Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Watering Gritty Mix

kwie2011
9 years ago

I've recently moved some plants into gritty mix, but I feel like the mix is drying very fast. How often do those of you with tropical plants in gritty mix need to water them? How do you determine when they need water?

I've tried the bamboo skewer test, and i just dont think it works well for gritty mix. Also, you can't tell by weight with gritty mix. One plant in particular, in quite a large pot, seems too dry to me. Two days after I water it, I can't feel any wetness with my index finger dunked all the way in the mix.

I'm in cool, rainy, western Oregon, and I haven't turned on any heat yet. It's damp and about 60 degrees inside. The air isn't dry enough to be a problem, and this plant isn't sucking up a tremendous amount of water because I only transplanted and up-potted it from a 3" pot of soil to an 7" pot of grit maybe a week ago. I think I just can't tell when it needs water.

I even filled a 3" pot with straight Turface substitute (DM for oil spills) , soaked it, then let it sit a couple of days. The top went from tan to white as it dried, but when I plunged a finger into it, I couldn't feel any wetness even in the particles that were still wet (indicating they retained some water).

So, fellow grit-growers, help me out here. How do you know when to water? I really don't have time to dunk 50 plants a day in a water bucket just to be sure they get enough.

Comments (14)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Kwie,
    Unfortunately, that's the pro and con of the gritty mix. I think some folks grow tropicals in the 5:1:1 mix for that reason (since most tropicals like to stay moist longer than say a cactus in the gritty mix). Not that this helps, but just some information.

Planto

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there is no reason.. a plant cant take some minor drooping ...

do not water until it droops... note how many days ... then water... ergo.. new schedule ... based on new media ...

you THINK its dry.. but you give no indication the plant thinks so .. eh ...

so maybe its you.. not the mix ...

ken

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, guys.

It did wilt, Ken. It's in a different post. I disagree about wilting being ok. The point of growing in grit is for my plants to reach full potential. If I let them droop every time between waterings, growth will be slowed, and they won't be at their full potential. I won't worry about occasional minor wilt, but I don't want it to happen regularly.

Planto, there are certainly some drawbacks with this mix. I'm giving it some time so I can adjust to it, but I'm still undecided. I would like to try the 5:1:1. I have some very fast growers that need regular re-potting anyway. I'm also messing with some other media.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Kwie,
    I think Ken meant to allow it to droop once, water it, and see how many days go by before it droops again (to give you an idea on how many days between waterings).

However, I will respectfully disagree with Ken in that you can't really go by a schedule, as it will vary depending on lighting, temperature, and the time of the year (Seasons; most folks water less in Winter with less light, for example).

I believe that you have to find what works for you, Kwie. I don't use the gritty mix or the 5:1:1 mix, but I like what I see with what I use. However, I make it work. It may not work for the next person. Purpleinopp makes her own mix and that works for her. In the end, it may take some time, but you will figure out what works best for you. :)

Again, I aplogize as this really doesn't answer your question. Hopefully Al (tapla) will chime in.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 20:21

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

I grow under lights in winter, and bright light increases water usage by the plant. I DO water on a schedule with no ill effects at all, and I water every 4 days. Because my focus is on bonsai, all my plants are in smaller pots than the average grower might use, so realistically, you would be watering plants in a well-made gritty mix every 3-7 days, depending on cultural influences and whether the plant is actively growing.

You CAN water plants in the gritty mix on a realistic schedule because the soil supports very little or no perched water, which is the only reason the advice you should never water on a schedule. Eliminating the reason for the advice invalidates it for that application.

For recent repots, you need to water as often as needed to ensure the soil remains moist surrounding the root mass. After roots have colonized the entire soil mass, you should be able to establish a 3-5 day rhythm.

Waiting for a plant to exhibit symptoms of drought stress is an excellent way to ensure limitations related to that form of stress. Under-watering is probably preferable to over-watering, but neither are desirable choices. If the gritty mix is screened properly, it's pretty difficult to over-water unless you work at it.

I use a little Dramm 2L water ran retrofit with a removable caulking nozzle.
    {{gwi:22144}}
    This one has a nozzle I heated so I could put a crook in it, but I almost always use a straight one - it's easier to maneuver it between plants and water the plants in the middle of my indoor 4x8 growing benches. You can cut the nozzle as fine as you like so the water comes out slowly, that way you can cover the entire soil surface so you're watering evenly. It's a good way to accurately put water where you want it.

