Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new blog entry, a very odd plant!

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 16:59

Fancy having a really weird plant in your garden?

Here is a link that might be useful: One weird and amazing plant!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new blog entry, a very odd plant!

No, because it would rapidly die most of the year here. That one takes very specialized care. The most successful growers I knew used a two-pot system, a tall one holding the plant and a squat one, at the bottom of the pot holding the plant, the ends of the roots tickling the bottom pot.

o

Yea, I wasnt seriously suggesting one tries growing a Welwitschia at home! Just a sly hint at the difficulties involved in propagating this cool plant.

o

I thought maybe I'd seen, well not it all, a good enough bit but I've never seen one of those before! Very odd...

Planto

o

Larry, that IS one unusual succulent..
Did you see the flowers? Amazing.

o

Well.......
Its about 18mo old from seed.

o

Oh Johnson, you have one! Coo wul!

o

John, what are your plans when it's larger? Did you read the article Larry posted?

Wonder how big/old it has to be before blooming???

o

Well if it does flower there wont be any seeds unless you have a second plant of the opposite sex. Makes a cool plant to have tho!

o

I read about this a couple of years ago, and when some seed was available I thought I would try it out. I've seen it grown in a clay sewer tile standing on end to accommodate the long tap root--but I have also read that its not necessary---I guess I'll see. As for the fungus, it was a problem --I soaked the seed overnight in Benomyl on this last one and it did fine though. I think I read somewhere that with excellent growing conditions it could flower in 2yrs or so.
Mike

o

Miles has seedlings for sale, or at least did a few weeks ago. I was tempted but didn't go for it.

o

thanks for posting larry, I enjoyed reading about it. I bet it provides shelter for some animals too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here