Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachelz3_gw

Yellowing leaves on Wandering Jew?

RachelZ3
11 years ago

Moving- augh. So much going on, and I don't have my gardening books, so I really need your help!

The landscaper was by last week and very impressed by my 25 foot long plant, he said it was a Wandering Jew. It doesn't look like most pictures, it looks like this one:

http://www.foremostco.com/item_detail.aspx?prodID=1542

But variegated.

I will upload a picture after I feed my son dinner- a couple hours.

It's 20 years old or so, survived a fire, a couple moves. It lived in my apartment in NYC with big south facing windows, wrapped around a light fixture.

It took 5 hours to carefully untangle it from the light fixture, and I tied the long stems together lightly with gardening string, wrapped it around itself, and drove it to Pennsylvania on a 75 degree day.

Next day I carefully laid it out on a stairway that faces East with nice skylights, all the way up the stairs. Its a very light room.

I grew concerned about one of the stems that may have been broken at the base.

It was a gift from a plant shop 20 years ago, with a piece of wood for it to climb.

Two stems seemed to start at this piece of wood.

I wondered if it was possible they were actually getting their water from the wood.

The pot sat on stones in a ceramic pot that I used as a reservoir. Now its sitting on a plastic saucer, no stones, waiting for the ceramic pot and stones to be moved from New York in some weeks.

I saw leaves drooping, it seemed to be only one of the stem lines, and I took a chance and pulled the stem that seemed to be broken off the wood.

I put that stem in a water to hopefully root.

I went back to New York for 3 days.

Now there are yellow leaves all along the vines, and I am in a panic. What is going on? The water was gone from the plastic saucer, not so much from the water for the stem I pulled. I gave the plastic saucer water.

It is unhappy to be straightened out?

Does it need to be up off the saucer, does it need the stones?

Is it having trouble pulling the water up its stems for a flight of stairs?

I can't believe the sunlight is much different.

Too much water?

Too little?

I'd rather not cut it up - I am so proud of it's 20 years of growth and 25 foot length.

If I can post pictures here, I will post them shortly.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (85)

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh its a bit sad.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just had to show you my other Pothos, which is quite happy in another window in another room.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just so you know I don't kill everything...

Assuming this works (:) :) :) ) do you think it matters if the pothos is going up, or down, the stairs?

'Cause if it should go down instead of up, I should move it as soon as it starts to revive and before it sends off too many shoots...

another thing I noticed, the other Pothos - which admittedly is right in the window, as opposed to set back, began to turn toward the sun, while the one that got sick never seemed to start turning when it had leaves.
    I also have a picture from the beginning, before it began to turn yellow, but I have to get it from NYC.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Great pics Rachel!

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    11 years ago

Rachel - Too bad about your pothos, it must have been beautiful. Kind of reminds me of a coffee shop in NYC that had a pothos vining all over the ceiling, and I mean all over. It also points up what I've mentioned in other places, that pothos is an incredibly robust weed; that you could get so much growth from such a small pot of roots -- I am in awe of this plant. A couple of questions you had: no, it wasn't sucking water from the wood pole, only from those roots in the pot and down into the stones; also I don't think it matters whether the pot is at the bottom of the stairs, or at the top. Good for you for trying several different approaches to "reviving" your plant, I'd be interested to see the results. My experience of pothos has been that long vines don't leaf out again, even if they start growing new leaves at the ends. But a wonderful thing about plants is that they don't read the rule books, so often they do things you don't expect. Don't be too surprised, though, if you have to take cuttings of the ends of the vines, and regrow the whole thing. Give you a chance to experiment with improved potting mediums.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

It looks like you've done everything possible to save what you can of this plant. I love your attitude and really enjoyed reading your posts. Agree it doesn't matter, up or down.

Please keep us updated!

The Pothos that is turning toward the light - you can turn the pot periodically so it doesn't get lop-sided. At least until the vines get long enough to go somewhere "permanently" and prevent you from being able to do that, if that's your plan for that plant also, more long vines.

In your last pic, Oct 23, 12 at 17:29, the bigger plant looks like a peace lily (Spathiphyllum) and I have no idea what the little one might be.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Rachel

I am not sure so pls. check this out - but I would think that you should put some soil over the stems, not only under, and hold down with that rock (the paper clips are good to hold them).

The roots in the 'unhappy roots' photo look like there is lots of 'white' there, maybe too much accumulated salts?

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Quickie as I am running out... first THANK YOU

The other Pothos was generally treated the same as the first, wrapped around a light fixture in NYC apartment, but set further back and would go forever without water.

It's not quite as long I think, I'd have to unwrap it and at this point I am too scared.

Natch it doesn't have the wood.
    And it wasn't led up the stairs.

I am pretty well depressed at the thought that the vines wont "leaf out" again. I just read/skimmed the posts over here :
    Very Long Vine Pothos Losing Leaves:
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0116174712725.html

and
    Good Growing Practices- An Overview for Beginners
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg101400289284.html

I saw Purpleinopp over on the second thread :)

I was a serious gardener until around 2003 when my apartment with a terrace burned, and we decamped 6 times in a year- I can show pics of this plant out on the terrace covered in soot in 2003.
    It wasn't possible to continue without a terrace, and life got very complicated health wise and then my son was born, all in less space than I had before, and no terrace, no place to re-pot. I tried some air layering on another plant, that's another story.

Anyway, I am hoping that what I was able to understand of A1's postings means that yes, the leaves will grow again from the scars of where they were before. I haven't the mastery to figure out the soil and water I'd need to do, and its already done, it gives me a little hope that purpleinopp who does understand thinks I have a shot at leafing out again. (if I understand correctly)

I noticed also that the Dave pothos is only one stem, maybe two, while I have 14.

I don't know for sure if either of my pothos regrew from the spots where they lost leaves because they were wrapped around themselves before they started climbing at the "new" apartment where we've lived since 2005.

I can put some dirt on top of the stems under the stone.

Should I be doing anything else to encourage it to grow leaves at the scars?
    I think the brown blobs will grab on the stairs.

If its not going to leaf out again, I think I will give the other pothos a shot at the stairs.

But I really want it to leaf out again.

Still mulling the up vs down...

I assumed my shoots would grow UP the railings but see Dave's hang down like jungle vines.

Mine grew UP the wall in the apartment in NYC, and grew around artwork, with the brown blobs attaching along the way. I have a picture of that because a friend wanted to see the artwork a couple weeks ago and I took a picture...

And I think of that last tip of my Pothos looking good, hanging down.

OK must run but THANK YOU again.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh and to purpleinopp, I have to get my book (in NYC) to tell you what the one plant is, the larger one, but the little succulent that flowers, is VERY special.

I had to fly to LA for procedures in the effort to have my child (looong story). I would walk by the beach for exercise and dream of my child. I took a cutting of some plants that grew along the path (admittedly, one from someone's porch, probably this one because it's the only one that survived).

I took sand from the beach as well to make this poor thing feel more comfortable on a window in Manhattan than on the beach in LA (Manhattan Beach).

I am VERY happy that little plant is still alive, and I took my son to that very beach in LA in June.

:)

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can't stop myself- this is my apartment a few weeks before the fire in 2003- and you can see this pothos climbing up a column on the left side edge. That apartment not only had a terrace, but also wrap around floor to ceiling windows on all sides but east, and this plant was facing south, as was the other pothos climbing up the other column. Obviously, all my plants were very happy here and I did lots of experimenting with soils and composition, air layering, everything... :::sigh:::

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:109334}}

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and here they are after the fire on the terrace.

They made it back from this.

Now if I can get it to live through the move to Philly...

:D

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:109335}}

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rachel, what a tragedy! Fire and a baby. Thankfully, you and your family are okay..

Rach, are you planning on potting all 14 cuttings in one pot or grow individually??

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And there was the cancer... and we all made it through, even the kitten.
    Well that's when I noticed that dave hss only one vine going down his stairs, maybe 2.
    Was it that my 14 (actually more because about 5 broke off while I was unwrapping it from the light) never grew back leaves, but with so many vines just appeared fuller?
    But at the moment, as you see in the pic, all 13 are in soil and water plus one just in water. I figure if any or all decide they're going to live, I can sort it out at that time.

Its pretty strange realizing that I gave up gardening (not without a fight I promise you) and I'm coming back to it like an ex-patriot.

I will get the pics from NYC this weekend I hope.

Thanks again all for help.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Rachel

Can you imagine if you cut it up into shorter sections and rooted each, then potted and set by railing on the top landing - they would hang down like in Dave's photo except you would have more of them...it would look like a curtain (live curtain).
    If I wanted that look, I would get a long planter (or a box in which to set multiple pots into-just in case you wanted to move them) and let them grow down, 2-3 stems thru each space...just an idea...new house - new begginings - new look...Hope you don't mind me rambling...

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Rina I appreciate being able to ramble about this, its not like all my friends want to talk about my plants. :)
    I did think of the same sort of thing but I decided against it.. another old saying I remember - this is all from the original Victory Garden on PBS years ago, I got hooked on ... talk about rambling, as the newbie here I hope I am not overstepping, but its on topic so.. here I go... Crockett's Victory Garden, he was on PBS and made gardening as interesting as Julia Child made cooking. His book is my bible:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crocketts-Victory-Garden-Underwood-Crockett/dp/0316161209
    That's still in NYC. Hard to believe I just came to PA to this surprise Sunday night... I had nothing at all to help the plant that night, except this board so thank you again.

I think it was he who said "don't turn your garden into a hospital".

So I will try to do what can be done, if the plant wants to live, its got sun, soil and water, a place to grow, OK its bound together and maybe what wasn't so nice, I thought about untying it but by then it was already denuded plus I have one tie at the top to keep it from falling down the stairs... but if I chopped it up the best I'd have is sprouts on a thick stalk, and a bunch of pots on my stairs for my 4 year old and guests- and myself- to avoid.

If it isn't going to work I will take the prettiest part of it and start again.

And... there's a chance when I get back to NYC tomorrow night I'll find that those 5 stems that broke off while I was unwrapping it may have rooted! Even though they fell out of the water for some days last week...

They were each about 6 feet.

I could put a new plant at the bottom of the stairs and the other pothus at the top of the stairs and see which one works out better...

11 years ago

"don't turn your garden into a hospital"

I don't really understand this. How do you interpret it?

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Hi Rachel
    I have one suggestion. The pothos you have in water, remove all the leaves under the water line.
    Good luck,

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My lovely Pothos, only 2 weeks ago...

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More of the same lovely pothos... 2 weeks ago, now looks like rope.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Polly, thanks, I did that the next day, removed the leaves from the water.

purpleinopp- I wanted to make sure I quoted correctly, here it is from Crockett's Indoor Garden, the section on Indoor Pests and Plagues-
    "... Immediately isolate any plant that looks suspicious, so others aren't affected. (But don't make a hospital out of your plant collection; if you have a plant that's been hit badly, muster your courage and throw it away.)..."
    He's talking mostly about pests and diseases, and I was thinking if the root rot is a fungus, and also if it becomes sickly it will attract pests.

And the vines that broke off and stayed in NYC also have turned yellow leaves.

So is there a chance its going to leaf out again or is the best I can hope for is growth at the ends?

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just an update to say nothing has happened. Nothing. The 14 vines are just as they were, green, sucking up a little water, not rooting in either the water or the soil, not sending out the brown suckers along the way, the leaves that were there are still there, a couple have browned and dried up, there is no new growth anywhere.
    I have no clue what's going on.
    The base plant is growing normally, no signs of root rot or anything.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Rachel,

Well, I don't know what to think except to say I've never seen anyone put them up in water the way you did, trying to water root the center of a pegged down vine like that (if I understand what I'm looking at.)

I'd remove them from water & cut clear thru where you have them pegged down w/ rock. These plants are far better at starting new growth rather than maintaining old growth. They'll start new growth from near above the cut area, where it sticks out from the water.

Perhaps since your way hasn't worked for you (sorry), you'll try mine.

I practically guarantee they'll do better that way than this, good luck!

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lemme clarify... the cut ends are in the water, and about 6 inches later they pass by the pot of soil, where they are somewhat pegged down and held down with a stone.

I have rooted cuttings in water from this plant many times in the past.

are you (pirate girl) saying I should cut them again at the soil area and you think that leaves will start growing at the soil level or that roots will start growing there?

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

No, sorry, not at all, I'm not talking about anything in soil. I was talking about what I thought were cuttings curved & lying (over the bucket).

If those cuttings are already in water, don't know why they haven't grown for ya. I'd re-cut those cuttings 1 or 2 nodes up the stem from the earlier cut.

Do you add to the water? Does it smell badly?

11 years ago

Are there nodes in water at each cut end? I'm miffed too, it's been over 2 months! If they are bent, or the weight of the rock on them, may be causing a restriction in the flow inside the vines. I'm not real clear on what's going on. In the last 2 pics, I just see vine around pic frames. Can you take a new pic?

• dsws
    11 years ago

On up vs. down. Short answer, it probably doesn't matter.

