Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why doesnt my Peperomia flower?

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 18:29

Some may remember me posting about this plant that I bought small a few years ago. I forget the species, but it got big, but never flowered. I know that the flowers are nothing spectacular but I wanted to see em! Anyhow the plant got pale and sick looking so I started it again from a cutting.
Anyone get one to flower?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why doesnt my Peperomia flower?

Yours doesn't seem to be the same species as mine, but mine is over running the garden. Flowers prolifically but never noticed any seeding. It's near to impossible to get rid of once it's established. I've got some Piper species (including P. nigrum) and they're far more 'civilised'. Plus you can get pepper from them.

o

This isnt a Piper, its a Peperomia, totally different plant. Its a tropical succulent.

o

Right. Piper is pepper..Peperomias are not related.

Larry, are Pep leaves fuzzy or smooth?

Peps have a mind of their own. If yours is the fuzzy type, 'forgot the name,' if it flowers you have the greenest thumb ever. lol.

The smooth leaf P. obtusifolia, should flower given adequate humidity, light and cooler, 'not cold, temps. Toni

o

I have 2 peperomias flowering right now, one is a small leaved ripple-leaf peperomia (I don't know it's name) that has one flower at the moment. And then I have a Peperomia Prostrata that's been flowering like crazy all summer and is still going...I don't know what makes it flower. I have all my peperomias in a west window, watering about every 2 weeks or so.

Truthfully, I don't think their 'flowers' are pretty at all, rat-tail looking...but I understand it's still nice to see plants bloom, I guess it lets us know that they're happy.

o

@hopefullauthor, fuzzy leaves in mine

o

Looks on the small side, could be it's just too young to bloom.

o

" * Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 5:15

This isnt a Piper, its a Peperomia, totally different plant. Its a tropical succulent."

I didn't say it was a Piper. If you'd read properly you'd have understood.

o

@Pirategirl, its not the original plant, but is a cutting taken from it and started again.

o

@tropicebreeze, I apologize, but why did you mention Piper plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here