Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning white spots off of leaves, Rubber Ivy

Posted by FlowerPotTipper 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 16:47

Hello Everyone,

I recently have been looking everywhere and finally found a Senecio macroglossus (rubber ivy) at a local nursery. I was sooo excited, but I'm sure most of you know that feeling of when you find that plant that you've been wanting and have been looking everywhere for...so yay for me, one plant off my list of 'must haves' for houseplants. And it's a really nice size one too, it's a really big hanging pot.

Anyways, like all plants that I buy, it's in a secluded spot til I know for sure that it isnt carrying anything bad that can pass onto my other plants...BUT, it has ALOT of those white spots on the leaves that I guess plants get from watering, (either pesticides or minerals?) and it has just too many leaves to clean, but I will take the time if I must to clean it, but what's the best way to clean them??

Also, I keep getting mixed answers on watering, some say to keep plant moist at all times, and others say to keep it on the dry side...I know it's a succulent, so I'm confused on the best way to water this plant since I know your not suppose to keep succulent plants moist at all times...but maybe this plant is not a true succulent??

Any help would be great, thank you.

-Carmen

here's a pic of the 'spots' on the leaves-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning white spots off of leaves, Rubber Ivy

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 18:21

The spots are probably a fungicide left to dry on the leaves before shipping to the retailer, or a combination fungicide/pesticide. Cleaning them probably won't be easy. Try a spritz/rinse of a very mild solution of Castille Peppermint Soap or Murphy's Oil Soap and water first, trying to keep as much soap out of the soil as possible. If that doesn't work, use a face cloth or sponge & add some elbow grease to the soap spritz.

Evenly moist is great, but easier said than done. I'd definitely use a soil based on particles larger than peat or compost, like pine bark, when I next repot, and I'd make it a full repot instead of just a potting-up.

If it was my plant, I'd nurse it through the winter and repot it (June) into the soil I most favor for houseplants, and especially those that don't like wet feet.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here