Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
attempted to divide stag horn fern, anyone done this?

Posted by rosebuddy z5Ont (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 16:44

I have had a stag horn fern which is about 6 years old growing in soil which is how I bought it. Just got too big for its location and read where I could divide it with a sharp knife or saw. I now have one with the original roots, but the rest of it came apart with no roots showing, only the leaves and the fronds. I now have it in a pot of soil with a weight on the fronds to keep it from tipping over.Will this eventually root into the soil? I know they can be grown on a slab of wood, but would like to keep it in a pot since I have had success with keeping it this way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: attempted to divide stag horn fern, anyone done this?

I assume you mean the Platycerium bifurcatum. They are an epiphyte (and/or lithophyte) so their natural position is on a tree or rock face. Under the nest leaves there is a rhizome or stem which branches and new plants form at the end of each branch. Each of the sections should have come apart with part of the stem and roots. It's usually quite an easy process and the way most people divide their plants when they get large. The main thing is to keep them moist/humid until they re-establish themselves.

Just earlier this year I bought 2 potted and the roots completely filled the pots. Because I wanted them mounted I had to cut away most of the roots. About 6 months later they're still going reasonably well. They'll really enjoy it when our wet season begins again (soon).

o
RE: attempted to divide stag horn fern, anyone done this?

There should be roots radiating in-between the shields of the offset plants, unless you cut too close to the top portion of the plants containing mostly new growth.

What kind of soil are you using? I know regular potting soil does not spell good for this plant in cultivation for several reasons as it retains too much moisture, accumulates residual fertilizer, bad soil can also be a host for several insects, pathogens which may harm the delicate rhizomes of this fern...

Mounted, I've never faced many problems associated with my ferns and I could use some vertical spots that needed some greens without pressuring concerns because of too little space available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here