Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haydenrose_gw

Heartleaf Philodendron--how to get larger leaves?

haydenrose
10 years ago

Hi all,

I have a question about heartleaf philondendron. I have two cultivars, Brasil and Lemon-Lime or Neon (or whatever they call the chartreuse colored one these days, I've seen lots of different names out there). On both plants, but especially the Neon, the new growth comes in much smaller than the original growth. Both plants are in nice bright eastern exposures, in a very well-lit porch/plant room. The growth is dense and pretty, and the plants look nice overall, I just am wondering what I can do to get bigger leaves. I am thinking of using a trellis and getting them to climb--would that help? I never have this problem with my Pothos, but with the Philodendron it keeps happening....

Thanks for any information you can give!

Hayden

Comments (20)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Hayden,

Leaves are supposed to grow larger when grown on a pole.

What about pot size? Are your Philos root-bound? Toni

• haydenrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Toni,

Thanks for your reply! I actually think I over-potted both of these plants when I bought them about a year ago. I was new to plants at that point...they came in 6 inch pots and I put them into deep 8 or 10 inch pots. But I was thinking checking on the roots might be a good idea. I also thought maybe the pots are too deep for their roots which I think are on the shallow side?

Hayden

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

There's a discussion about vines here that may contain some interesting info for you. The 'neon' - is that actually a Pothos (Epipremnum?)

If you put a pic of your plants here, I'm sure you'll get some opinions about what to do with them. Maybe one will sound good to you.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Hayden,

Some members here prefer over-potting, but I'm a firm believer in potting in a container 1-2" larger than the rootball.

IMO, tropicals halt growth when over-potted. But, it's only my opinion. :)

Can't hurt to check roots. See what they look like, and the amount of space.

Purp, are you certain 'Neon' or yellow leaves are Pothos? If you Google or go to Botanical sites, some yellows are called Pothos while others are Philos???

• lme5573
    10 years ago

Regarding light green or yellow Pothos or Philo - I believe there is a Lemon Lime Philodendron and a Neon Pothos. I got a cutting from Ebay in September, and it is light green and is a Pothos. I have seen a bright yellow/green Philo (in person) in my local nursery. So I'm pretty sure there are two yellow/green leaved vining plants out there - one is Pothos and the other is Philo. Just my two cents.

• haydenrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all,

Thanks for your input! Yep, it's definitely a Philo-Funnily enough, it was mislabeled as Pothos by Lowe's...then they got the real Pothos in the next week and it was clearly a totally different plant! Typical. This link has a great explanation of the differences, fyi--I love this guy's blog.

http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/2009/03/epipremnum-or-philodendron.html

Anyway, here is a pic-a closeup to show the different sizes...does anyone know how to upload more than pic at a time?

• haydenrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of the whole plant...

10 years ago

Beautiful bunch'o'vines, definitely Philodendron. There are many growth tips there. You could add some kind of trellis to the pot or move it to a hanging pot.

"Purp, are you certain 'Neon' or yellow leaves are Pothos? If you Google or go to Botanical sites, some yellows are called Pothos while others are Philos???"

Toni, I've not heard of a Philo called 'Neon' but there is definitely a Pothos cultivar by that name. If one's plant says 'Neon' on the label, it's probably Pothos. I wasn't commenting about the color of the leaves, just the name 'Neon.'

• haydenrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Purple,

Thanks, I love this plant!! That's why I've been so disappointed that all the new leaves are tiny, especially because it does grow really fast in its current location. I think I am definitely going to try a trellis, since I've read that Philos like to climb, and that can make the leaves larger.

I wonder if this happens more with cultivars like "Brasil" and "Lemon-Lime" (the one I have pictured) as opposed to the regular old dark green cultivar?

• dsws
    10 years ago

I've never really understood the idea of over-potting. Why would a plant object to having lots of space for its roots?

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

it's not that the plant minds more space - but it's easier to overwater it, while it has not grown new roots yet - the unused soil volume will take much longer to dry out and then roots might be too wet and rot.
    also the soil might stay cooler in a bigger pot - and plant might not like that. cool+wet = mildew/rot/fungus.

• rooftopbklyn (zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Are you feeding it at all? (fertilizer).

Leaves of most plants get bigger leaves when they are somewhat light starved. I am not familiar with your cultivar, but some philodendrons don't require large amounts of light.

My dark green heart leaf philodendron's leaves do get bigger as they age, up to a point.

Daniel

• Ferdinan USDA zone 9
    6 years ago

I been thinking about the larger leaves thing.

These plants are ment to crawl on the ground or certain trees,rooting along the way..So as long as a pole is well watered it just might get larger leaves.

I'm trying different things,I'll let you know.

Happy gardening!

• Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago

I have read that the leaves are larger when the plant climbs a pole, and that the moss poles give it the best support as it can retain a bit of water for the vine to enjoy. I love your plant, Hayden. I have a little Arrowhead/Syngonium that is going to get a moss pole as soon as I can get one. This will be fun. Great thread all.

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Try a little less light. If the light is very bright, the plant has no need for larger leaves.

This is the biggest leaf I've seen my plant(s) form.

• Ferdinan USDA zone 9
    6 years ago

Hi,

It don't help if you want a hanging plant.

I feed and I've not produced a leaf that size. Congrats!

• David Drenning
    4 years ago

An

• lseeber
    3 years ago

check out "Planterina" on youtube . She has got some magnificent pothos and philos. They do grow bigger leaves when poled for upright growth. I had a heartleaf philo doing really well until I put it in a larger pot. Ever since, it barely hangs on, tiny leaves and has really shrunk. I'm about to do some new stuff with it to try to save it and make it thrive.

• Sonia Garcia
    3 years ago

Is my understanding that when vines grow up, the leaves grow bigger than when the vines grow down. So a poll to make it grow up will be a good idea.