Al

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How much water is coming out of your pots as you water, Al? Mine aren't bonsai trees, so they're probably a bit harder to water. Many are closely-packed rosettes of succulents. I've had trouble keeping the rosettes from getting wet while trying to cover the grit. Wet rosettes led to leaf drop - not from being over-watered, but because I have to water so frequently that spaces between leaves were staying wet. To eliminate that issue, I'm setting my pots in a pan until the water soakes up to the top. Dunking this many pots is a chore, and I can't spill water because all my plants are in my living room, or on a balcony thar leaks onto the downstairs neighbor. Pouring in from the top, as I had done it, meant way too much water for a drip tray to hold. Are you applying that much less water than I am, or how do you deal with all the runoff? I'm guessing you have drainage.

I see, Planto. Thanks. Sorry I misunderstood you, Ken.

I really don't want to have to water daily. It is dangerous in a rented apartment where I'm liable for any damage or stains. Watering is messy. Pots dribble, buckets spill, drain trays overflow, etc. I have to find a better way.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Kwie,
    It's okay, it happens. :) I tend to read too fast and misread things myself.

I apologize that I gave you bad information, as apparently you can water on a schedule with the gritty mix (with most other mixes, it's not advised). I don't have personal experience with the gritty mix and I shouldn't have spoke for Al regarding that.

That being said, Ken was correct regarding watering on a schedule (with respects to using the gritty mix. I still respectfully disagree on that practice with other potting mixes :P ).

Planto

• jrl1265
    9 years ago

I also live in W. Oregon and have citrus, cactus, orchids, and begonias in the gritty mix under lights. I use a skewer to check to see when things need watering and it works fine. i keep the skewer in the soil for at least an half hour to make sure the stick gets wet or not. I find that I only water once a week in the gritty mix. Unlike other soils you can water a day before you think they may need to be watered :). The only reason i even check to see if my plants need to be watered is so I don't waste my fertilizer. Good growing, Jack

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No need to apologize, Planto. You give some good advice - everyone needs to find what works for them. I'm still looking, but I really WANT gritty mix to work for me. It might not be the best for all my plants though.

Al, Jack, and other grit growers:

With your schedules, how do you deal with plants in very different pot sizes, or needing very different amounts of water? Do you just water everything on the shortest interval?

I have the small Draceana in an 8" pot that apparently needs almost daily water right now; a giant Sansevieria and large Aeonium each in 3-gal pots that, I THINK, don't need such frequent watering; some Sansevieria, pothos, spider plants, Aloes, and Philodendrons in 3"-4" pots that all have different water needs, and mixed succulents in small group pots. How do you deal with such different water needs? Just water everything every 2 days since that seems to be my shortest interval, or do you mark some as 2-day intervals and others as 4- or 6-day intervals? Succulents don't wilt, so do I just guess at these?

One concern I have is that some plants that were growing rapidly in soil, have slowed drastically since being moved to grit in the same size pots. I don't know if it's just from being disturbed, or if they aren't getting enough water, or if they aren't getting enough fertilizer. An Epipremnum aureum purchased at the same size, and time in July as a Philodendron oxycardium, but moved from soil to grit, is now just 1/3 to 1/4 the size of the philodendron. There are too many variables to blame the grit, but normally these plants grow similarly, and if anything, Epipremnum grows faster. It makes me think something about the plants in grit isn't ideal. But what?

How do you dilute your Foliage Pro, Al? I'm using the recommended strength for fertilizing with every watering.

• jrl1265
    9 years ago

My begonia and citrus are in glazed pots and stay moist for 5-6 days easily. What makes you think your gritty dries so fast? My orchids are in clear plastic pots with holes drilled all over for lots of air movement and they go 4-5 days before going dry ( I water these twice a week so I never let them dry). I do pour lots of water through my soil and I let them soak for some time so that could be why my gritty stays wet longer. I have a small collection and use buckets and pails when I water. Maybe you don't get your gritty wet enough to keep from drying so fast? I wish I could be better help. Good growing, Jack

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're quite a lot of help, Jack. Thanks. I think I'm watering like you do. I dunk my pots in a bucket of water deep enough for the water to come through the bottom up to the soil surface. I'm relatively sure it's long enough for the DE to soak up the water.

I am suspicious some plants might be too dry because:
    1. The grit feels and looks dry in some
    2. Some aren't growing as fast in grit as they did in soil
    3. I moved a Draceana to a pot about 5 times larger than the one it was in with soil, but about 2 weeks later, just 3 or 4 days after being watered, it wilted.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't know why, but I can't get any of your photos to appear, Al, even when I go to Photobucket, but I can see the waterer on the Amazon link, and I think I can imagine how the caulk nozzle is affixed. I'll see if I can come up with something. Maybe for the smaller pots a squirt bottle will do.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Keiw,

Maybe this will help ?

Laura