Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery plant and care advice

Posted by blooms2c 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 18:11

This is my mystery plant. I've had it about 10 years and it has grown. I've repotted it twice. I would like to know what it is. I recently realized I wasn't watering enough and I think I need to move to a location with more light. It tends to shed in the winter and can make a mess, but maybe I'm causing the shedding. I just watered it because it is drooping, but I just watered it a couple of days ago. You can see by the pictures, the new leaves are really big and dark green, but then they become varigated and smaller. It is another one of my favorite plants, just not sure exactly what it wants, since I don't know what it is. I've managed to keep it alive for 10 years, so guess I'm doing something right.

Any ideas what it is?
Mystery plant

New leaves are dark green

Leaves then become varigated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery plant and care advice

Some kind of Pedilanthus. Pedilanthus tithymaloides probably?

o

Thank you, yes, I looked that up on line and it is the same plant. I appreciate it very much. Now maybe I will have some guidelines to follow with this plant.
Again, thank you!

o
These bloom?

I looked up the Pedilanthus tithymaloides and what I read, it says these plants bloom. Does anyone know if the variety I'm showing does? I've had the plant for years and my sister has also, but we've never seen a bloom.

o

They bloom, and yours should to, in theory, although I have no idea how to finagle them into doing so. They're supposed to get neat flowers too.

Also they're sort of euphorbias so standard warning about the sap applies. The genus might even be part of Euphorbia now. I'm not honestly sure.

Mine is braided around some plastic thing that I can't get out of it and now it's growing at weird angles. I've decided to give up on controlling it an just let it do whatever.

Yours is really nice and full. Also there are interesting other cultivars of this, by the way.

o

If it is the same variety of Pedilanthus tithymaloides as my small plant, the leaves will turn a nice pink if put near a sunny window.
Older plants may bloom, but need a period of cool temperatures to promote bud formation.

Christopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here