Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlarry_gw

I started a blog!

greenlarry
11 years ago

Dunno why I took so long to be honest...

Let me know what you think!

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenlarry's World

Comments (27)

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Ok this is the second time I am posting so if the other one shows up, I apologize.
    Larry great Blog, good luck with it.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Polly! You having problems posting? I only see one reply by you.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

yes the first time I posted my response it didnt post. Maybe I didnt hit submit

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Looks good, although a bit wide for the computer screen. What screen size have you set it up for?

Just a bit on your first topic, this is a photo of Chamaedorea metallica, over 2 metres tall. The frond size stays much the same as when small. But the colour of the fronds even when small is that same very dark, which gives it its name "metallica".

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks tropic, always love to see plants in the wild!
    As for screen size, err it was set up on my laptop, standard screen size I guess. I can adjust it easily tho.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

That photo was taken in the Palmetum in Townsville, Queensland. They're native to central/south America. But it shows the colour the fronds should be.

The screen size on my laptop is set to 1024 x 768. Yours must be set to 1280 x 768. See if you get any other comments about it. I don't know what the "average" screen resolution is for computers these days.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

1280 sounds about right for my laptop.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

greenlarry

Many different interests...how do you find time to post to so many blogs?...my day has only 24 hours, lol

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Great start! Look forward to future entries. Your story of storm loss is similar to that of grabmebymyhandle, posted in Aroid forum.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rina, I know, i wonder how I find the time myself to be honest. But I cant help myself- most people collect things, I collect hobbies! Its the Asperger's in me...

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Larry, nothing wrong with that! just admire that you can manage.
    I have few hobbies beside plants too (impossible for me to only have one!)...and often tempted to take up something new/interesting.
    How about your children - you mentined they are young. Too young to share any of your hobbies?

Rina

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rina, well katie is 8 and she has developed an interest in astronomy, like me! She might be getting a telescope and binoculars for christmas- I believevin feeding their enthusiasm! She cant wait till the dark nights so she can see some stars before bedtime!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Larry;

My 9yr old grandson got a telescope last Christmas from his uncle (my son who is also interested in astronomy), even has 'Stellarium' on his computer to show to his little sister (4yr old)...

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry, how do I sign in your blog? Toni

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, I believe you can sign in via google if you have a google email or google +
    I think there's other ways too.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Larry, yep, I have a Google account, now to remember the password..

You're a very good-looking, guy Larry, but those SPIDERS, must go..lol.. Toni

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol, where I go, my spiders go. Love me love my spider as the song goes ;)

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

Looks good - I like it. Altho.......those spiders - *shudder*.....ugh, I shouldn't have looked. Not a spider fan, especially.

Oh, and your dog is a cutie. I have four dogs myself.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah you have been visiting my other blogs! The spiders is a hobby of mine- I dont keep those as pets, I just photograph ones I spot. I do have 4 tarantulas tho...

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Had a look at your Spiders Amongst Us blog, loved the photo of the little Salticid Jumper. They've been a favourite of mine since I was a little kid. There's supposed to be over 5000 species of them. Had one on the computer screen one day showing an interest in the cursor. So I moved it around and the spider kept chasing it. Kept it up for ages. But I teased it by moving the cursor close and then away when the spider "attacked". I've got a lot of spider photos but only occasionally post some on the herps forum I'm on.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea salticids are cool. One of the few groups of spiders that can see us and actually hunt doen their prey. Most spiders are practically blind.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Huntsman are much the same, except on a different size scale, LOL.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Huntsmen are really cool! Pity we dont get them here

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Are these spiders poisonous? Not that it matters, because if one walked on my computer screen, it'd be meeting its ancestors. lol.

Sorry, not a spider/centipede/milipede person..I won't hurt a butterfly, lightning bug, lady bug, or worm, but spiders and ants have to go! YUCK...

I'm sure Elkay knows where I'm coming from, right Elkay? lol

Tropic, do all C. Metallica's grow alike? Similar to your photo? Foliage/frond coloring is beautiful. Toni

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, its venomous, not poisonous, an yes, all spiders are venomous. I really can't understand the revulsion people hav e towards certain insects, or is it the cute factor? Ladybirds are good but ants are bad, butterflies are good but moths must go, I dont get it. Without these guys we'd be in a real mess!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Toni, C. metallica gets its name from the colour of its fronds, that's the normal colour in that photo.

About spiders, I'm with Larry. And that's despite having been bitten by one about 10 years ago and spending a week in hospital. It can happen.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea from what Ive gleaned online C.metallica gets that dark bluish colour best when grown in semi shade. Mines on a N facing windowsill at the moment, some sun in the morning. Mighg have to change that!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath