Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlarry_gw

Why doesnt my Peperomia flower?

greenlarry
11 years ago

Some may remember me posting about this plant that I bought small a few years ago. I forget the species, but it got big, but never flowered. I know that the flowers are nothing spectacular but I wanted to see em! Anyhow the plant got pale and sick looking so I started it again from a cutting.

Anyone get one to flower?

Comments (17)

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Yours doesn't seem to be the same species as mine, but mine is over running the garden. Flowers prolifically but never noticed any seeding. It's near to impossible to get rid of once it's established. I've got some Piper species (including P. nigrum) and they're far more 'civilised'. Plus you can get pepper from them.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This isnt a Piper, its a Peperomia, totally different plant. Its a tropical succulent.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Right. Piper is pepper..Peperomias are not related.

Larry, are Pep leaves fuzzy or smooth?

Peps have a mind of their own. If yours is the fuzzy type, 'forgot the name,' if it flowers you have the greenest thumb ever. lol.

The smooth leaf P. obtusifolia, should flower given adequate humidity, light and cooler, 'not cold, temps. Toni

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I have 2 peperomias flowering right now, one is a small leaved ripple-leaf peperomia (I don't know it's name) that has one flower at the moment. And then I have a Peperomia Prostrata that's been flowering like crazy all summer and is still going...I don't know what makes it flower. I have all my peperomias in a west window, watering about every 2 weeks or so.

Truthfully, I don't think their 'flowers' are pretty at all, rat-tail looking...but I understand it's still nice to see plants bloom, I guess it lets us know that they're happy.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@hopefullauthor, fuzzy leaves in mine

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Looks on the small side, could be it's just too young to bloom.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

" * Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 5:15

This isnt a Piper, its a Peperomia, totally different plant. Its a tropical succulent."

I didn't say it was a Piper. If you'd read properly you'd have understood.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Pirategirl, its not the original plant, but is a cutting taken from it and started again.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@tropicebreeze, I apologize, but why did you mention Piper plants?

• Doris Cunningham
    6 years ago

I put one in my office on the sill of my north facing window. Water it once in a while. Would have been happy if it lived, never expected it to bloom but it did. I guess it like a the location and being watered only when the soil is very dry.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    6 years ago

Hi, Doris! Is your plant still with us, Larry?

I have about 5 kinds of Peps and they bloom, generally, with maybe the exception of P. orba, so far. I don't think I've seen any blooms from that yet. It looks just like your plant, Larry, but since there are so many Peps, I would hesitate to try to attach a species name from that one pic of yours.

• dbarron
    6 years ago

Well, if it 'got sick', then it wasn't happy...ergo no blooms.

• Laurie (8A)
    6 years ago

I am a serial killer of peps. Really wish I could get their needs down. It is just too inhumane for me to even try one again. Good luck.

• HU-72678106
    5 years ago

Okay guy tell me what this is. I have no idea and I can't find any information on what kind it is. The plant does bloom bring purple flowers. This little guy needs a name!

• Yuri Claro
    5 years ago

I think it is plectranthus prostatus

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    5 years ago

Or perhaps a very etiolated Sedum sieboldii?

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!