Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlarry_gw

Pothos the plant

greenlarry
11 years ago

Now, I always thought that pothos was a euphemism for philodendron, but I got enlightenment on here and went looking further.

Interesting, the plant we call pothos was an Epipremnum, also in Araceae!

Here is a link that might be useful: pothos info

Comments (27)

• Polly381
    11 years ago

That doesnt look like my pothos. They look simlar to a philo but the leaves have variegation

Here is a link that might be useful: more info on pothos

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Some Pothos are variegated, some are not, both are possible. There's also a Pothos that's Lime green, I think it's called Neon.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Greenlarry, I've mentioned that several times on this site already but no one seems to want to know.

Polly381, the plant in your photo is Epipremnum aureum, with the unfortunate common name Golden Pothos which misleads many people. It has the following synonyms:
    Epipremnum mooreense
    Pothos aureus
    Rhaphidophora aurea
    Scindapsus aureus

The site you linked is out of date (but also incorrect in calling it Epipremnum pinnatum, that is a totally different looking aroid).

This is Pothos longipes, one of many species in the Pothos genus.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Ok thank you, I made note of that. learn something new everyday,

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

No worries, it's always good to have an idea of what's what. This is Epipremnum pinnatum, quite different to E. aureum.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Polly, the pic in that link is an old botanical illustration from way back when.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Want to know what amazed me most?

Duckweed, that tiny green stuff that covers ponds, is a member of the Arum family! I would never have guessed that in a million years!

• Polly381
    11 years ago

we have arum growing on our property. We have 10 acres of wetlands

• Polly381
    11 years ago

strange because when I looked at it, it was a photo of a plant not an Illustration.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, i was viewing on my phone, the page is probably laid out differently on a phone Polly.

• tifflj
    11 years ago

My pothos looks exactly like the first picture posted. The stupid little tag in the plant labled it Golden Pothos.

Are you saying it isnt a pothos?

• deadheadri
    11 years ago

tiff..

You definitely have a Golden Pothos..

Charlie

• Polly381
    11 years ago

I cant tell the difference between tiffs pothos and my Epipremnum aureum. Can someone please explain the difference?
    See photo of plant hanging (above)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karen, I thought Lime-Green was a Philo?

Tropic..I love the P. Longipes! Wouldn't mind having one. Its leaves resemble Key Lime. Wonder if they're availble??
    You always post the nicest pics.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Polly381, the common name for Tiffs "pothos" is Golden Pothos or Devil's Ivy. The botanical name is Epipremnum aureum, but still the same plant. Plants with the botanical name Pothos are a different group.

Toni, thanks. I have a P. longipes. It came from the bush, sort of 'borrowed'. Must remember to take it back ....... sometime in the future, well into the future. That's if it wants to go back. It hasn't said anything so far, LOL.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interestingly, and to confuse things, Epipremnum was once called Pothos, was once included in that genus but was split later. Pothos and Epipremnum are two seperate genera but also the word pothos is used as a common name for such plants!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Our local Epipremnum, E. amplissimum, was previously Rhaphidophora amplissima. Speaking to the taxonomist he said it was originally mis-described, so it was a correction and not a renaming. But sometimes they refine the characteristics of a genus so that some of the species don't fit anymore. Either they are then found to fit into another group/genus, or a new genus needs to be set up for them, and that's a renaming.

It looks like that's happening with the Australian Typhoniums. A couple of centuries ago the first one was described for a new genus Lazarum. Then someone in their wisdom said ,"No, it's a Typhonium!" So all the new ones found went into Typhonium. Now they've decided they're all different to the latest refined definition of Typhonium. Because Lazarum had previously been applied as the name, it has precedence and that will be the new name. I've got 2 native ones growing naturally on my place. Looks like they'll be Lazarums before I've even found out what Typhoniums they are/were.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

A simple Pothos has become complicated. lol
    Names were Pothos or Devil's Ivy.

According to desert-tropicals.com

Pothos. Scientiific name: Epipremnum aureum
    Synonom: Pothos aurea, Scindapsis aureus
    Family: Aracea

Now, we go to Wikipedia

Pothos is a genus of flowering plants in the Araceae family. The common houseplant Epipremnum aureum, also known as the "Pothos," (was once) classified under the genus Pothos.

