Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this look like a Peperpmia to ypu?

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 16:17

Ive had this plant for years now, under the impression it was a Pep, but having googled the genus Im unsure. Most have sturdier looking stems, and smooth, hairless leaves, with no trichomes on the stems. Or am I just not seeing those features on other pics?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this look like a Peperpmia to ypu?

I could be wrong, but it looks like a Kalanchoe to me.
It's really pretty..love the red stems and fuzzy leaves.

o

Can you show us a picture from further back to see the habit?

o

Oh its no Kalanchoe, that Im certain of.
Here's a pic taken years ago, not longer after I bought it.

o

That IS a Peperomia, I just don't know which one.

Perhaps Karen 715 (if she's around) will know, she's the resident Pep maven.

o

Thanks PG

o

hmm, luv the texured lemon/lime look of it,,

Larry
purty sure thats: "peperomia thingymyfolia"
no really, i saw it another thread :)~

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg101512043874.html?79

o

Thats the one mike but I wasnt 100% sure it was a Pep.

o

Hi GL,

Has this ever flowered for you? If so, that could clarify beyond doubt if it's a Pep of ANY kind (or not).

o

Karen, great point...

Larry, did you spray leaves before snapping pic?

o

"Larry, did you spray leaves before snapping pic?"

Err, not that I remember Toni. Its a succulent so I wouldnt mist them anyway...plus I dont have a mister....

o

I have one of these (I've just recently started collecting peperomias, but I only have a very few right now) but mine is light/med green and the older leaves have skinny dark-green scribble veins on them...

Sorry I cant help the name, but it is a peperomia.

-FPT

o

Larry...reason I asked...the second picture looks like it had recently been sprayed/showered.
Does it have fuzzy leaves? Pic one and two differ??? They're not the same plant, are they?

Pic 2 reminds me of P. obtusifolia w/velvety foliage. So, as far as I know, it can't be obtusifolia.

I don't spray succulents either, but after being summered outside, they are showered w/and soaked in soapy water, then sprayed w/home-made insecticide and Fish Emulsion..gotta rid creepy-crawlers..lol.

o

Yes they are both the same plant, and yes theyre furry. The second pic is years old, its when I first bought it as a tiny plant.

o

Who'd have thunk?? :)

Can you post a new pic from the top? Maybe it's the angle, but plants look dissimilar.
I believe you Larry..so please don't think I'm doubting you..maybe it's my eyes..lol

o
RE: Does this look like a Peperomia to you?

There you go Toni...

o

Larry, what a pretty Pep..Wonder which species you have.
Red stems and variegated leaves..So cute. I like.

o

Id rather it was all green, looks anemic to me. Is certainly a thirsty plant!

o

Peperomia orba. A variegated form, which is neat, I haven't seen that before. And yes, they're pretty thirsty, though they do tolerate going dry for brief periods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google it!

o

Thanks Cliss, orba it is!
Would gladly trade for caperata, thats one I really want!

o

Can't help you there, I'm afraid... I do pretty well with P. obtusifolia (or maybe it's magnolifolia, I can't tell them apart) and P. incana, and I have small plants of P. scandens variegata and P. orba that are doing OK for me so far, but every other Peperomia I've ever gotten has rotted out within a couple of months. (Excepting the P. clusiifolia I tossed when it got mealy bugs. I'm still annoyed about that one...)

o

Well this current plant is actually a cutting off the discarded parent plant. Its not an easy plant yo like when mature, and it never flowers!

o

Larry..I guess you and I differ in opinion when it comes to plant color. You like green, I prefer variegated.. :)

Also, P. caperata, 'Emerald Gem,' is the most common Pep around, although red, silver or variegated caperatas are a tad harder locating, but, not impossible. Heck, Walmart and Home Depot sells them.

Cliss, Peps are difficult..they dislike wet feet but dote on high humidity.

P. obtusifolia and P. clausifolia 'Rainbow,' aren't as fussy.

P. graveolens 'Ruby Glow' and P. asperula's are difficult.
Last Feb I purchased P. asperula in a 2" pot. Although the container was small, asperula stood approximately 11".

While washing dishes, asperula fell off window sill, cracked halfway down the main stem. That's all it took..the broken cutting and mom plant died.

P. 'Ruby Glow' is my favorite..love its red, folded foliage..Wish it loved me..lol. Toni

o

Toni, I like Some variegation, depends on the type and the plant.
Variegated rubbe trees and pothos no, chlorophytum and agave yes.

o

Larry, I rarely see green Pothos for sale these days. Most have markings. Marble/Silver Queen, etc.

Otherwise, most plants sold locally are green. Very few variegated plants are sold here..One reason I enjoy online ordering..

o

I really liked the look of that Scindapsus pictus that I think silversurfer posted recently, gorgeous. But splashy random variegation, not for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here