Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
country_in_the_city

Ponytail palm with bent leaves

Hi, i have a ponytail palm at my office. I water it about every 3 weeks. Noticed that some leaves are starting to bend sharply about 2 inches away from the main stalk. I'm not getting that lovely fountain effect. Otherwise seems very healthy. Any ideas? Should i just prune all of the lower bent leaves?

Comments (15)

• country_in_the_city
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll try to post a picture next week. Yes, I agree it might just be aesthetics, but isn't aesthetics driving most of our decisions about our plants?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Err, kinda but Id never let aesthetics come first. Ive had some plants that many would consider ugly, but I love em!

• Polly381
    11 years ago

aren't there curly leaf ponytail palms? I swear I seen some.

• country_in_the_city
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I may not be clear. Some of the leaves are sharply CREASED and thus have stayed bent. As far as i know, no one has creased the leaves while i wasn't looking.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

oh I see, hmmm certainly strange. At least to me.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Will be good to see some photos to get a better idea.

• summersunlight
    11 years ago

Without having seen the plant, my theory would be that maybe the plant isn't getting strong enough light and therefore the leaves are growing in too weak to support themselves? I could imagine that etiolated foliage might bend like that.
    Just a thought. What kind of light is it getting?

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Summer, that could be, I believe they have full sun or bright light requirements

• country_in_the_city
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the bent leaves are in the middle layer. it is my office plant and it may need more light. I've had it for close to two years. I did a lot of research before selecting a ponytail palm and thought that it could thrive in an office environment.

• elichka
    11 years ago

is it glued rocks on top or you potted in bonsai pot yourself? Glued rocks are bad for the plant, you don't know the state of the roots.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Are we sure this is ponytail palm? Looks a little like Pregnant Onion to me (Ornithogalum)

• lenle
    11 years ago

Larry - I'm almost sure this is a PT. It looks like a couple I have. :)

Country - Your PT might be better off if it was put into a hanging pot or somehow elevated so there's a bit of clearance between the ends of the leaves and whatever you have it sitting on. I think the crimping in the leaf might be due to new growth pushing out, and the leaf pressing against the desk/table. It can't go through it, so it's bending at the weakest point.

Jeni

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Polly, you're right. While working at HD, one 5-6' long-very curly leaf PT was shipped to our store..It was the second prettiest PT I'd seen. 40.00. If I had more room, it would have moved in w/us. :)

Country..PT's are full-sun lovers, but I doubt your PT is without light.
    When foliage grows 'x' long, leaves start to bend..bend isn't the correct word..When you first described your PT, I thought the leaves were lying down, or creased in the center.

Your PT looks great to me.

Larry...Pregnant Onions foliage is thicker than PT's.

{{gwi:108716}}

{{gwi:108717}}

Country has a B. Pony Tail. Toni

• country_in_the_city
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks! I'll try to find a different spot to give the leaves room to hang down more. and no, the rocks aren't glued down in the pot.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES