Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

My new Plants!

Lamora
11 years ago

Kinda sad how I got them tho. An old woman passed away either last night or early this morning. She was 84. A good friend of both of ours went in and saved these. She gave them to me. Please forgive the mess of the pics. I wanted to get pics of them before my DH put them up. Too late for the Potho~~ (hope that is right, haven't looked it up yet)

This one I need an ID on, I'm not sure what it is.. can anyone help?

{{gwi:109091}}

and this one I am letting my DH have, he loves it! {{gwi:109093}}

{{gwi:109094}}

And this is a Christmas Cactus? Least that is what she said it was.

{{gwi:109095}}
They all need new soil, but I am going to wait for a bit for them to settle in here first. Different lighting and everything. Besides, I don't have the mats for them all.

But this is what I got from a very well known old woman that was very "needy and demanding". But was a good person. She will be missed..

Marjie

Comments (7)

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

The plant in the first pic looks like a Dracaena Warneckii with a Parlor Palm in the same pot (?). They are pretty easy to grow.

• summersunlight
    11 years ago

Agree that first one looks like Dracaena warnecki - I think the cultivar name is 'Lemon Lime'
    Second pic appears to be a golden pothos that could use some TLC.
    Third pic appears to be a THANKSGIVING cactus (they are often called Christmas cacti, but true Christmas cacti are much less common nowadays and don't have the spiny shape that the Thanksgiving one does).

Sorry to hear that this lady passed on, but if she was a plant lover, I'm sure she'd be happy to know another plant lover inherited her plants.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Nice score, but sorry to hear why.

I wouldn't bother with repotting the Pothos. Just cut everything off and start fresh. It should perk up and grow a lot faster, more vigorously that way. That's how I treat most non-woody creepers if they go into decline, like Philodendron, Tradescantia zebrina, Callisias, Pothos, anything that roots so easily.

I'm famous for pairing incompatible bedfellows but don't think that Drac and parlor palm combo will ever look good. They're both "fat" at the same spot/height, and preventing each others' leaves from going where they want to go, which isn't appealing personally but that's just an opinion. I would separate them when you do repot. These both look like great, healthy plants! Both like very bright light but not much direct sun, maybe early AM and/or late PM.

I don't know anything about the cactus, so I'll just say that's a big 'un!

"Besides, I don't have the mats for them all." What kind of mats do you mean?

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Summer~ thanks for the nice thing you said about her wanting them to go to a plant lover.. I hope I don't fail her. :)

Thanks for the proper name of the first plant. The Cactus, wasn't sure myself, I'm still learning the differences in them-- :) Can't seem to remember how to tell the differences. I can SEE them, but to ID them, I have a hard time. Wish I had started this a life time ago~~I am too old to remember names~~ haha

purple, "Mats"= Material for soil. I have enough for one plant, maybe.. but I just want to make sure I don't run out.

The long potho is just plain green, and belongs to my DH now, I told him he can do what he wants with it, and he just wants to let it grow longer.. (but I will try to talk to him about it~~ wish me luck~~ it does need a lot of TLC) and yes, there are 2 plants in the first pic. Same pot. Those will be seperated. For some reason, it doesn't look good to me like this. But what do I know??

This put my total to 27! If you count the plants that are the same but different pots. I have 3 pots of baby spider plants and things like that. Or do you count just the different kinds of plants? If that is the case, I need a re-count~ lol..

Again, Thanks for the proper name, I won't remember it, but will write it down. lol

Marjie

11 years ago

""Mats"= Material for soil." Ok, cool. I was afraid you were thinking you needed heating mats for these.

For hubby, IME, when Pothos vines become puckered, the roots are already dead and recovery is unlikely without starting new roots. But when I scrolled back up to look again, I'm not sure now if I'm seeing puckering or not. If you don't see it, nevermind. Those little bumps along the stems are aerial roots. That's cool how he's getting bit by the bug!

• Lamora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh purple-- he has ALWAYS had the bug! And he loves pothos just vining out. We had one about 20 yrs ago or so that trailed along the walls of the kitchen, was almost making to a second round when we moved. We gave it to his sister, who cut it up, made a lot of starts out of it.. disappointed him so much, I think he cried.

But he has always wanted plants of his own. But moving like we did, it wasn't good for them, so untill I started last year, it was never brought up. It was HIM that kept the ones we had then alive.. I always ended up killing mine. Funny how things turn around. :)

and no puckering that I can see either. Just lots of bare spots..
    Marjie

11 years ago

Oh, I hadn't realized that. He really does sound like a keeper! Nothing wrong with stringing a Pothos vine around the room if that makes y'all happy. About 6 ft. long is as long as I've managed before succumbing to the urge to mess with it. Glad I'm seeing things about the puckering!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville