Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Colorful plants? Do you have any? Show and tell time. Pics:)

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

I thought it would be nice to see what kind of plants you have that you enjoy for the color.

I will get this started and then I would love to see what everyone here has. It's show and tell time:-)

Here are a few of mine.

{{gwi:107743}}

{{gwi:107744}}

{{gwi:107746}}

{{gwi:107747}}

{{gwi:107750}}

{{gwi:107751}}

{{gwi:107753}}

{{gwi:107755}}

{{gwi:107756}}

{{gwi:107757}}

{{gwi:107758}}

{{gwi:107759}}

{{gwi:107760}}

{{gwi:107761}}

{{gwi:94207}}

Mike:-)

Comments (143)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

so, I was asked to show a few. Here is my sole boy, 17 and had to jump into the picture last night. All of these plants, I've had less than a month. The honey-suckle on the left - went from a no-leaf stick to such a happy little vine, the bonsai attempt with the chinese perfume plant, and sharing same 'pot' (a casserole dish) - the cut off tops - attempting but not rooting... a month later and a few bottom leaves yellow and drop - but no signs of rooting yet. is just showing at the bottom of the photo. and my li'l dwarf gardenia. The cats like to nibble at that one...

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Purple thanks i will read it. It all depends if it needs a lot of sun. I am in the woods and we dont get a lot of direct sun in the summer.My DIL works for a nursery, she could prob get it for me if I cant find it any where else

Woodnative those are stunning.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

and here's a better view of the 'bonsai attempt perfume tree' the red fury mandavilla, and at the top - my li'l (and very slow growing - roseum hydrangea vine.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

and this - is my seed geranium. She came alive recently - all it took was giving her a south facing window. and beside her is one of my begonias. This one isn't in bloom but has a delightful little orange flower when she is. Sad to say - she is growing very lopsided - hanging over the side of the pot instead of standing straight. You'd think she'd have enough sun to stand tall - but, she's very lazy.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Purple, they are zoned south of me.They are an endangered species. I wish I could grow one. I will have to speak to my DIL and see what she says about growing it here

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Despite the season's chill, my roses outside are still pushing out some really nice blooms.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

this is my li'l mini rose that I put in this summer... she's growing really well. Not a scented rose - but still quite charming.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

from a few days ago - love the look of rain on leaves. :)

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Gawd, so many plants on here I can't keep up! Yes cool Agave Laura.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

my floppy begonia.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

the set-up ... which shows my soon to blossom night jasmine. :) and the red crown of thorns.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

and last - because who would keep plants at home and not have one at work???? :) this is my impatiens (a little pink one) who has given me the occassional rare bloom - but for the most part just lots of green. No direct light - only over-head flourescent and what comes through the side office windows.

I may need to transplant her soon. that 4" pot seems very full.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Polly, this is a readily available garden plant at nurseries in central OH, where the 5/6 line meanders through the area. My friend who is a landscaper up there regularly uses this shrub in customers yards and is the one who brought it to my attention, after having it growing well in her yard and her Mom's yard for a few years. She tries to use almost all natives except for few special plants like lacy Japanese maples when people ask for them. If not locally available though, that would indicate that it just can't make it nearby. Maybe local provenance makes the difference, often the case at the edge of hardiness for any plant.

I didn't even notice but you're right, it's indicated as endangered but I think they're saying that's just in MD. Found some testimonials from the south where it can be unwanted on livestock ranches or in yards where the seeds sprout too readily. Don't know where the birds are taking the seeds from Mom's shrub, but it's either totally out of the yard and/or the conditions aren't conducive to their sprouting.

Another pretty native I saw the same day, Commelina diffusa.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rosey, noticed your comment on African Violets.

There are sooo many sizes, from mini's to X-large.

Mini's are small, but imo, have the prettiest flowers..

Standards 'usually' grow no bigger than 8" tall..perfect size for a sill.

On the AV Forum, someone posted a pic of a size 'Large' AV..Can't recall if it's 32 or 36" wide..It's the most amazing AV's I'd ever seen. A real show plant, won an award.
    When you have time, check it out.

AWWW, beautiful kitty-cat. He too is admiring your plants. :)

Rosey..is the plant to the left of kitty Honeysuckle?
    It IS tall.

Your Geranium flower is a rare color. Looks purple???

