Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polly381

clay pots

Polly381
11 years ago

Hubby and I were at a flea mkt today and he found some clay pots in a box for 5.00. We bought them and it Turns out there were 30 pots in that box.

They range from 8 in on down. Now I have some pots for starting plants.

Any suggestions as to cleaning them before I use them? Any thing special I should do?

Comments (9)

• sherryinmaine
    11 years ago

good buy!
    Take pots outside, brush off extra dirt with stiff brush.
    Fill bucket with water & bit of dish soap.
    Use the brush or a rag. Then rinse. Let dry.
    Use!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

..... or, soak in a 10% household bleach solution (9 water:1 bleach)for an hour or so. Let dry. Rinsing or washing out the pots is optional (I do both). Do it in the shade - sunlight inhibits the antimicrobial properties of bleach.

Al

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Boiled water. Thats what i use, no chemicals just boiled water.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow thanks Sherry, Al and Larry. I was curious, I usually use bleach and water. Interesting about the sun inhibiting the antimicrobial properties of bleach. I didnt know that.
    They arent real dirty but I want to make sure there aren't any interlopers in the pots.

• tifflj
    11 years ago

Oh boy. Why do you have to wash out clay pots? Geesh, I have two and I didnt do that. And I want to eventualy pot all plants in clay once they are ready for a repot.

Great question Polly!!! I brought some sun back...its real nice here in PGH today how about where you are?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Because clay pots are more likely to harbour micro bugs, fungi, bacteria eyc, that are hard to get rid of. Clay is porous so, unlike plastic, the surface is 'grippy', so algae and fungi can get a handhold easily.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HI Tiff, thanks for bringing the sunshine,it was a beautiful today. Can we skip winter and go right to spring? LOL
    If my clay pots were new, I wouldnt wash them but I would soak them in water so they absorb it. These were used and I dont know where they were stored or if someone had plants with pests so its always better to be safe then sorry.
    Glad your back, hows your new plant doing? And hows Hubby, ia he over his food poisioning?

• tifflj
    11 years ago

@ Polly. Glad to be back woman! Vegas is not for us. Although the hotel was to die for, Vegas itself is nothing to write home about, in my opinion. We Stayed at the Wynn...the naked prince harry scandel place...
    I didnt get the new plant yet. I told my mom to hold on to it until the new house and till I get a handle on what I already have. I dont want to take on too much at once. I am just starting to get used to what I have and I am getting a care package this week with some new plants. So I have enough to keep me busy for the winter now. Although it is to hard when walking through the store to pass up something eye catching...hubby would kill me if I added anything else right now. HAHA. He loves them all but knows I cant over take the inlaws with plants. My comment is why not. Add some life to the place!@!
    Hubby is doing great now, thank you for asking. Bot he had it bad. I felt awful. I had no idea what to do. It was nice for me only in that because of him being sick we spent the whole afternoon and evening Thursday night in bed. I love it. And the bed was so heavenly, it was just like laying of puffy clouds. omgoodness!

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have had food poisoning a few times. Once you have had it you are more susceptible. Glad hes feeling better.
    Do you have a date for move in?
    Yeah vegas wasnt for us either. We like the green lush woods and the water.