Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hornetwife_gw

Another Philodendron Selloum Question

hornetwife
16 years ago

Hi all,

I posted a while ago about watering habits for my Philodendron Selloum. I mentioned then it had a new leaf coming out. Well, it is still sitting exactly the same. It has been the same for a very long time. Does anyone know how long it takes for one of these leaves to open? Or is there something wrong with mine? I was thinking since the leaf is so big it may take a while, but this is ridiculous.

As always, any help appreciated.

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:107988}}

Comments (7)

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

It can take some time. From the picture, it looks like it may be a while -- Philodendron species in general tend to have a tip like that whether or not a new leaf is imminent; how quickly a leaf actually develops depends on a lot of different things.

This isn't bad -- it doesn't look like anything is wrong with your plant. It's just how they are.

• eileen_plants
    16 years ago

My Autumn Philo has the exact same problem. It's been about to unfurl for what seems like forever now. In summer, it's new leaves came in faster, could it be the fall season slowing things down? Thanks, Mr. S, for the info that philo species tend to have a tip like that, I wasn't aware of this. (I am enjoying your blog tremendously, BTW) My plant seems fine, as you say....guess we'll just have to wait it out!

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eileen I am with you! Here I thought I had a new leaf coming out and it's just a tip! (that I'm guessing will EVENTUALLY be a leaf). Thanks for the info Mr S.
    Lori

• nova12
    16 years ago

I have a selloum as well, and it didnt do anything until I put it outside, then it more than doubled over the summer. Since we have brought it in, and its been about a month, it has put out one leaf. Mine sits pretty for the winter, not doing too much of anything. I think it can be a fairly slow grower......I have a philodendron "pink princess", and it is just downright slow, no matter what I do to it. I almost hate it, but the pink is just so pretty.

• fozebear
    16 years ago

Hi Hornetwife & all,

You remind me of me. I am originally from Memphis and moved down here five years ago. In 1992 I bought a selloum and became instantly "bonded" to it. Watched it like a hawk and was so proud of every leaf. I remember once the dog knocked it over and smashed it up a little and I was so upset. And yes, it was a very slow grower. Anyway, in Jan 2002 I moved down here and brought my selloum with me. It had always been a house plant but when I got here they were growing everywhere so I put it out. Here it is today. It's about 7 feet tall and at least 8 feet across. Every day I look at it and I'm just amazed and sooooo proud! It makes blooms that are about 7 inches long and big, fat around every spring. I put the bleach bottle there in the photo to give you some scale. Anyway, it grew very slowly until I got it down here and then it went crazy. Obviously, it is out year 'round.

Now, my Pink Princess...she just limps along. Sometimes I'm so tempted to toss her out of pure spite. If it weren't for the pretty pink, she'd be in the compost heap! She's slow and straggly.

{{gwi:107989}}

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fozebear,
    Your Selloum is AMAZING! Very nice. And it is so ironic that I am FROM the Gulf Coast (Corpus Christi, TX) and now in Memphis. I really miss what all you can do with that Gulf Coast climate! I guess I will put my Selloum out next summer and see what it does here.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lori

• fozebear
    16 years ago

I'm so proud of it. I never dreamed they could get that big until I got down here.

I have looked into moving to Corpus Christi and hope to visit there next year to scout around. There is a military base there, yes? I'll bet you DO miss the climate. Memphis winters are miserable. The only things I miss about there is BBQ, Garden Ridge and there are lots of perennials that I had there that won't grow here. I really, really miss Garden Ridge. Have GR withdrawals!