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Whoops. My little Ledebouria did not show last time. Here we go...

{{!gwi}}

• Lamora
    11 years ago

Hi All!!
    Lots of very purtty plants here...too many for me to keep track of.. Great thread! I really shouldn't look at it tho, makes me want to go out and find something I don't have (and that is a lot!) and my very sweet DH said no more til we can find more space, that is easy for me to get to, that is-- lol. But when we find it-- WATCH OUT!! ;)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

my seed geranium - I got her for 75Cents at the end of the summer. A real bargain. - she's a soft pink color, he unopened buds are dark fuschia color.

and yes, the honeysuckle is growing really fast. a 14 inch stick to over 20 inches in less than a month. the part I love about her is that the new growth... the stems are a purple color, that turn brown as they age... I can't wait to see what she looks like when she's ready to flower. :) If only that would be an indoor event - but I have a feeling that I'd have to give her significantly more light to get her into flower mode.

In a few days I should get my first scent of night jasmine. I noticed a few blossom spots forming between the stem/leave joinings. Not that this particular room is in darkness often. - between the sunlight coming in through the windows, the light from the fishtank that runs a good portion of the night, and the plant light, that runs in the day/evening hours (until 11 pm)... there's more hours of light in that room than lightless... if it's dark for about 4 hours I'd be surprised. But then, this might be a good thing - since I haven't smelled the blooms yet, and I've heard they can 'stink' when there's to many of them. :D

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Toni honey, you aren't going to convince me to like AV's... I won't do it... it's not out-doorsy enough. It's not a vine, a shrub, or a tree... and, it's hard work to raise them without overwatering, and rotting them.

I never thought I'd like succulents either, and here I have euphorbia and aloes growing like crazy...

No, you won't tempt me to look at the AV forum. It sounds dangerous...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok everyone! Maybe I should address you all at once and say WOWOWOW! Every time I come back, there is tons more.lol

Rosey, what a perfect Halloweeny pic..Orange pot against a black cat. Not bad! Just how many plants do you have? I have two 'Chinese Perfume' plants, and I am afraid to cut mine back. You should see the size of one of mine. Arn't they just wonderful, especially on a warm humid night in flower?

Lamora..I hear you! Watch out, otherwise we are all bound to buy plants that we once never thought existed..lol

Toni. I said more pics...lololol You and I both know how many you are holding out on...lol

Purple, you always seem to post pics of plants I am intrigued by and never saw. Nice.

Larry, there is so many, that I have to have a cup of coffee while I sit here and look now. Very relaxing I'll say. I keep trying to figure out what my next plant is going to be. Yikes!

Rina..You are too funny! My cat loves mice, but not to eat. He leaves me a gift offering at the head of my bed every night for the past 3 nights! I am not sure if I should reward him or be grossed out! The mice population is horrendous this year. I only hope it was the parents before they start eating the leaves on my plants!

Woodnative..Not bad I love it! By the way, I know you have a thing for variegated Gollums..lol
    What beautiful birds and that flower, I have never seen one before. Thank you.

Larry..Look at those beautiful colors! I love fall foliage. It too bad it's so short. The only thing green outside these days are my houseplants!lol
    I hope the spider mites don't see them.:-0)

Polly....Good to see you:-)

Well, keep your fingers crossed everyone. Some of us may get a monster storm by Monday. A Hurricane turned into a Noreaster on steroids! Guess I'll be bring my plants in at that time for the winter.

By the way, love them blue flowers and all the colors! It's like we are all building a rainbow here.

Mike

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Pelargonium, not geranium...;)

Lovely Lebadoodah there!

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

"and last - because who would keep plants at home and not have one at work???? :) this is my impatiens (a little pink one)"
    Roseyd, that so reminds me of the plant I had years ago! Ah the memories....

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Toni

I don't have any supplemental light for Ludisia. I don't mist it, water whenever soil is dry enough. I never had problems with it, rooted almost all cuttings in the water.
    Right now I have experiment going on - took some root cuttings (have 9 pots), some of them already 'sprouted' leaves.
    I keep it outside temps permitting, in little morning sun, shade rest of the day.
    Only started using fert this spring (I have it for 3 years now). It flowered every year, just after Christmas. Will see what it will do this year.

Woodnative, that Ledebouria is georgeous. So is Sarracenia, what a color!

*Malabar spinach (edible!)
    *Shrimp plant (Beloperone guttata)
    *Passionflower

{{gwi:107842}}{{gwi:107843}}{{gwi:107844}}

Rina

• roseyd
    11 years ago

(I have 26 indoor plants at home, and 2 at work, one a peace lily was inherited from the last person who had my desk). the lily isn't happy there, doesn't get nearly enough light - and I really should take her home for some extra attention. Poor thing.

Never been a fan of peace lilies though... not the common white ones, anyway. And, I don't know if I want it to take up space in my apartment... I know - it's pretty tragic how unloved this plant is... :( I should give it away. :)

As for halloween cats - I'm a huge fan of black cats. I have 2 all black cats, and a dark chocolate tortoiseshell cat as well... In the Salem witch days -I probably would be killed for my taste in felines. where as I'm just happy that the black hair doesn't show so easily if I get a stray hair on my clothes.

It's hard for a cat person to be a fashion statement, yes?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Oh Id love a peace lily, but always imagine them hard to keep! Same with Anthurium.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning All,

In a bit I've got to start bringing more plants inside..Dropped to freezing last night..sigh.

Woodnative...your Ledebournia is the most unusual. I've never seen a Led like yours..It's beautiful, vividly variegated..

Rosey...LOL...okay, I won't tease you..But did you know there are trailing/vining AV's, too? lolol

Mike, lol..if I posted all my pics, this thead would have 5000 posts..lol.
    I wish my plants were all variegated/colorful..unfortunately most are green. :(

Rina..you got your Passionvine to bloom! Good for you..What's your secret?
    So you know about rooting Ludisia in water....most wouldn't believe it possible.
    I fear taking Orchids outside..I summered them once, in shade..leaves burned.

Nice, Christmas surprise..

Rosey, if this was the 17th century, you'd be tied to a stake..lol..
    Crazy darn people..Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

...adding malabar spinach to next year's "look for's".

Larry, Anthurium is not hard to keep, I used to think that too. It just needs a ton of light, some direct sun, but not enough that your plant gets burned like mine is. (How else to find that sweet spot?) NO sogginess. This one is NOT going to be killed by me. Positive thinking!

Sorry if I already put this pic on here, I need to stop since I can't remember anymore...

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Mike, don't know if this my Ledebournia is colorful???
    DH got it for me in 1983 in Chicago.

{{gwi:97507}}

Hardy Euphorbia...outdoor plant
    {{gwi:107845}}

C. Jade, Red Edge

{{gwi:107846}}

C. 'Campfire.' Leaning Tower...:)

{{gwi:107847}}

E. 'Orgialis'

{{gwi:107848}}

Crown of thorns...colorful blooms

{{gwi:107849}}

Crown of Thorns..millii variegata

{{gwi:77557}}

Corn Cob Cactus, variegated
    {{gwi:107850}}

Crassula
    {{gwi:107851}}

Aloes
    {{gwi:107852}}

More Aloes

{{gwi:107853}}

Spath

{{gwi:107854}}

Oxalis...didn't go out this summer

{{gwi:107855}}

Tradescantia
    {{gwi:107856}}

Yucca variegated

Yucca, 'Color Guard'

Purple Heart

Ponytail, variegated

Epi..Mistetoe Cactus

Palm, variegated

{{gwi:99173}}

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, I think your corn cob cactus is actually a Euphorbia!

Crassula is C.perforata, nice plant, had one.

Purple Heart, now I know the name of that one, some kind of tradescantia relative ...

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry, you're right, CCC is a Euphorbia..CCC is its common name..not a true cactus..

Yep, PH is Tradescantia. Seems like there's a zillion Tradescantias..no resemblance either.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Toni, I was going to say 'if all those plants are still outside, you're in trouble ...' Are you in trouble???

Larry, I'm really surprised that I haven't killed the peace-lily yet. I forget to water it... it was abandoned on the desk here for about a month before I moved in... first thing I did was water it. And, now, It goes for days without watering, then I over water it... I'm sure it doesn't know if it's coming or going. the poor plant.

I don't really consider the peace-lily mine, because I never would have bought it, myself.

I've always thought of peace-lilies being part of wakes/funerals

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rosey..the plants posted are indoors..well, most are.
    As I type, I'm soaking plants in the sink, then spraying with home-made insectide..after they dry, they'll go on shelves/sills.

