Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlarry_gw

Worms!

greenlarry
11 years ago

We all know the good that worms do in our gardens, so what about heavy compost (potting soil)?

You have a plant the soil is a bit thick but rather than repotting put a worm in with it! I put one in with my Orchid. Lets see how it goes...

If all else fails I can feed it to one of my Tarantulas...

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

You're not the first person to think that this is a great idea. It isn't! It is a perfect example of something that can be hugely beneficial in the yard or garden, but not within the confines of a container.

Here's why.....earthworms are in the decomposing/recycling business! They feed on (ingest) particles of soil and organic matter of all minds, which eventually ends up being excreted as a very fine textured, nutrient rich mud-like substance.

In a container, a worm can turn a nice, crumbly, porous mix into worm poop. The excrement gums up the good physical characteristics of a fast draining, coarse textured potting medium.

Earthworms belong in the garden. Does all of that make sense?

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does, but one must experiment.

• Lamora
    11 years ago

Good luck on your experiment, let us know how it turns out.

All I think of with earthworms is a very bumpy yard!! Never thought of putting them with my indoor plants. I think I will leave them for the birds.

I know, no help here, just my 2 cents worth~~ lol (had to say it);)
    Marjie

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Gardens and pots provide very different environs for plants, and as a result require different approaches to growing in each - for best results. On a scale from 1-10, with growing in the ground being 1 and hydroponics being a 10, growing in containers would be about a 7 or 8 - much closer to hydroponics than growing in the earth. The container gardener whose primary focus is directed at ensuring the soil provides the structural stability required to guarantee adequate aeration/drainage for the intended life of the planting will always have a leg up on growers who approach container culture trusting to luck or relying on their gardening (in the earth) skills to carry the day.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Now, now Greenlarry, what will you feed it?lol

I just had to. I am one of those who like open mixes too, and wouldn't think of puting a worm and my plants through such a horrific time, but hey, it's Halloween season...Have fun:-)

Mike

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Al, on the scale 1 to 10 you gave are you saying that 1 is the most ideal? Because a plant growing in the ground will have the best conditions yet you put that at 1!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

The 1-10 scale is for perspective. On the far left you have gardening in the ground. On the far right, you have hydroponics. Growing in containers falls between the two, but well right of center. Growing in containers is MUCH closer to hydroponics than it is to growing in the garden, so it isn't surprising it requires an approach different from that used for growing in the ground. Much of what works well in the garden should be left there. Container culture is vastly different than growing in the garden, which is why an expert gardener isn't necessarily an expert container gardener.

.... and who's to say a plant growing in the ground "will" have the best conditions? The container gardening forum is full of gardeners forced to grow in containers because they've been unsuccessful at growing in the ground, precisely because of poor conditions. ;-)

Al