Also:

Epipremnum aureum (or Epipremnum pinnatum cv. aureum in addition to numerous other synonyms) is an aroid with a broad native Old World distribution and a naturalised distribution in tropical and sub-tropical regions worldwide. The plant has a multitude of common names including Australian Native Monstera, Centipede tongavine, Devil's Ivy, Golden Pothos, Hunter's robe, Ivy arum, Money Plant, Pothos, Silver Vine, Solomon Islands' Ivy and Taro vine. Native range extends from Northern Australia through Malesia and Indochina into China, Japan and India. It is sometimes mistakenly labeled as a Philodendon in plant stores.

I don't understand the picture of 'EA' on Wiki. Looks more like Monstera...???

Tiff, no matter where it's sold, 'most nurseries/stores,' will label your plant as Pothos. There are different varieties, like yours listed as Golden Pothos. Another is Silver Queen, Marble. There's a semi-new variety called Pearls & Jade and Autumn Joy. Offhand, I can't recall the others.

TropicBreeze..So, it grows wild? Heck, why bring it back? If it's hardy, I'm sure God/Mother Nature will provide more than enough.
    If it's not complaining, Let it Be...:)

Was it rooted or did you root yourself? If you rooted, was it done in water or soil?

Wonder if P. Longipes can be found online? Next spring I'll research/hunt..lol..It's one unusual, RARE plant. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

"I don't understand the picture of 'EA' on Wiki. Looks more like Monstera...???"

Toni, the next paragraph answers your question:

"It is an epiphyte growing to 20 m tall, with stems up to 4 cm diameter, climbing by means of aerial roots which adhere to surfaces. The leaves are evergreen, alternate, heart-shaped, entire on juvenile plants, but irregularly pinnatifid on mature plants, up to 100 cm long and 45 cm broad (juvenile leaves much smaller, typically under 20 cm long). The flowers are produced in a spathe up to 23 cm long. This plant produces trailing stems when it climbs up trees and these take root when they reach the ground and grow along it. The leaves on these trailing stems grow up to 10cm long and are the ones normally seen on this plant when it is cultivated as a pot plant."

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki Epipremnum aureum article

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Purple..

I read the article..But, is EA that plant we/most call Pothos? That's what's confusing. :_)

Pothos...the first pic on this thread...

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is and it isnt!
    Here in England Id never heard the name pothos. Been growing plants since I was a kid, had tons of books but never came across the word pothos till I got online years later!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Toni, the photo in the Wiki article is labelled:

"Wild form "Rhaphidophora pinnata/Epipremnum aureum/Epipremnum pinnatum. Mt. Archer National Park"

But I'd say it was definitely Epipremnum pinnatum. I've got lots of photos of them from the rainforests, plus I have some "borrowed" ones growing at home.

The Pothos longipes had some roots and I put it in sphagnum moss. The rainforest tree trunks often have a lot of moss on them which holds water for quite a while after rain. The roots seem to have spread into the sphagnum so it must be liking it.

Larry, what are they called in the UK?

I posted photos of some of my large Golden Pothos plants on this thread:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropical/msg0702193328106.html?23

They're up to 20 metres tall.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tropic, I think theyre called Philodendron or Epipremnum, not sure. Theres numerous common names but I don't pay much attention to them- prefer latin names.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Toni, do you remember the conversations we had about the BIG difference between mature, old growth English ivy and the juvenile growth? You (and others) found it hard to believe that EI (Hedera helix) turned into something SO different.

Guess what? Same with Epipremnum. The mature stage has large, segmented leaves. Most of us will never see it. Unless you live in the tropics, or own a commercial greenhouse or conservatory where pothos can actually send aerial roots into the ground, these plants won't realize their full, adult splendor.

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Holly does the same! Leaves at the top of the tree are thornless

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tropic, if you have more pics to share, can you post them? Yours and those in the wild.

Rhizo, yes indeed recall the conversation about Hedera changing.

Rhizo, silly question. Does the plant, 'most call Pothos,' change shape when adult?

Would you happen to know a site, w/pics, that displays adults? I tried Googling, but no luck.
    Very informative. Thank you....

• greenlarry
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All I know is I want that longipes, or as i call it, Long pipes ;)