It if wasn't for spiders and ants, every plant would be inside. But each needs soaking and spraying first.

It's cold! I'm wearing jeans, 2 pairs of stockings, two shirts, a jacket, gloves, hat, and of course, shoes. Still cold even though donned for North Pole.

PL's probably remind you of funerals because during a wake, mourners often send them. Same with Easter Lily's. Similar flowers, but scent-less.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Well! I'm glad that it's not cold in Boston this week. We're expecting a storm soon from the south, so pre-storm we've got seasonally warm temps. it was in the mid 60s today. I'm in jeans with a light jacket, one pair of socks only. :)

I'm hoping the storm will fizzle before it gets this far north.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rosey, although the sun is shining, 'finally,' it's 49F degrees.
    Highs this week, 'so far,' 50, lows 31.

When working outside, it doesn't feel cold, but I KNOW it'll hit me later..probably get pneumonia..lol

Didn't MA get hit w/a snow storm last Oct?

What type of storm are they predicting? Rain or snow?

Yesterday, while watching the news/weather, they said, Illionians might see their first snowfall. Thankfully, they were wrong.

Had a doc appt yesterday, which took the entire pm. Was hoping to haul some plants in because lows were 43F. By the time I got home it was dark. Heck, it was dark all day..

Once the sun goes down it's as if someone turned off a light switch..no in-between. Once we change the time, it'll be pitch-black by 4. Don't like winter.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Sandy is supposed to be hitting the US any time now - and work its way up north. If it doesn't fizzle out - should mean lots of rain n wind. maybe a few down trees, power outages, stuff like that...

As I said - hope it fizzles out before it comes to far up the coast.

The gov'nor was giving his warnings on the news at lunch. what to stock up on, n all that.

Oh joy - what an adventure. ::

yes, last october we had our first (and if memory serves me correctly) our only major storm... it was a delightful winter (and extremely abnormal).

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

I pray Sandy takes a hike. What do you do during power outages?

No computer, tv, lights, fridge...Tossing food is such a waste. We don't live in a 'cane state, but IL is known for strong winds..
    Out goes the electric.

An adventure..something to look foreward to. NOT. lol

Your winter was pretty much like ours..It rarely snows anymore. Thankfully..people cannot drive when it drizzles or snow showers..I can imagine being stuck in traffic during a real storm. I don't have the patience sitting before a red light for 10 minutes. Seems people wonder what to do when the light turns green..duh! Road Rage..lol

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Lets hope Sandy veers south a bit and knocks Romney off his perch!

Hoping all are safe guys!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Toni

That pot of Ledebouria is great!
    You have many beautiful and mature plants.

Can I ask something -

*I still think that 2nd from the top is not Hardy Euphorbia - outdoor plant - it looks like a variegated sage - Tricolor Sage (Salvia officinalis 'Tricolor'). Does it have aroma when you rub leaves between your fingers? It is perennial. I have one exactly like yours.

*5th from the top you have as E. Orgialis I think it is Kalanchoe orgyalis ('Copper Spoons'). I do have one of these too.

Rina

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I cant get these flickr pics to open full size on my phone but I do see sage (Salvia) in the hardy Euph now you mention it Rina! Rough textured aromatic leaves?
    And what is this Lebodoodah plant, seen a few on here but am not familiar with tye genus.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning,

Hi Rina...thank you..

Rina, Purple and I had a similar discussion about the tropical 'X' a wk or two ago..

When I purchased the plant at HD, the tag read Euphorbia. I should have checked to see if there was another name and jot it down.

As for fragrance, it's 34F degrees at the moment..I'll wait until it warms up a bit, rub my fingers on leaves to see if scented.

I have a small, tri-color sage with fragrant foliage..but it looks different than the plant marked Euphorbia..leaves have a nice scent.

You're right..Sorry about that..It's Kalanchoe orgyalis. Did I write Euphorbia? Have to check, and will also Google the Sage you mentioned,, too. Thanks for the correction.

BTW, I have been out this morning. 3 Hoyas are soaking in the sink as I type. Poor plants spent the night outside..I feel so darn bad, I had problems sleeping..kept thinking how cold remaining plants were.

A couple days ago it reached 80F degrees..Strange weather.

Do you have pics of your orgyalis?

