Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (21)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

I've always felt GW is a wonderful place to gather - best on the web, and I've made some lasting and very important (to me) friendships here, so I feel blessed to be able to make it a part of nearly every day.

I wouldn't feel right about complaining about anything, so I'll offer one suggestion. Most of us have made blunder in grammar, spelling, or wanted to add another thought or two to a recently made post ....... or maybe even said things we want back come morning of the next day. For those instances, an edit feature would be extremely helpful.

Al

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I second the edit feature; even though we can preview each post before we commit sometimes errors creep in!

11 years ago

I leave a lot of long posts, and I'm often pressed for time to get them done because something else demands attention, so I often post without thoroughly proofing the offering (my fault entirely - no doubt) and end up asking myself if I really wrote that when I read it after it's posted.

I forgot to mention that improving our ability to search would also be a big plus, so count me glad you mentioned that, too.

Al

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I have one area Id like to see improvements, email notifications. I get them fine of course but instead of linking me to the actual discussion I just get a link to the forum. And if its an old discussion someone found and replied to I would have to search for it!

• Lamora
    11 years ago

Hi, Yes, agreed on the editing and possible deleting of posts. There have been many times that I would love to just delete one of my threads for one reason or another.

Plus, now I know this is a Plant forum, but like a lot of people here, I feel like I have some friends here. Sometimes I would like to just talk about other things too. If there is a place for just General Chat, I can't find it, but would love to have one. Sometimes some of us just need to talk about other things.. :)

Marjie

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Well, thats what Conversations was for marje, but people stopped using it! Maybe a seperate chat section could work tho, a kind of GardenWeb Pals forum?

• tifflj
    11 years ago

I would like to upload more than one picture at a time. I do agree with being able to delete a post, IF, you are the person who created it to begin with...however, what if the post contains valuable information for a beginner.

I would also like a way to talk about other things, if other want to talk to me I guess. I suppose that is why I have offered the facebook suggestion if others want to connect on a differnt platform.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

I don't have a problem with connecting with others here with O.T stuff.
    Since many of us frequent certain forums, I find it best to say O.T at the start of a thread on thta specific forum, and then every one that frequents that forum can have a blast and join in.
    There is already one going at the 'Container Forum' as I speak.

I would though like to be able to edit as everyone else has suggested. Now,that would be nice.

Thank you for being interested in us Tamara.

What about a 'Weather' forum?, since that can bring many out.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Would love to see some of you here:-)

• tifflj
    11 years ago

How about an app similar to Koubachi??

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

All you "chatters " have to do is click on the CONVERSATIONS link in this very forum. GW added that feature to several forums a few years ago and they have gone largely unused.

If you are looking for a separate forum where you can chat about other things, you might try Garden Party forum, which has been active for many years...or the Kitchen Table. Both of these forums are alive and well here in the GardenWeb.

Nothing new needs to be added.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Single Uploads could be a pain but I rarely use it as I simply insert the pics direct into posts via Photobucket etc.
    Links to discussions is an important omission!

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

ok, lemme be the 1st to mention EDIT,,,, hehe
    or maybe just an overall more 'conventional' forum format, with the usual 'standard' features (bells-whistles),,? if thats the 'Moon', then heres my 'craters' pick-3:
    Edit, individual post Number's, Multiple Upload. :)

11 years ago

Multiple upload ability would be great ..... if a seconding of the motion is needed to bring the resolution up for formal consideration. I was really pleased to see the recent addition of the basic upload feature.

Al

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Silentsurfer, re the conventional forum format, thats what I meant by a proper forum! Easy multiple uploads etc. But unfortunately it would be difficult with GW because its so vast! Theres like hundreds of forums with GW- I dont know how it could be done!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Tamara, thanks for taking input.

Upload feature:
    Needs to be tweaked so the image info stays in the browse box after one clicks preview. Several times a day people post and wonder why their picture is missing. It's because they clicked preview, edited their comments again. This causes the picture to disappear. Please fix this!!

Main forum page:
    If this was dynamic, that would save a lot of time. Many forums have an indicator to tell you if a forum has new posts since your last visit. I like to stay current in about 25 of the GW forums, and it takes a lot of time to click each one to see if there are new posts.

Email notifications:
    Thanks for adding these, but only one notice should be needed per thread. TripAdvisor sends one notice only until you re-visit a thread, no matter how many new posts are added, until you visit it again.

PLEASE PLEASE fix it so paragraphs can be used in profile info!

It would be so cool to be able to access the pictures each user has uploaded via a link in their profile.

Thanks & have a great day!

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Yes the uploads is weird at the moment. You type your post, then have to hit preview to see the Upload button, then select your file, then hit previw again! A bit long winded!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tamara, thanks for taking an interest in us GardenWeb chatterers. 'word probably not found in dictionary.'

I haven't any problems w/o the new and improved GW..other than ads/pop-ups, but advertisements are understandable.

Otherwise, GW is a wonderful place to make friends, discuss plants, and post pictures.

Thanks for your concern... Toni

• Lamora
    11 years ago

OK thanks! found the Garden Party! lol-- either I missed it or I didn't know where to look, sorry, should have asked before (totally embaressed now)

Thanks again :)
    Marjie

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Searches for Garden Party, sounds like BlossomSwap before it changed
    See you there ...

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Thanks, Tamara. Have a great day!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH