Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

keeping the color in an arrowhead vine

kwie2011
9 years ago

I took a cutting from a Syngonium podophylum cultivar with some very nice reddish-mauvish-pinkish color in the leaves late last summer. The cutting is growing fairly well since I got it - putting out new leaves, but it's not nearly as colorful as its parent plant.

It is my understanding that colorful plants generally have better color in bright light. My plant is getting much more light than the parent plant was, so I'm confused. The parent was in a dried out pot, and looking very withered in an east-facing window with a drawn blind in an urgent care office. It wad etiolated and bent sideways toward the window.

Mine is in mostly bright shade with a southern exposure and gets about 3 hours of direct sun daily, but it's also outside, so it's been warmer and colder than the parent plant.

I have 3 S. podophylums right now. All are from similar sized cuttings. All are different cultivars. The other two are different white variegated varieties. Theyc in nothing but wet moss awaiting planting, but both are growing much faster than this one, which is potted (in plain soil, which I will rectify with gritty mix today). It's my first red variety, so I don't know if the cultivar naturally grows much more slowly, or if something about its environment is affecting the growth speed as well as the color.

Anyone have experience with this?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax