Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philodendron Identification!

Posted by joeturbo26 none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 17:26

Hello all! While at home depot today, amidst all the plant clutter, this BIG guy, with leaves almost the size of a banana tree, popped out at me!

I mean it looks like a really red "red emerald", which I usually see them as green lol... but its really the size of this one, and the development of what appears to be aroid roots that are shocking and stumping the heck out of me!!

what do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: What kind of Philo am I?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philodendron Identification!

Joe..Your Philo is really nice and very healthy.

Is the leaf on the left side dark...black/purple?

It could be P. 'Black Cardinal,' but I'm not 100% certain.

Are the leaves firmer than other Philos?

Why not Google, P. Black Cardinal, and P. Prince of Orange.
Leaves are too dark for Moon Light, which have golden foliage.

A new Prince of Orange leaf is orange, then turns green when mature. A Blck Cardinal's new leaf ir Red/black.

The problem with Googling plant pics online is, they post plants with a lot of coloring. Grown is perfect environment, more than likely the plant will have more than 10 orange or red/black, colored leaves. lol.
Growing indoors, chances are a plant might have a handful.

One other thing. Young specimens grow upright. As they mature, they vine. (Not all Philos.) Some start vining at a young age, others when Philos are 1' or taller.

Whichever species, your Philo is doing fantastic. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here