Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polly381

Crooked stem plant

Polly381
11 years ago

I just bought this at Lowe's, no tag of course. Any ideas what it might be? I thought it looked sort of like it was in the bamboo family but I am not sure.

Thanks

Comments (12)

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I know this one. Its not a grass (bamboo is a type of grass) but I think its something close to Euphorbia.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK I will research that. It was the only one there, I asked the attendant and they didnt know. SURPRISE!! (Not)
    thanks Larry

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Good luck! Id like to know too.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Larry here is what I found but this is one is varigated.
    Euphorbia tiruis. I cant find any other information besides the name. If anyone else has growing information, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Nope. sorry, I don't think so.

I think it's called Pedilanthus (Devil's Ivy). It comes in all green & in variegated. I believe it's a form of Euphorbia, so I'd recommend caution when handling it & its sap (to avoid potential skin irritation).

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Ah,Pedilanthus tityhmaloides, also known as Euphorbia tithymaloides. Lumpers and splitters in action again..and yes its toxic:

Here is a link that might be useful: Zig Zag Euphorbia info

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Larry, I appreciate the info.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Of course I want one...;)

• strobiculate
    11 years ago

Pedilanthus thithamaloides. A few cultivars available. Reddish tint develops if temps cool enough. Can flower, small little red flowers that appear to be flying, leading to the name red bird cactus. I prefer the variegated forms, especially a cultivar called splish splash, with a variegated stem in addition to the leaf.

What in the euphorbia group ain't poisonous to some degree?

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

It's scientific name is Euphorbia tithymaloides. According to Wiki these are some of it's common names:

Buck-thorn, Cimora misha, Christmas Candle, Devil's Backbone, Fiddle Flower, Ipecacuahana, Jacob's Ladder, Japanese Poinsettia, Jew's Slipper, Jewbush, Milk-Hedge, Myrtle-Leaved Spurge, Padus-Leaved Clipper Plant, Red Slipper Spurge, Redbird Cactus, Redbird Flower, Slipper Flower, Slipper Plant, Slipper Spurge, Timora Misha, and Zig-Zag Plant.

I've only ever called it Zig-Zag Plant. I've got a lot of it at my place, both green and variegated. Never look after it. Some is growing in full shade and doesn't have a lot of growth. One growing in the sun is a big clump/bush, or maybe multiple plants.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow thanks everyone. I seen it last week and when I went back today it was still there.
    Thanks everyone for the info.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio