Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

What is it really (the old pothos/philodendron confusion)

kwie2011
9 years ago

Despite the label, I'm reasonably sure this isn't Pothos scindapsis, or Scindapsis or Pothos or Epipremnum anything. It looks a lot like Philodendron oxycardium, but variegated. Anyone know what it really is (currently).

Comments (10)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Definitely not labeled right. Philodendron 'Brasil' or 'Brazil' (depends on which website you look at) is what you have there.

Planto

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Planto. I might've never have found that on my own. (Ironic that Exotic Angel has such a thorough site, but only labels their plants for stores as "tropical foliage" or "succulent").

That same label was on all the Scindapsis pictus in the nursery also, and I couldn't help but notice the picture on the plant's label is of Epipremnum aureum. No wonder people get so confused! Thanks for your help, Planto!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Although it's just another cultivar lumped under the name of hederaceum these days,I remember seeing it in a book years ago under the name "philodendron scandens oxicardium mediopicta".

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Kwie,
    Oh that's sad indeed. Our EA plants come with proper labels (of which, most are IDed correctly). It should be on EA's website if you look up 'Brazil.' Not that it really has any specific information regarding it, unfortunately.

Jon,
    That's my something new learned for today!

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Hi Beth!

Which came as news to you,..the old name or the new?

By the way,even with it's velvety texture,Philodendron micans is now considered just another hederaceum.

Go figure. lol

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now I have more questions.

1) is hederaceum a species name? A quick look online brought up "Philodendron hederaceum." So am I understanding that all these plants that I thought were separate natural species are really subspecies, cultivars, mutations, hybrids and so forth? Or is "hederaceum" used nonscientifically to describe many closely related plants of different species?

2. Does "hederaceum" sound like "header" coincidentally, cuz, uh, I don't think any of these are what they call "self-heading," are they?

• mdahms1979
    9 years ago

Remember that species names are in Latin or sometimes Greek. Hederaceum means Ivy like, Hedera being the genus name for Ivy. This Philodendron was named for its similarity to Ivy and it's climbing growth habit.

Mike

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Philodendron is a genus with a lot of confusion, largely because of the heteroblastic growth of some vines, but there are thought to be about 900 species.

If I've been schooled correctly, regular heart-leaf vine is P. hederaceum var. oxycardium. Your plant pictured above would be most properly labeled P. hederaceum var. oxycardium 'Brazil' (or 'Brasil', both spellings are accepted.)

• paul_
    9 years ago

Epipremnum vs Philodendron ... how to tell them apart:

There was a good explanation on this topic on PATSP some time back. See the link below if interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: From PATSP

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County