Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ponytail Palm with Spots

Posted by maevesmom Zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 19:08

My friend has had a ponytail palm for 15 years. He noticed that recently it has white spots on it. I have attached a picture. Any thoughts?
From July 26 2009

From July 26 2009

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ponytail Palm with Spots

Looks like mealybugs to me.

o

It does look like Mealybugs...I believe you can treat it with rubbing alcohol. You moisten a cotton ball or q-tip with the alcohol and clean off each leaf.

o

Maevesmom, how did you keep you pony tail looking so good, as side from the recent bug problem. I have one that I got about a year ago, it stayed outside for most of the summer. It looked great but now I think I was over watering from other threads i've read.

My pony tail palm is actually 3 mini ones in one pot, the leaves are still growing but the bases are shrivled and hard. Any thoughts on how to salvage this? Will the shrivled bases become full again? Thanks for your help!

P.S. beautiful pony tail, sorry for your bug problem.

o

Maybe Mealy bugs. As stated hit them with rubbing alcohol. Also try Bonide Mealy bug and whitefly spray or Bayer Rose and flower spray.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here