Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlarry_gw

Does this look like a Peperpmia to ypu?

greenlarry
11 years ago

Ive had this plant for years now, under the impression it was a Pep, but having googled the genus Im unsure. Most have sturdier looking stems, and smooth, hairless leaves, with no trichomes on the stems. Or am I just not seeing those features on other pics?

Comments (25)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

I could be wrong, but it looks like a Kalanchoe to me.
    It's really pretty..love the red stems and fuzzy leaves.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Can you show us a picture from further back to see the habit?

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh its no Kalanchoe, that Im certain of.
    Here's a pic taken years ago, not longer after I bought it.

{{gwi:108535}}

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

That IS a Peperomia, I just don't know which one.

Perhaps Karen 715 (if she's around) will know, she's the resident Pep maven.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks PG

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

hmm, luv the texured lemon/lime look of it,,

Larry
    purty sure thats: "peperomia thingymyfolia"
    no really, i saw it another thread :)~

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg101512043874.html?79

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats the one mike but I wasnt 100% sure it was a Pep.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi GL,

Has this ever flowered for you? If so, that could clarify beyond doubt if it's a Pep of ANY kind (or not).

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karen, great point...

Larry, did you spray leaves before snapping pic?

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Larry, did you spray leaves before snapping pic?"

Err, not that I remember Toni. Its a succulent so I wouldnt mist them anyway...plus I dont have a mister....

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I have one of these (I've just recently started collecting peperomias, but I only have a very few right now) but mine is light/med green and the older leaves have skinny dark-green scribble veins on them...

Sorry I cant help the name, but it is a peperomia.

-FPT

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry...reason I asked...the second picture looks like it had recently been sprayed/showered.
    Does it have fuzzy leaves? Pic one and two differ??? They're not the same plant, are they?

Pic 2 reminds me of P. obtusifolia w/velvety foliage. So, as far as I know, it can't be obtusifolia.

I don't spray succulents either, but after being summered outside, they are showered w/and soaked in soapy water, then sprayed w/home-made insecticide and Fish Emulsion..gotta rid creepy-crawlers..lol.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes they are both the same plant, and yes theyre furry. The second pic is years old, its when I first bought it as a tiny plant.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Who'd have thunk?? :)

Can you post a new pic from the top? Maybe it's the angle, but plants look dissimilar.
    I believe you Larry..so please don't think I'm doubting you..maybe it's my eyes..lol

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There you go Toni...

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry, what a pretty Pep..Wonder which species you have.
    Red stems and variegated leaves..So cute. I like.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Id rather it was all green, looks anemic to me. Is certainly a thirsty plant!

• cliss
    11 years ago

Peperomia orba. A variegated form, which is neat, I haven't seen that before. And yes, they're pretty thirsty, though they do tolerate going dry for brief periods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google it!

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cliss, orba it is!
    Would gladly trade for caperata, thats one I really want!

• cliss
    11 years ago

Can't help you there, I'm afraid... I do pretty well with P. obtusifolia (or maybe it's magnolifolia, I can't tell them apart) and P. incana, and I have small plants of P. scandens variegata and P. orba that are doing OK for me so far, but every other Peperomia I've ever gotten has rotted out within a couple of months. (Excepting the P. clusiifolia I tossed when it got mealy bugs. I'm still annoyed about that one...)

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well this current plant is actually a cutting off the discarded parent plant. Its not an easy plant yo like when mature, and it never flowers!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry..I guess you and I differ in opinion when it comes to plant color. You like green, I prefer variegated.. :)

Also, P. caperata, 'Emerald Gem,' is the most common Pep around, although red, silver or variegated caperatas are a tad harder locating, but, not impossible. Heck, Walmart and Home Depot sells them.

Cliss, Peps are difficult..they dislike wet feet but dote on high humidity.

P. obtusifolia and P. clausifolia 'Rainbow,' aren't as fussy.

P. graveolens 'Ruby Glow' and P. asperula's are difficult.
    Last Feb I purchased P. asperula in a 2" pot. Although the container was small, asperula stood approximately 11".

While washing dishes, asperula fell off window sill, cracked halfway down the main stem. That's all it took..the broken cutting and mom plant died.

P. 'Ruby Glow' is my favorite..love its red, folded foliage..Wish it loved me..lol. Toni

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, I like Some variegation, depends on the type and the plant.
    Variegated rubbe trees and pothos no, chlorophytum and agave yes.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry, I rarely see green Pothos for sale these days. Most have markings. Marble/Silver Queen, etc.

Otherwise, most plants sold locally are green. Very few variegated plants are sold here..One reason I enjoy online ordering..

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really liked the look of that Scindapsus pictus that I think silversurfer posted recently, gorgeous. But splashy random variegation, not for me.