Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2/3 ID's Needed

Posted by magreen23 none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 28, 11 at 16:42

Hello everyone

I have two more plants that need identification. I received them in the mail a few weeks back as bare root plants started in cell packs, and they were just about dead when I took them out of the package. They're all looking much better now and I've been able to identify several of them on my own, but there are two I am unfamiliar with.

I've been keeping them on my north facing patio in Savannah, GA. Lately it has been in the mid to high 70's during the day and dropping to the mid to high 50's at night. I brought them in last night to take pictures since it was already dark by the time I got around to it.

A)The following plant I had absolutely no hope for, so I put it in this tiny spare container I had lying around. I plan to repot it this weekend.

The yellowing is recent, in the past week, and I'm not quite sure how this happened. I have heard it can be from over-watering, but I've only been watering once every 8 days, and since the pot is so small I couldn't imagine it staying wet for long. Could this also be from the changing seasons and I need to rehouse the plant inside?

B)This next plant I have 3 of, and they seem to be doing excellent.

In one of the pots of this plant, some wandering jew began to grow and perhaps another kind of plant? This other one has a similar leaf shape and coloring, but its growing in an odd position, more like a trailing plant, but as it grows it seems to be growing upward.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2/3 ID's Needed

The first two pictures look like rubber trees. The first ones looks slightly varigated. Give them a sunny window and water them more often.

o

That last one looks like "Wandering Jew" a Zebrina species.

Nancy

o

Thank you both.

Zackey- they are actually currently outside on a North-facing patio. Is it better to keep them inside, at a window?

Nancy- thanks! I was actually referring to the green leaf in the last pictures. I honestly have no idea how wandering jew started growing in that pot, however! haha. I plan on repotting those soon though :)

o

Im no expert but B looks like a pepperomia

o

I think A and B look like Ficus elastica. I would encourage you to inspect the bottom of the yellowish/spotty leaves to see if there are spider mites. They can be removed by wiping the leaves with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol.

o

I definitely agree the first two are rubber plants/Ficus elastica.
Not sure about the last one. The leaf color/shape sort of reminds me of the immature leaf of a coffee plant but the trailing/floppy habit is all wrong for that.
Where did you get these from? Am I correct in assuming the person who sold or gave them to you had no idea what they had as well? If you had a list of what was supposed to be in the package then it would narrow things down.

o

Thanks again everyone!

Purpleinopp- The one leaf that was yellowing has gotten significantly worse and even browned in several spots. I'm not too sure what to look for when checking for spider mites, but I did see a couple of tiny, raised brown flecks that came off when I wiped the leaf with an alcohol swab. I also wiped the main stem of the plant and the other leaves, too. If it looks like it may be spider mites to you just from that picture, I'm going to assume that's what it is. I looked at several other plants that are being kept with this one, and they seem to be affected too. None have lost any leaves, however. If that's the case, I've got looots of leaves to wipe down!

Summersunshine- I actually purchased these plants through a seller on amazon. It was listed as a "random assortment of houseplants". I received a list of potential plants that I would be getting, but after googling each of them, none of them were even close to being accurate, and I've clearly identified plants I received that weren't even on the list at all. At this point, I'm wondering if somehow the packaging forced this plant to grow all bent and it really is not supposed to be like that at all?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here