Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splatteredwhim

What's wrong with my Calathea?

splatteredwhim
11 years ago

This is a new plant to me. This one leaf is getting this brown soft curled spot, and I don't know why or what to do. It's not crispy, but soft, and it's spreading fast. Is there any saving it?

Comments (13)

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There was supposed to be a picture with it. Let's try this again.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Has it been in direct sunlight? Mine curl up if the sun hits them. They prefer shade.

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It isn't in direct sun, so I don't think that's it. It's only this one leaf (so far) that's turning bad.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hello Whim..

How wet/dry is soil?

Normally, Calatheas acquire crispy leaves..

Although Cals shouldn't dry out to the point soil cracks, soil needs to dry a little between waterings.

If a second leaf browns, why not try giving a little less water?

Also, they cannot tolerate too much heat. Cals don't like icy temps, prefer 60-68F.

Of course, they dote on humidity... Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Have you checked the roots?

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't checked the state of the roots. I'll do that when I get home.

I feel like I'm really careful about not too much water, waiting till it feels dry a bit down into the soil before watering again. Maybe this is still too much.

If it's humidity, what are effective ways to up the humidity without turning my apartment into a swamp?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

To increase humidity you could try putting a saucer under the pot, smaller than a regular saucer, then put the whole lot on a bigger saucer filled with gravel, like a ring. Then add water up to the level of the pot but not enough so the plantcan suck it up. You then have a gravelly moat, a circular pebble tray in effect! That way yoiu can increase humidity without giving more water!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Invest in a small humidifer.

I use 2 humidifers, trays like Larry described, an indoor fountain, daily misting and weekly showering, 'foliage.'

Sometimes I place water in a pot and let it boil until windows are steamed or dh comes home. lol.

You don't have to go as far as I do, however humidity is good for people, pets and plants..much better than an arid environment.

If you have other humidity-loving plants think about adding a humidifer.

BTW, your Calathea is Roseo-Picta..RP's are the fussiest of Caltheas. Toni

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"BTW, your Calathea is Roseo-Picta..RP's are the fussiest of Caltheas."

D'oh! That's what I get for shopping solely with my eyes.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

LOL, think most of us end up with plants by sight. Heck, they're staring us in the face! How do we say no? lol.

• slickrick2003
    11 years ago

In the zone your in its .it may be the sun or dry era try putting it in shady era where the sun doesn't hit them direct , just a little bit of direct sun will cause the leafs to curl and burn and try misty them ones a day and you will see a change in them, it's all I grow at home calathea Rosepicta. Good luck hope this helps.

• slickrick2003
    11 years ago

In the zone your in its .it may be the sun or dry era try putting it in shady era where the sun doesn't hit them direct , just a little bit of direct sun will cause the leafs to curl and burn and try misty them ones a day and you will see a change in them, it's all I grow at home calathea Rosepicta. Good luck hope this helps.

{{!gwi}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Beautiful plant, Rick!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations