Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cruzinpattis

Lucky Bamboo/ Dracaena sanderiana starting to turn Yellow- Help!

cruzinpattis
9 years ago

I have a 7 ft tall lucky bamboo aka Dracaena sanderiana planted in soil.
It was just 1 ft tall when I got it few years back.
Last year it sprouted new plants.
Always looked healthy with dark green leaves.

Now just this week, I noticed the leaves are fading... Turning a light green some are turning more yellow.
I am worried sick.

I do not feed it any fertilizer.
Before watering, I let the tap water sit out for a couple of days on my counter.

Any suggestions to stop the yellowing?

Included a photo...unfortunately you can't see the yellowing.

Comments (12)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I'd imagine it's an issue with not fertilizing. Have you never fertilized it? The soil can only provide nutrients but for so long. That's when we have to supplement by fertilizing.

Planto

• cruzinpattis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto
    Maybe you're onto something.

Today I was going to repot with new soil, but it started to rain.
    Going to do it tomorrow.

This evening, I wiped down each leaf with water with a dap of soap.

After which, will give it a low dose of miracle gro.
    Keeping my figures crossed!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

*crossing fingers*

Planto

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Just wanted to comment, its a real beauty!!!!!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Sure is! Gorgeous! Keep up the great work!! Absolutely love it, and your wonderful, clear pic of it. The trunks never do turn hard, woody, brown at the bottom. Very few pics of beautiful older specimens like yours out there, and even fewer pics that show the whole thing clearly.

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

That particular plant is gorgeous!, Have u ever thought of propagating it to increase your chance of having it longer? What shocked me so is that it has its bottom leaves! With Dracaenas, its a sign of a really happy plant!

• cruzinpattis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your nice compliments.

Plant has a lot of meaning to me...
    Giving to me by my dear Mother, who has now passed.
    It was just maybe a foot tall when she gave it to me.
    It fit under the upper kitchen cabinet.
    Now it has grown to almost 7 ft in height.
    The stems are flimsy.
    I have spikes to hold it up.

Last night, I cleaned each leaf with water and mild dish soap.
    Today I gave it new soil and weak diluted miracle gro fertilizer.
    The roots were red, so I know it's still healthy.

Hoping all my efforts does the trick and get Lucky with my Lucky Bamboo not dying.

• annefrank199
    7 years ago

you need to prune your plant.. just clip it from the top, it's not going to hurt anything, and it will make your lucky bamboo grow thicker.. also repot the plant (it's probably root-bound if it's been in that same pot for several years).. get the next size pot, use "Miracle-Gro Potting Mix" along with "jobe spikes" ... and your plant will be revitalized..

• jamilalshaw26
    7 years ago

Thats one of the prettiest Draceanas I've seen. Keep up the good work and i hope all goes well with the repot!

• jentsu926
    7 years ago

Beautiful plant! Your mother did a great job, and I think she would be proud of your dedication toward her legacy. I transplanted mine to soil back in June. Not sure if this helps, but I use a hydroponic fertilizer solution for mine. I keep the mix weak (1/2 the growing season recommendation), so as to avoid the yellowing associated with fertilizer overload, but I water in a rather porous mix, so watering occurs more often. I use tap water, too, which is kind of unheard of when they are in vases of just water. I think they look so much prettier and fuller in soil.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    7 years ago

I don't think the person with the incredibly beautiful plant has been on this site since 2014.