Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus fern and spider plant WEEDS

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 15:34

I keep saying how these are weeds here and finally remembered to take some pics at my Mom's house.

Asparagus fern sprouts:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus fern and spider plant WEEDS

spider plant:

o

Purple..Amazing!!!

I could see how AF may be hardy, but Spiders?

Bet Spider runners root like crazy..Some pups look white. Is that the camera or natural color?

During the coldest months of the year, do AF and Spiders die back or stay green?

o

The whiteness is just glare from the sun, they're all plain green. Both plants get knocked down by winter. That's what it looked like yesterday. I'll try to remember to take a pic when they bloom in the spring, if Mom hasn't let me dig them out yet. The patch is going to be out of control if we (I) don't get it out soon.

o

"Asparagus Fern" (sometimes called Foxtail Fern) isn't a fern, but it is closely related to asparagus and is a flowering plant. It grows from tubers/thickened roots, and it is an invasive. Most often by people dumping unwanted plants. If you leave any part of the small tubers in the ground they will grow into new plants. So it can be very difficult to eradicate. It will also spread from seeds, and these can be carried by birds.

o

That's Asparagus densiflorus 'Sprengeri '. It is not referred to as Foxtail Fern, at least in this country. Sprengeri is a pretty common escaped weedy houseplant in climates that are warm.

It's the same with the Chloropytum. Spider plants should never have been introduced into the landscape.

Foxtail fern is another A. densiflorus cultivar.....'Meyersii '. It truly looks like a foxtail (the animal), thus the common name.

o

Here's the Google Images results for 'foxtail fern'.

o

Morning,

Rhizo, no Google pics. :)

Here's my Foxtail..sorry, pic was taken last year, but it's sill around.

Fox Tail Fern

Ming Fern

Ming Fern

Plumosis Fern..though I cut it down

Plumosis Fern

S. Asparagus Fern, sold as variegated

Asparagus Fern

The Ming and Foxtail have grown a lot..don't know where they'll go this winter..

They love cool temps. Flower and berry in autumn. Flowers drop once indoors, but berries remain until red, and can last for months.

Trying to decide if I should cut them back, 'if possible,' to bring indoors..I hate tossing remains though. Toni

o

Thanks for the clarification on the proper names for the "fern." I don't like this plant well enough to investigate. I'm hoping my Mom recognizes that one for the weed it is soon too. Didn't know there was a variegated version. Interesting, Toni.

I put some more pics from my Mom's front yard on the conversation side. She's also got a huge infestation of variegated Vinca which she's quite attached to. The rest of it is mostly decent plants except for some trashy shrubs that were there when they moved in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here