Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlarry_gw

Mounting excitement!

greenlarry
11 years ago

My xmas cactus suddenly woke up and put out a bumper crop of flower buds. Almost every 'branch' carries a bud, some 2 to a bud!

So I cant move it now!

Comments (19)

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And heres the whole plant.
    I must start giving them names...

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Nice, mine are small. I dont have much luck with them. Please post a picture when it is blooming. I would love to see it.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You can guarantee I will do! I love sharing pics of my plants. I do have photos of it in bloom from previous years...

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Just like you Greenlarry, I love showing off my CC's!

I have several putting out buds as we speak and I can't wait to see them flowers.
    I got many that had no label, so the colors will take me by surprise. I have some that bloom yellow too.

I can't wait to see yours. Don't you just love it when there is more than one bud per stem?

Mike

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

(Larry , please don't give them human names!) It would be called a Thanksgiving cactus over here as it can be depended upon to bloom in November/December. Christmas cactus have rounded phylloclades (stem segments) while the Thanksgiving variety have those pointed segments....almost like a crab.

Yours is right on time!

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought the ones with rounded phylloclades were Easter Cactus!

11 years ago

The Easter cactus has rounded segments, as well. But, they are very easy to identify by the very obvious bristles or hairs located in between the segments.

Purple, if you're following this, would you mind posting a picture of your Easter cactus? It's a good example.

• ninecrow
    11 years ago

Noticed One on Mine as Well, I'm/Hope Sure There are More I Just Haven't Seen Them Yet....

Very Nice Thanks for Sharing

11 years ago

Larry I forgot to tell you to keep us posted with pictures! I, for one, never get tired at looking at these beautiful plants, especially as they begin to bud. Your plant looks wonderfully healthy.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Rhizo!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I try to follow most threads but having a hard time this week. Think I'm buying a new computer today. The available selection will be the deciding factor. This one's got something serious wrong with it and I'd rather buy a new one than give that jerk at the computer store much less money to fix this one. So there! Take THAT!

And I almost cut one of my fav toes off Wed, it's definitely in my top 10! So I'm not walking around much while I wait to make sure it's healed enough to not break open again. No I'm not getting stitches. He** to the NO!

Aaaaanyway, think this one shows a flower bud and hairs best from the pics I have. Sorry, this was from phone. When I'm getting around a little better, I'll take a pic with real camera.

I can't tell from your pic of those are new leaves or flower buds. They're similar for a few days at first if your plant is same as mine. Kind of think they're buds since that doesn't look like enough light to make the new growth reddish at first. Only had this plant a few months though, my newbie observations...

Either way, it's definitely cause for excitement! Unhappy plants don't grow new things that fast and abundantly.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh they're definitely flower buds Purple, bang om time for xmas. Thanksgiving cactus, lol

11 years ago

That's very cool, Larry!

My plant has been making a flower or two at a time for a while since being put in dappled light. I think it really likes it there. (Set on the ground to take a pic this morning.)

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple, looks like yours is a deep red, envious. Mine is ordinary pink.

• Lamora
    11 years ago

koolness to you all! Look what my TC is doing~ the one I have been stressing over for a while~~ go figure
    {{gwi:108160}}
    All I had to do was "wait" lol. I know it is a very small start, but it is still a start! Maybe a lesson is to be learned here? for me of course ;)
    Marjie

11 years ago

That's so cute!!! Well done.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Easter Cactus leaf segments are round, as Rhizo stated. Flowers differ from TC and CC.

Easter Cactus

{{gwi:90999}}

Easter Cactus blooms

{{gwi:86866}}

Wish my Easter Cactus looked as nice as when first purchased..Reason I bought this guy were flower colors..One side has red blooms, the other side orange.

{{gwi:86864}}

Larry, your TC is a beauty! So full and compact.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Itd getting restarted soon...

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

At first glance, I thought it was turning into a Tarantula! It is beautful Larry as well as yours Toni.

I love the two tone effect on the flowers. Nice.

Mike