Larry, where do you see Labodoodah plant? On this thread?
    Thanks everyone....Toni

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Toni

I am obviously not sure about euphorbia?-or-sage?; it just looks in your photo very much like a sage - that's why I asked about the leaf aroma; also as Larry mentioned, leaf texture.

I know that there are at least couple of Euphorbias that look very similar.
    Pls. don't rub the leaves if you are sure it's euphorbia, I don't want you to get dermatitis...

E. 'Helena's bush' (see large photo), E. Efanthia, E. hirta are just few of them with similarily coloured foliage.
    Did it ever flowered for you? How did flowers looked like? Few photos of my K. orgyalis:

{{gwi:107863}}{{gwi:107864}}{{gwi:107865}}

Rina

Euphorbia 'Helena's bush:

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Here, for comparison, tricolor sage:

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rina, your Orgyalis is so pretty..Vivid orange. Your Kalanchoe must have been in full/direct sun. Mine has orange foliage but not as orange as yours.

Okay, went outside..The perennial, whatever it may be has no fragrance..Leaf texture is rough, protrudes.
    Thankfully, no problems touching Kalanchoes. If so, I'd be in trouble. Have quite a few 'indoor' Kalanchoes.

I also rubbed my finger and thumb over the Sage..It's VERY fragrant.

Was going to mention, but didn't think it important at the time..probably isn't now either.lol.

Actually, I bought two perennials at HD w/tags reading Euphorbia. The second had different colors. Unfortunately, it didn't make it through winter.

Your E. Helena's Bush is gorgeous! Is it hardy?

Your Sage looks similar to mine, only a LOT larger.. Height and leaf size. Is it planted in medium or full sun?
    It's supposed to grow tall, but for some reason, doesn't. This is the first year it's reached 8"..lol.
    Supposed to be 2-4' or taller. I think 104F summers halt growth too.

Your plants look terrific. Toni

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni I meant Ledebouria or however its splet, lol

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rina! Just how many lovely plants do you own? I have never seen so many other than Toni's of course in one thread!

All you plants with everyonele's here are abosolutely georgous!

Thank you

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hello, Mike! :-)

Thanks for all these wonderful pics.
    Just wanted to squeeze in a message before this Thread tops out at 150 posts. Cheers!

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry, you 'splet' it right the second time. lol.

Josh...Threads stop at 150 posts? I wondered if there was an ending..

Imagine dl'ing 3000 posts..lol.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Mike

I do not know how many - lots of these are perennial/garden plants - for some reason I always kept 'duplicates' (and triplicates, and more...obsession) in pots too, overwintering outside. Pots just sitting close to each other. I don't dare to count how many pots of perennials.

Toni has many realy beautiful and colourful house plants, I had only few just until I joined GW in Feb. 2012. Now that collection is growing rapidly too, got more than 40 succulents since, and some others like Meyer lemon, hoya & few others.

Toni

Euphorbia 'Helena's bush' is hardy perennial.

Tricolor sage is ornamental herb, but aparently edible.
    I never cooked with it since have regular green sage too. Try wrapping tenderloin in sage leaves, it's yummy...
    If your leaves have aroma, I would think it's sage.

Both grow great in full sun.

Rina

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rina, thank you for the compliment.

I'm sure my Tricolor Sage isn't getting enough light..Do you think I should dig up, relocate to brighter area?

Ironically, we don't eat most veggies/herbs/fruit. Too many dogs come around and pee on plants..You'd think the owners would be more responsible,, but they're not.

A few years ago, I planted young annuals in the front garden. A neighbor walked by w/her dog..She had to see me planting...yet, she stood in front while her dog lifted his leg and went......

I planted a grape vine, the birds got the fruit before we had a chance.

Tomatoes, green and hot peppers are eaten...they're planted way in back..

I've had Kiwi for years, but it's never fruited..Bought a second male and female, but still no Kiwis..boo hoo.
    This year I added variegated foliage Kiwi..I pray it's hardy, returns next year..

How do you keep wildlife, dogs/cats from using your yard as a toilet or restaurant? lol.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Fences, Toni ;-)
    Fences make good neighbors....

Josh

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

Here are some of mine:

{{gwi:107866}}
    Primulina dryas 'Hisako'

{{gwi:107867}}
    Episica 'Silver Dust'