I'm wanting to bring in my two asparagus ferns, however, I

hate that they shed so much. Are there any tips on correcting

this from happening so often?

Thanks!

Margaret

Comments (8)

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Margaret. Do you have a cool room? If you do, overwinter your AF there.. The cooler the better.
    Cool is between 50-65F. Anything warmer than 65 is pushing it.
    A weekly shower, and daily spray will help some, but keeping out of a hot, dry room is a sure bet. Toni

• pearlgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can do that! Thanks, Toni.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

PG - there are actually several plants referred to commonly as asparagus fern. I over-winter an A. plumosa on the kitchen table in front of both a south and west window, where they do very well - no spoiled foliage at all.

This is A. Plumosa
    {{gwi:3233}}

here, too
    {{gwi:3232}}

but the one I over-winter indoors after a summer outdoors is this plant, seen here just before being cut back
    {{gwi:2042}}

to this
    {{gwi:5470}}

I've emptied all but one of my outdoor containers that has plumosa in it. If you don't have plumosa and would like one. Let me know and I'll send. I have at least a couple more on the compost pile that I could easily salvage, if anyone else would like one.

Al

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Al's right, there are several types of Asparagus Ferns, the most commonly sold is Asparagus 'Sprengeri.'
    In my experience, keeping Aspargus cooler prevents brown fronds.
    When I kept my Asparagus hanging in the LR, the needles browned and dried. The LR is the second warmest room in the house. There were needles all over the floor.
    Maybe Al's kitchen is kept cooler since his Plumosa doesn't brown and shed.

Which AF do you have?

Ming:

{{gwi:69259}}

A. Sprengeri

{{gwi:101404}}

Foxtail

{{gwi:69258}}

Plumosis

{{gwi:108801}}

The pics were taken in 2009, they're much larger now. My Plumosia needs work.. It too was in the LR on a table, results brown fronds. Toni

• PRO
    Horticultural Help
    13 years ago

A reduction in light, which typically happens when plants are moved inside for the winter, can cause frond deterioration. Keep yours close to a sunny window.

Be sure to keep the soil moist. Once the heat comes on, evaporation and dry air will cause the soil to dry more quickly.

Spider mites are always a potential problem for theses ferns when the air is warm and dry. Check for them regularly.

• deburn
    13 years ago

Al, I would like a plumosa cutting, if you still have one left!

• deburn
    13 years ago

Al, got your package today. I was just expecting the plumosa which would have been nice enough, but I was very pleasantly surprised by all the other goodies! Looks like I'm going to have a busy weekend :-)

Thank you so much and I hope to be able to do the same down the line

It was great speaking with you as well!
    deburn

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

You're welcome. I enjoyed our visit as well, Bern. It was a very pleasant chat - you're a friendly cat.

Grow them well & soon you can divide/propagate and just 'pay it forward'. ;o)

I had 5 of the ferns (A plumosa) on the compost pile & all were in good shape. All are spoken for but the one remaining, which, since I'd offered it to Margaret, I was holding on to. I'll wait a day or two to see if she replies, then it's up for grabs. Margaret?

Al

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County