Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greybird_keke

Callisia fragrans growth question

greybird_keke
10 years ago

While bringing in my Callisia fragrans for the winter (plant in basket on right of photo), I accidentally stepped on a baby plant developing on the end of one of the runners. I just cut it off and left the runner. Now I am wondering, will another plant form on that same runner, or should I have just cut the whole runner off? It's not like I need more plants, I was just curious!

Also, has anyone had these bloom under lights in the winter?

Nancy

Comments (24)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hey, that looks great! I saw your question yesterday, but am not sure. I know I've damaged tips before, and *think* they kind of end up as just dud-ends after that. There's so many in so many different places, I really can't say for sure. When I share the babies, I usually break the whole stalk all the way back to the mama plant, to yield a bigger entity that will take longer to dry out while making roots. It can be confusing to explain how that cut end isn't the best way to 'plant' the cutting though, from what I've seen playing with these.

Has your plant invaded other pots yet? Gotta keep an eye on those babies. What a great shelf for plants!

Really, REALLY hope you get some flowers to sniff in a few months!

• greybird_keke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Purple, I figured it probably won't put out another plant on the damaged runner, but thought I'd ask before cutting it off....but I guess I could just leave it on and see what happens, too!

Now, hoping for blooms!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I'm experimenting with you. I cut a few for trading, and some of the long runners have been putting out roots and look like they may be making shoots. So we'll see how it goes!

10 years ago

Yeah, every time I think I've seen this plant do every different thing it can, something new happens, usually to the one(s) I gave away. I think the coolest thing I've seen is this stolon/baby, sending out 3 of its' own. Yep, this belongs to a friend.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Oh mine was doing that! Babies were having more babies lol.

• marquest
    10 years ago

Yes that plant grows like a weed you can do what ever you want you certainly cannot kill it. I thought I had killed it a couple of times.

I cut the entire stem and stick it in the pot. Once the pot gets to full I start giving them away.

• greybird_keke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In the few days since I posted this, it looks like there is indeed a new bud forming at the damaged tip! So I will continue to let it grow and see what happens...

This post was edited by greybird_keke on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 21:00

10 years ago

Heythere, hopefully enough has happened to offer an update? I hope everyone is seeing some bud stalks starting to form on these? Let's hear/see what's going on with everyone's plant?

This plant got knocked loose a few weeks ago from where it was hanging on the back porch, by the roof being replaced. Hammering knocked the nail loose it was hanging from. I happened to go out to get it because although it can handle *light* frost, we had some temps in the teens predicted. It was on the ground in a heap of dirt & broken pot. A lot of the babies were broken loose so I potted everything back up & brought it in. I don't think the plants even noticed the experience and now it looks better than it did before it was forcibly repotted. These things are TOUGH! The next time it needs to be repotted, maybe I'll just throw it down? Still has some dirt in the rosettes from the fall, but I don't want to get this plant wet enough to shower that off.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Tiff,
    I realize this is a little off topic, but I have been meaning to ask you if you have any recent news regarding the plant collection you gave your friend (your Callisia fragrans picture reminded me of it, haha)? I don't remember if you've ever posted pictures of your Callisia fragrans in bloom, but would you mind posting a picture once it starts blooming? It's always nice seeing your plants, I'm quite envious actually. ;)

Planto

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Meant to tell you! So mine is making babies off the end, but it is slow going. i also think it may bloom, but I am having a hard time telling. I think it may be the light and the cool weather keeping things slow.

10 years ago

Planto, TY for the kind comments! Unfortunately, most of the foliage of my friend's bucket plant is toasted from cold. I'll take a pic of it Monday. These Callisias take a few weeks for the stalks to get ready to bloom, then I have to 'catch' the flowers open. But will definitely put a pic! I'm sure mine won't be the only one. (Confident attitude, right?)

J, sending good vibes! I gave up trying to predict what these things are going to do, they almost always prove me wrong! Weird-o's for sure.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Purple,
    Of course. :) That's sad to hear about your friend's plants. I did ask my question before the bad weather hit the South. Perhaps since the ones you chose for your friend are know for their hardiness, as long as their roots survived, they'll pop back in the Spring. I'll be looking for your picture. It's a bummer when you have a plant whose blooms only last for a day. Good luck predicting plants, haha!

Planto

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Yeah, Purple! I think that mine is going to bloom, but it's like molasses. it's had a stalk for weeks and weeks and nothing is happening!

10 years ago

LOL, TY, Planto! :) Last winter lulled him into a false sense of security, but I do think most stuff will pop back. It will be interesting to see the results in a couple months (after Monday's pic.)

J, it's getting taller? Could get over 2 feet before it feels ready... I had a few kind of braided last year, trying to be under some sort of control while inside.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Purple,
    I'm looking forward to Monday's pic and another pic in the future. This has been one odd winter, for sure.

Planto

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Purple-- not really. it grew up to about 2.5ft and has stayed stable since December.

10 years ago

Huh, I think it would be ready to open the blooms, but 'twould be a prediction to say so.

Been a long time since I searched for info about this plant. There are some great pics and info here where it's stated as a fact the flowers wilt about noon. I trust observations of patches of ground plants are more reliable than my own sporadic ones of potted plants. Makes me think my plants haven't been as great as I thought, I didn't think it bloomed every day at all - 'cuz I've never seen a plant of mine doing that.

This 'main' pot of this plant looks so great after the forced repot, best it's been. That spot gets maybe 45 mins of sun in the morning. It should be hanging somewhere, that's a hanging pot, just haven't attached arms yet. Plants are playing musical spots here trying to get everybody some sun, sometimes, WHEN that ball of fire is able to shine through all of the clouds. Rough winter for plants about everywhere!

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I think mine thinks it is in some kind of frozen hell lol. It's in the cold window, the one that freezes over when it gets too cold. So I think that is what is slowing it down.

• mfyss
    10 years ago

An old photo of the flower. I think it opened at night, and guess that it may be pollinated by moths. Yale

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Cool shot Yale, the plants looks either crystaline or frozen, neat effect.

So I'm reading along w/ you all, I used to grow this plant. Got curious about something & looked it up. This is part of a Wikipedia entry on Callisia fragrans:

"Callisia fragrans, commonly known as the Basket Plant, Chain Plant or Inch Plant, is a species of the Callisia genus, in the Commelinaceae family.[1]

Basket plant is native to South America. The country of origin of the plant is Mexico.[2]"

Do the last 2 lines seem odd to you? They did to me.

10 years ago

Yes, Mexico is most certainly in N America! Somebody is geographically confused, or they just don't know where this plant comes from (or both.) This whole family seems to suffer from extreme confusion and lack of reliable references, good example of such.

Interesting macro, Yale!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

PG,
    Haha, that's Wikipedia for you. Anyone can edit the information and unfortunately, that means there's room for misinformation. I can't remember what I was looking up one day, but I found a Wiki page for a succulent and the picture shown was not of the succulent named. Go figure.

Planto

10 years ago

Yes! I don't trust pics on Wiki at all after seeing so many wrong ones, and consider the info there a starting point. If I can't confirm it, I don't believe it. I think it's excellent at doing what it claims to do - store the info people think they know and submit. There are some amazingly well-written, accurate, and helpful articles there. The frustrating thing about the pics is that there is no facility for any feedback about them, or to contact the person who submitted it.

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Tiff,
    I think that's a good statement, "consider the info there a starting point." I agree about not being able to contact the person who submitted photos.

Speaking of wrong photos, I just came across a link on iVillage that showed a "Satin Pothos" and it was labeled "Neon Pothos." I was going to submit a comment about the photo, but it told me I had to have an account. Poo, I don't want to make an account just to make a comment. Granted, on the bright side, I was given the opportunity to make a comment regarding the picture.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 12:07

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus