Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grantgarden22

Christmas/Thanksgiving cactus Semi hydro

Has anyone ever tried to grow Christmas or thanksgiving cactus in semi hydro?

Comments (6)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Yes, I tried & did it for a while. Didn't work well for me, tho' I do that w/ some Hoyas & some Sans. to great success. I gave up on it (I think after I'd lost 2 of the 3 cuttings I'd been trying).

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do have any pictures of the setup?

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

at Hoya forum, ps. search Hydro Hoya kerii

at Sans. forum (or today at C&S) search Hydro Sans. or Aqua Sans.

Sorry, I don't know how make links, gotta run!

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

i.ve been keeping my 10 year old thanksgiving castuc in semi-hydro for may be 4 years. it was always blooming for me - in east/south-east/south /west window, don't seem to matter.
    it started as a little grocery plant and after sev years it got a little too wet and some stems dropped, i repotted it finally (1st repot) - don't remember in what, smth standard commercial with peat. after another may be 4? years i repotted it again - in the same pot with more perlite added and wrapped on perimeter with coir matting (cocofiber) - with a braided wick on the outside. i did it so it won't dry up when i am away for sev weeks during holidays (and it's blooming) - did not want to loose the buds.
    so it stayed like that for another 4 years. just now (kinda wrong timing...but i risked it anyway) - i repotted it again. biggest repot ever, trimmed the roots and potted it in exoticrainforest jungle mix. i started using it for most of my tropical moisture loving plants that i keep on self-watering wicks. i double up on perlite though for wicking. it's been a week now, i keep it tented with plastic further from the window for now. so far so good. it'll probably delay flowering. but that's ok with me, since i have 2 more 'babies' that are pretty big by now and flowering nicely too.
    as far as set-up - i put a plastic pot with a wick inside a cachepot with water. it wicks. occasionally i let it dry-up and then water over-head. especially when i want to keep it drier.
    the 4 year old babies are also self-watering.
    i posted about it some time ago. look towards the end - sev msgs with a pic of mama plant and baby below. that's last year.
    i trim them every year to keep it branching. but i do not bareroot on repot, just loosen up some soil a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: my holiday cactus in semi-hydro pic

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow petruska what an amazing picture of the thanksgiving cactus! What color are the blooms? Any pictures of what it looks like as today?

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

here it is blooming last nov. these are 2 plants: big one on top and the second smaller on the lower level - but visually they appear to be one plant

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH