Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rubber tree too wide

Posted by Gerri521 none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 18:06

I inherited a rubber tree from my mother. The tree is quite wide and most stems have no leaves on bottom two-thirds. What can be done to help manage growth and improve leaf growth along bottom of stems? Thanks for any advice.h

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rubber tree too wide

You can always air layer the plant...this is a very common way of rejuvenating leggy Ficus elasticas...

Christopher

o

Gerri, it would be much easier for us to help you if we had good images. We also need to know more about the potting medium, your fertilization routine, and the amount of light the plant receives on a daily basis.

These plants can remain pretty compact and full if grown in enough light, for example.

o

Edited to remove duplicate.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 20:40

o

Low light is one of the main causes of spindly growth and lack of leaves lower down on the plant. They will take full sun, but you can't move them suddenly from shade to full sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here