries to use almost all natives except for few special plants like lacy Japanese maples when people ask for them. If not locally available though, that would indicate that it just can't make it nearby. Maybe local provenance makes the difference, often the case at the edge of hardiness for any plant.

I didn't even notice but you're right, it's indicated as endangered but I think they're saying that's just in MD. Found some testimonials from the south where it can be unwanted on livestock ranches or in yards where the seeds sprout too readily. Don't know where the birds are taking the seeds from Mom's shrub, but it's either totally out of the yard and/or the conditions aren't conducive to their sprouting.

Another pretty native I saw the same day, Commelina diffusa.

o

Rosey, noticed your comment on African Violets.

There are sooo many sizes, from mini's to X-large.

Mini's are small, but imo, have the prettiest flowers..

Standards 'usually' grow no bigger than 8" tall..perfect size for a sill.

On the AV Forum, someone posted a pic of a size 'Large' AV..Can't recall if it's 32 or 36" wide..It's the most amazing AV's I'd ever seen. A real show plant, won an award.
When you have time, check it out.

AWWW, beautiful kitty-cat. He too is admiring your plants. :)

Rosey..is the plant to the left of kitty Honeysuckle?
It IS tall.

Your Geranium flower is a rare color. Looks purple???

o

Whoops. My little Ledebouria did not show last time. Here we go...

o

Whoops. My little Ledebouria did not show last time. Here we go...

o

Hi All!!
Lots of very purtty plants here...too many for me to keep track of.. Great thread! I really shouldn't look at it tho, makes me want to go out and find something I don't have (and that is a lot!) and my very sweet DH said no more til we can find more space, that is easy for me to get to, that is-- lol. But when we find it-- WATCH OUT!! ;)

o

my seed geranium - I got her for 75Cents at the end of the summer. A real bargain. - she's a soft pink color, he unopened buds are dark fuschia color.

and yes, the honeysuckle is growing really fast. a 14 inch stick to over 20 inches in less than a month. the part I love about her is that the new growth... the stems are a purple color, that turn brown as they age... I can't wait to see what she looks like when she's ready to flower. :) If only that would be an indoor event - but I have a feeling that I'd have to give her significantly more light to get her into flower mode.

In a few days I should get my first scent of night jasmine. I noticed a few blossom spots forming between the stem/leave joinings. Not that this particular room is in darkness often. - between the sunlight coming in through the windows, the light from the fishtank that runs a good portion of the night, and the plant light, that runs in the day/evening hours (until 11 pm)... there's more hours of light in that room than lightless... if it's dark for about 4 hours I'd be surprised. But then, this might be a good thing - since I haven't smelled the blooms yet, and I've heard they can 'stink' when there's to many of them. :D

o

Toni honey, you aren't going to convince me to like AV's... I won't do it... it's not out-doorsy enough. It's not a vine, a shrub, or a tree... and, it's hard work to raise them without overwatering, and rotting them.

I never thought I'd like succulents either, and here I have euphorbia and aloes growing like crazy...

No, you won't tempt me to look at the AV forum. It sounds dangerous...

o

Ok everyone! Maybe I should address you all at once and say WOWOWOW! Every time I come back, there is tons more.lol

Rosey, what a perfect Halloweeny pic..Orange pot against a black cat. Not bad! Just how many plants do you have? I have two 'Chinese Perfume' plants, and I am afraid to cut mine back. You should see the size of one of mine. Arn't they just wonderful, especially on a warm humid night in flower?

Lamora..I hear you! Watch out, otherwise we are all bound to buy plants that we once never thought existed..lol

Toni. I said more pics...lololol You and I both know how many you are holding out on...lol

Purple, you always seem to post pics of plants I am intrigued by and never saw. Nice.

Larry, there is so many, that I have to have a cup of coffee while I sit here and look now. Very relaxing I'll say. I keep trying to figure out what my next plant is going to be. Yikes!

Rina..You are too funny! My cat loves mice, but not to eat. He leaves me a gift offering at the head of my bed every night for the past 3 nights! I am not sure if I should reward him or be grossed out! The mice population is horrendous this year. I only hope it was the parents before they start eating the leaves on my plants!

Woodnative..Not bad I love it! By the way, I know you have a thing for variegated Gollums..lol
What beautiful birds and that flower, I have never seen one before. Thank you.

Larry..Look at those beautiful colors! I love fall foliage. It too bad it's so short. The only thing green outside these days are my houseplants!lol
I hope the spider mites don't see them.:-0)

Polly....Good to see you:-)

Well, keep your fingers crossed everyone. Some of us may get a monster storm by Monday. A Hurricane turned into a Noreaster on steroids! Guess I'll be bring my plants in at that time for the winter.

