Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saturn1956

Is trimming a possibility??

saturn1956
9 years ago

My small "tree" is about to reach the ceiling in the pic shown. Do not know my options can these Dracaena marginata be trimmed? It only has about 2" before hitting the ceiling

Saturn

Comments (10)

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Many many years ago I air layered one with good results. In those days I used to use rooting hormone powder so that stuff was probably involved.

Of course with air layering versus trimming, you keep different parts!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I've rooted them in water without any trouble...I imagine even very large cuttings would work that way.

Here's an upright view of your pic. :)

• saturn1956
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just snapped another portion off trying to reform can I replant in potting soil????

• saturn1956
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So just cutting a portion of the very top is not the way to prune this plant??

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Yes you could put the cutting in the soil if you wanted,it's possible that it might work that way,but personally,I'm partial to watching the roots as they grow...thus the water method. Main thing is just to make sure the water doesn't go bad. It's good to change it out occasionally...but you likely know this already. :)

Nipping the tips will certainly slow the growth a touch,but the new growth could focus just behind(or at least closer to) the ends,causing more and more weight over time on the trunk below. If the trunk can withstand the load or grows thicker fast enough to accommodate it all,it might look neat,who knows? If it were mine though,I'd likely chop it harder than that and root that tallest piece as one whole ready to go tree once it's roots get mature enough to train to soil.
    After the hardened set has adjusted to potted life,it would then be potted back in with the mother plant...again...that's what I'd do with it if it were mine.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

"I'd likely chop it harder than that and root that tallest piece as one whole ready to go tree once it's roots get mature enough to train to soil."

I agree except that I stick the cuttings right in a pot.

The last cutting I took of one of these trees was about 3 feet long/tall. It's shown below, the trunk goes all the way to the bottom of the pot. (It's sticking sideways out of the pot on purpose so I can lean it back toward the pot, giving the trunk an interesting bend.)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Semi-cascade anyone? Imagine that in ten years if kept to that form.

Every time I stick a cutting in a pot(without a humidity trap)I feel like I'm taking a big risk at winding up with a dried up something by the time I'd expect new growth to prove otherwise. When I use water,it's so that I can have the satisfaction of watching the roots develop. It's more steps from there and a pita but when I have doubts,as was the case in my rubber tree truncheons,it's worth the extra effort.
    I also have a history of making things unnecessarily difficult on myself. ;)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Late in the season to be pruning, as pruning now tends to encourage long, lanky, spindly growth. Summer is prime time to prune and get compact, bushy growth.

These plants take a hard pruning very well. Prune down the trunk to the point where you want the first branching to occur, and then keep pruning the branches that emerge for a fantastic, bushy canopy.

Cuttings root exceptionally well in a good, porous medium.

Josh

• paul_
    9 years ago

Yes, you can indeed just stick a cutting in the soil to root. I have one of those potted plant collections (was a potted plant arrangement from my grandmother's funeral a number of years ago). The Dracaena in the pot were getting too tall & gangly. So I wacked them all down to stumps of varying heights -- ranging from about 1-2ft tall -- and simply stuck all the tops back into the pot. If I recall correctly, I had a least 6 such cuttings. While it did take a while for the cuttings to start growing (which indicates they successfully rooted), I don't think I had a single one fail to root.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

When using a humidity trap,I've no reservations to just sticking cuttings in soil and letting 'em go.

When rooting in water,I'm just being control freaky.

Josh is right about this not being the appropriate time of year to do any real chopping. I've broken this rule many times in the past without much problem,but I do know that things work out best for the plant in question when the procedure is undertaken during the growing season.

About this time of year I get bored and tend to take it out on hibernating plants. lol

When I read about all the things I could/should be doing to result in the full genetic potential of one or more of my plants,I have to ask the question...do I really WANT them to reach their full potential??? If that were to happen,there wouldn't be room in my apartment to so much as move an inch! lol

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH