Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pony tail palm question

Posted by luvidaho_2010 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 11 at 19:07

I found this pony tail palm the other day. I was going to separate the two plants and put them in their own pots. When I pulled them out of the pot there is a huge root ball, now I am concerned that I might kill one or both of them if I try to separate them. Also, the root ball is much taller than the pots I planned to use so can I trim the bottom roots off to make the bulbs shorter? Advise please.
Thanks, Tami
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pony tail palm question

I wouldn't trim the roots any. Just pull them apart gently. You will have some roots break off, but that is normal. I think they will be happier apart. I have seen them left alone. What happens is the bottom parts mesh together and become one. Your rootball looks normal to me and quite healthy.

o

Looks very root-bound, and would benefit from separation and root-pruning.
I just re-potted a guatamalense yesterday, removed soil and some lower roots, and put into a bonsai pot.

Josh

o

I personally prefer the appearance of the two together rather than separated. I've three in one clump and they are among my favorite houseplants. Just my thing.

This is a Beaucamea isn't it?

o

If you want to separate those two, use a shovel to chop them apart, or a sharp knife and slice. I agree that it is rootbound. I would remove (sever) the bottom half of the root ball, then fluff the soil out of the remaining roots, and chop any that are more than 3-4 inches long.

o

I guess I was never taught to cut the roots except on a spider plant. It's called Beaucarnea Recurvata.

o

It has not been my experience that this cares what you do with its roots, at all. Hack away.

o

Thanks so much for the responses. I was quite amazed when I pulled it out of the pot and saw how root bound it is. Yes, it is a Beaucarnea recurvata.

I too like the look of the 2 together, but I did buy it with the intention of separating them and giving one to a friend. I have 2 shorter 12 inch pots that I would like to put them in so I will have to trim the bottom off the root ball.

Or I could be greedy and leave them together and keep them both. LOL
Tami

o

I believe these plants like to be pot bound. I think they are beautiful together.

o

No plant "likes" or prefers to be root-bound.
A plant's vitality begins to decline once the roots have filled the pot.
Please follow the link for more information on the subject.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Myth: This Plant Likes/Prefers to be Root-bound

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here