By the way, love them blue flowers and all the colors! It's like we are all building a rainbow here.

Mike

o

Pelargonium, not geranium...;)

Lovely Lebadoodah there!

o

"and last - because who would keep plants at home and not have one at work???? :) this is my impatiens (a little pink one)"
Roseyd, that so reminds me of the plant I had years ago! Ah the memories....

o

Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 18:01

Toni

I don't have any supplemental light for Ludisia. I don't mist it, water whenever soil is dry enough. I never had problems with it, rooted almost all cuttings in the water.
Right now I have experiment going on - took some root cuttings (have 9 pots), some of them already 'sprouted' leaves.
I keep it outside temps permitting, in little morning sun, shade rest of the day.
Only started using fert this spring (I have it for 3 years now). It flowered every year, just after Christmas. Will see what it will do this year.

Woodnative, that Ledebouria is georgeous. So is Sarracenia, what a color!

*Malabar spinach (edible!)
*Shrimp plant (Beloperone guttata)
*Passionflower

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Rina

o

(I have 26 indoor plants at home, and 2 at work, one a peace lily was inherited from the last person who had my desk). the lily isn't happy there, doesn't get nearly enough light - and I really should take her home for some extra attention. Poor thing.

Never been a fan of peace lilies though... not the common white ones, anyway. And, I don't know if I want it to take up space in my apartment... I know - it's pretty tragic how unloved this plant is... :( I should give it away. :)

As for halloween cats - I'm a huge fan of black cats. I have 2 all black cats, and a dark chocolate tortoiseshell cat as well... In the Salem witch days -I probably would be killed for my taste in felines. where as I'm just happy that the black hair doesn't show so easily if I get a stray hair on my clothes.

It's hard for a cat person to be a fashion statement, yes?

o

Oh Id love a peace lily, but always imagine them hard to keep! Same with Anthurium.

o

Morning All,

In a bit I've got to start bringing more plants inside..Dropped to freezing last night..sigh.

Woodnative...your Ledebournia is the most unusual. I've never seen a Led like yours..It's beautiful, vividly variegated..

Rosey...LOL...okay, I won't tease you..But did you know there are trailing/vining AV's, too? lolol

Mike, lol..if I posted all my pics, this thead would have 5000 posts..lol.
I wish my plants were all variegated/colorful..unfortunately most are green. :(

Rina..you got your Passionvine to bloom! Good for you..What's your secret?
So you know about rooting Ludisia in water....most wouldn't believe it possible.
I fear taking Orchids outside..I summered them once, in shade..leaves burned.

Nice, Christmas surprise..

Rosey, if this was the 17th century, you'd be tied to a stake..lol..
Crazy darn people..Toni

o

...adding malabar spinach to next year's "look for's".

Larry, Anthurium is not hard to keep, I used to think that too. It just needs a ton of light, some direct sun, but not enough that your plant gets burned like mine is. (How else to find that sweet spot?) NO sogginess. This one is NOT going to be killed by me. Positive thinking!

Sorry if I already put this pic on here, I need to stop since I can't remember anymore...

o

Mike, don't know if this my Ledebournia is colorful???
DH got it for me in 1983 in Chicago.

Scilla

Hardy Euphorbia...outdoor plant
Euphorbia

C. Jade, Red Edge

Jade 'Red Edge'

C. 'Campfire.' Leaning Tower...:)

Crassula

E. 'Orgialis'

Euphorbia

Crown of thorns...colorful blooms

Euphorbia

Crown of Thorns..millii variegata

Crown of Thorns

Corn Cob Cactus, variegated
Corn Cob cactus

Crassula
Crassula

Aloes
Aloes

More Aloes

Aloes

Spath

Spathiphyllum

Oxalis...didn't go out this summer

Oxalis

Tradescantia
Tradescantia

Yucca variegated
Yucca

Yucca, 'Color Guard'
Yucca

Purple Heart

Setcreasea

Ponytail, variegated

Ponytail

Epi..Mistetoe Cactus

Mistletoe Cactus

Palm, variegated

Palm

o

Toni, I think your corn cob cactus is actually a Euphorbia!

Crassula is C.perforata, nice plant, had one.

Purple Heart, now I know the name of that one, some kind of tradescantia relative ...

o

Larry, you're right, CCC is a Euphorbia..CCC is its common name..not a true cactus..

Yep, PH is Tradescantia. Seems like there's a zillion Tradescantias..no resemblance either.

o

Toni, I was going to say 'if all those plants are still outside, you're in trouble ...' Are you in trouble???

