Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humidity loving plants in the shower?

Posted by pinkiemarie 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 19:26

I live in an arid climate and the already dry air gets even worse in the winter. I have a nice little fern and a rex begonia that I know would love some more humidity and I was thinking about bringing them into the bathroom when I shower. Unfortunately, when I leave the bathroom after a shower I can feel my skin drying out right away. Would the sauna action followed by dry air be worse for the plants than just staying dry all the time? BTW leaving them in the bathroom all the time isn't an option because there isn't a window.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humidity loving plants in the shower?

I don't know about sauna action (I thought it'd be more about steam), why not try pebble trays? They help w/ humidity for plants that need it.

o

I don't think it would hurt anything, but I also don't think it would help much either. I've seen things that say that short term efforts to increase humidity like misting don't really make much of a difference to plants.
If you wanted to, you could consider setting up a grow light in the bathroom to allow some plants to become permanent residents in there. :)

o

Have you ever thought of growing them in your kitchen?

Next to the bathroom, the kitchen can be the most humid room even in winter as long as you cook with water very often. Just a thought:-)

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here