Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I trim this back?

Posted by vardpenguin Portland, Or (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 15:23

Anyone know what this is?

Also, it's got a few of these really long vines, but if I'm trying to get the younger/shorter ones to catch up would I be better off trimming these long one's back? Or should I just leave it as is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I trim this back?

could it be a Heart-Leaf Philodendron?

o

Looks like plain old Pothos to me, aka Epipremnum.

o
About a Trim

Sorry, I missed the 2nd question, the younger shorter ones don't neeed to 'catch up' but if you trim the longer parts & place them back into the pot it will help keep it full & lush looking.

You COULD also root those cuttings in water for a new plant altogether.

o

Thanks!
When you say "trim the longer parts & place them back into the pot it", would you mind giving me a little more detail so I know I do it correctly?

Same for rooting them actually. Do I just cut them anywhere, and put it in water for a few days until I see roots?

o

Sorry, I see my ID is not quite right, I'll let someone else do it, I don't know the exact name of that plant it's not quite what I suggested, but LIKE that.

Yeah, pretty much cut them anywhere, like a 6 or 8" piece & pop into water 'til you see roots.

o

Yep, you have a Heart-Shape Philodendron,..Philodendron scandens.
Cut back where the bottom stems are getting a little spindly. Root, then plant in the same pot with mom. It'll look a lot fuller.
Although Philo scandens don't need direct sun, it wouldn't hurt to give it a little more light. Artificial will do. Notice the leaves on the bottom aren't as large as the upper leaves?
Your Philo needs more light and/or humidity.

It's a very nice-looking Philo. Toni

o

Like most philos....if you train them to grow up-right, the leaves will get progressively larger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here