Larry, I'm really surprised that I haven't killed the peace-lily yet. I forget to water it... it was abandoned on the desk here for about a month before I moved in... first thing I did was water it. And, now, It goes for days without watering, then I over water it... I'm sure it doesn't know if it's coming or going. the poor plant.

I don't really consider the peace-lily mine, because I never would have bought it, myself.

I've always thought of peace-lilies being part of wakes/funerals

o

Rosey..the plants posted are indoors..well, most are.
As I type, I'm soaking plants in the sink, then spraying with home-made insectide..after they dry, they'll go on shelves/sills.

It if wasn't for spiders and ants, every plant would be inside. But each needs soaking and spraying first.

It's cold! I'm wearing jeans, 2 pairs of stockings, two shirts, a jacket, gloves, hat, and of course, shoes. Still cold even though donned for North Pole.

PL's probably remind you of funerals because during a wake, mourners often send them. Same with Easter Lily's. Similar flowers, but scent-less.

o

Well! I'm glad that it's not cold in Boston this week. We're expecting a storm soon from the south, so pre-storm we've got seasonally warm temps. it was in the mid 60s today. I'm in jeans with a light jacket, one pair of socks only. :)

I'm hoping the storm will fizzle before it gets this far north.

o

Rosey, although the sun is shining, 'finally,' it's 49F degrees.
Highs this week, 'so far,' 50, lows 31.

When working outside, it doesn't feel cold, but I KNOW it'll hit me later..probably get pneumonia..lol

Didn't MA get hit w/a snow storm last Oct?

What type of storm are they predicting? Rain or snow?

Yesterday, while watching the news/weather, they said, Illionians might see their first snowfall. Thankfully, they were wrong.

Had a doc appt yesterday, which took the entire pm. Was hoping to haul some plants in because lows were 43F. By the time I got home it was dark. Heck, it was dark all day..

Once the sun goes down it's as if someone turned off a light switch..no in-between. Once we change the time, it'll be pitch-black by 4. Don't like winter.

o

Sandy is supposed to be hitting the US any time now - and work its way up north. If it doesn't fizzle out - should mean lots of rain n wind. maybe a few down trees, power outages, stuff like that...

As I said - hope it fizzles out before it comes to far up the coast.

The gov'nor was giving his warnings on the news at lunch. what to stock up on, n all that.

Oh joy - what an adventure. ::

yes, last october we had our first (and if memory serves me correctly) our only major storm... it was a delightful winter (and extremely abnormal).

o

I pray Sandy takes a hike. What do you do during power outages?

No computer, tv, lights, fridge...Tossing food is such a waste. We don't live in a 'cane state, but IL is known for strong winds..
Out goes the electric.

An adventure..something to look foreward to. NOT. lol

Your winter was pretty much like ours..It rarely snows anymore. Thankfully..people cannot drive when it drizzles or snow showers..I can imagine being stuck in traffic during a real storm. I don't have the patience sitting before a red light for 10 minutes. Seems people wonder what to do when the light turns green..duh! Road Rage..lol

o

Lets hope Sandy veers south a bit and knocks Romney off his perch!

Hoping all are safe guys!

o

Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 19:01

Toni

That pot of Ledebouria is great!
You have many beautiful and mature plants.

Can I ask something -

*I still think that 2nd from the top is not Hardy Euphorbia - outdoor plant - it looks like a variegated sage - Tricolor Sage (Salvia officinalis 'Tricolor'). Does it have aroma when you rub leaves between your fingers? It is perennial. I have one exactly like yours.

*5th from the top you have as E. Orgialis I think it is Kalanchoe orgyalis ('Copper Spoons'). I do have one of these too.

Rina

o

I cant get these flickr pics to open full size on my phone but I do see sage (Salvia) in the hardy Euph now you mention it Rina! Rough textured aromatic leaves?
And what is this Lebodoodah plant, seen a few on here but am not familiar with tye genus.

o

Morning,

Hi Rina...thank you..

Rina, Purple and I had a similar discussion about the tropical 'X' a wk or two ago..

When I purchased the plant at HD, the tag read Euphorbia. I should have checked to see if there was another name and jot it down.

As for fragrance, it's 34F degrees at the moment..I'll wait until it warms up a bit, rub my fingers on leaves to see if scented.

I have a small, tri-color sage with fragrant foliage..but it looks different than the plant marked Euphorbia..leaves have a nice scent.

You're right..Sorry about that..It's Kalanchoe orgyalis. Did I write Euphorbia? Have to check, and will also Google the Sage you mentioned,, too. Thanks for the correction.

BTW, I have been out this morning. 3 Hoyas are soaking in the sink as I type. Poor plants spent the night outside..I feel so darn bad, I had problems sleeping..kept thinking how cold remaining plants were.

A couple days ago it reached 80F degrees..Strange weather.

Do you have pics of your orgyalis?

Larry, where do you see Labodoodah plant? On this thread?
Thanks everyone....Toni

o

Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 14:56

Toni

I am obviously not sure about euphorbia?-or-sage?; it just looks in your photo very much like a sage - that's why I asked about the leaf aroma; also as Larry mentioned, leaf texture.

I know that there are at least couple of Euphorbias that look very similar.
Pls. don't rub the leaves if you are sure it's euphorbia, I don't want you to get dermatitis...

E. 'Helena's bush' (see large photo), E. Efanthia, E. hirta are just few of them with similarily coloured foliage.
Did it ever flowered for you? How did flowers looked like?

Few photos of my K. orgyalis:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Rina

Euphorbia 'Helena's bush:

o

Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 15:02

Here, for comparison, tricolor sage:

o

Rina, your Orgyalis is so pretty..Vivid orange. Your Kalanchoe must have been in full/direct sun. Mine has orange foliage but not as orange as yours.

Okay, went outside..The perennial, whatever it may be has no fragrance..Leaf texture is rough, protrudes.
Thankfully, no problems touching Kalanchoes. If so, I'd be in trouble. Have quite a few 'indoor' Kalanchoes.

I also rubbed my finger and thumb over the Sage..It's VERY fragrant.

Was going to mention, but didn't think it important at the time..probably isn't now either.lol.

Actually, I bought two perennials at HD w/tags reading Euphorbia. The second had different colors. Unfortunately, it didn't make it through winter.

Your E. Helena's Bush is gorgeous! Is it hardy?

Your Sage looks similar to mine, only a LOT larger.. Height and leaf size. Is it planted in medium or full sun?
It's supposed to grow tall, but for some reason, doesn't. This is the first year it's reached 8"..lol.
Supposed to be 2-4' or taller. I think 104F summers halt growth too.

Your plants look terrific. Toni

o
RE: Colorful labadoodah plants? Do you have any? Show and tell t

Toni I meant Ledebouria or however its splet, lol

o

Rina! Just how many lovely plants do you own? I have never seen so many other than Toni's of course in one thread!

All you plants with everyonele's here are abosolutely georgous!

Thank you

Mike

o

Hello, Mike! :-)

Thanks for all these wonderful pics.
Just wanted to squeeze in a message before this Thread tops out at 150 posts. Cheers!

Josh

o

Larry, you 'splet' it right the second time. lol.

Josh...Threads stop at 150 posts? I wondered if there was an ending..

Imagine dl'ing 3000 posts..lol.

o

Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 14:30

Mike

I do not know how many - lots of these are perennial/garden plants - for some reason I always kept 'duplicates' (and triplicates, and more...obsession) in pots too, overwintering outside. Pots just sitting close to each other. I don't dare to count how many pots of perennials.

Toni has many realy beautiful and colourful house plants, I had only few just until I joined GW in Feb. 2012. Now that collection is growing rapidly too, got more than 40 succulents since, and some others like Meyer lemon, hoya & few others.

Toni

Euphorbia 'Helena's bush' is hardy perennial.

Tricolor sage is ornamental herb, but aparently edible.
I never cooked with it since have regular green sage too. Try wrapping tenderloin in sage leaves, it's yummy...
If your leaves have aroma, I would think it's sage.

Both grow great in full sun.

Rina

o

Rina, thank you for the compliment.

I'm sure my Tricolor Sage isn't getting enough light..Do you think I should dig up, relocate to brighter area?

Ironically, we don't eat most veggies/herbs/fruit. Too many dogs come around and pee on plants..You'd think the owners would be more responsible,, but they're not.

A few years ago, I planted young annuals in the front garden. A neighbor walked by w/her dog..She had to see me planting...yet, she stood in front while her dog lifted his leg and went......

I planted a grape vine, the birds got the fruit before we had a chance.

Tomatoes, green and hot peppers are eaten...they're planted way in back..

I've had Kiwi for years, but it's never fruited..Bought a second male and female, but still no Kiwis..boo hoo.
This year I added variegated foliage Kiwi..I pray it's hardy, returns next year..

How do you keep wildlife, dogs/cats from using your yard as a toilet or restaurant? lol.

o

Fences, Toni ;-)
Fences make good neighbors....

Josh

o

Here are some of mine:

Photobucket
Primulina dryas 'Hisako'

Photobucket
Episica 'Silver Dust'

Photobucket
Columnea hirta 'Light Prince'

Photobucket
Gloxinella lindeniana

Photobucket
Episcia 'Ember Lace'

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here