From what I've read elsewhere, "pothos" (Epipremnum aureum) naturally grows both up and down. It can start as an epiphyte, grow down to the ground, grow toward the darkness instead of toward the light like most plants so as to find the shade of a big tree, and then climb all the way up that tree. If it's doing well enough, it gets a different kind of leaves when it's growing up a tree than we have on them as houseplants.

The site I'm mostly getting this from:
    http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Epipremnum%20aureum%20pc.html

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All good questions and points, I hope I can get these pictures up...

OK the first pic should be the entire scene, the stems in water next to the pot of soil with the vines pinned down and the leafless (nearly) vines up the stairs to the balcony. At the tips of the vines where one would surely expect growth there is nothing. Status quo. All along the stairs, nothing.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a close up of the original plant, doing fine without the long vines. If it had root rot, it seems to be cured, and I didn't do much of anything, I just got its original pot and rest it on it's original stones. I had it on a flat saucer sitting on some root ends, and I pulled a knot of root ends off it.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should say though, yes, there is new growth on the original plant, you can also see ends where was cut where nothing is happening.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK so here is the hopeful rooting scenario, with nothing happening- except looky at those fairly nice leaves a few inches from the soil... from the above pictures, those leaves weren't there in October. But there's no buds or anything... where did they come from? Were they there and I just didn't notice them or they aren't in the picture?

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And so there are the roots. I should change the water. They have the consistency of mush and yes, they smell if I put my nose up to them- like the stems of cut flowers that got old. I was about to cut them off but worry that will interfere with those leaves- just a few inches away.

dsws- I read the same page and with that and also my experience of this plant growing UP the wall before, I feel OK about it going up the stairs.

Meanwhile, all the other plants here are happy.

I have a lovely variegated pothos that is a few feet long I may put on the stairs and see what happens... but not yet!

Many thanks for all help. I promised I would update- I just wish I had better, or at least SOME news... but it's frozen in time.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oops, forgot to post the pic of the roots, or lack thereof, on the vines pinned to the soil under the rock

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

Rachel

You mean they are in same water since October? I would think that is really long time without changing it.
    Are you going to keep them in water?
    I would cut off all of the mushy stuff, back to green/healthy.
    If you got new leaves further up the potted stems, that would be good news, maybe they are slowly starting to root in the pot.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I changed the water in November too, I just have been away for weeks and got snowed out of my home so I just got back. Its roughly every month. I have changed the water now.

This weekend I go back to my home (I am moving out of there slowly) and I will get my garden shears. I'll consider cutting off the mushy parts next week with the proper tool.

I will feel a total fool if I cut off the mushy ends and that kills the vines, or the leaves that are there drop off. Might be better to leave it alone.

But i think the same as you... is it possible it's started to root at a glacial pace in that soil? I didn't try pulling on the vines, but as you can see, it doesn't look like anything is happening.

When it was healthy, it would send out those brown suckers in a matter of weeks, big like fingers, grab the wall, the pictures, whatever.
    Also cuttings in water would root in 2 weeks, no problem.

And you see those mushy roots.. they look terrible for the first inch or two, and then, green vine.

I wondered at one point if it was actually dead but retained the green color.

btw rina you know that ALL the vines are both in water and laying over the pot of soil, right? There are not two sets.

It's just so bizarre.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

"I will feel a total fool if I cut off the mushy ends and that kills the vines, or the leaves that are there drop off. Might be better to leave it alone."

Well sorry Rachel, but perhaps you'd best brace yourself to be bummed out.

Mush = rot & leaving the mush in the water, taints the rest of the water & likely will spread the mush/rot to the rest of the cuttings if it hasn't already. So if you're intent on keep it as is, you'll just be growing mush & rot, 'cause that's where this is headed.

We're advocating cutting the mush off to help you, by removing the rot (Rina & I), pls. try to understand that preserving the rot is killing the remaining stems.

I've tried to follow this thread; it's become more confusing & I don't understand it.

I don't understand why you're trying to air layer it, that's just not how these plants work. They work by cuttings, in water or in mix, not air layered like that, that's why it's not working.

Is it that you're trying saving the lengths? Sorry, it's not going to happen. Those bare lengths going up the stairs will not leaf out, period; this plant just doesn't work that way. If not re-rooted they'll likely die off.

Purple said it well above, wish I had copied it to quote her.

Long story short, I'd recut ALL the cuttings, just 4-6 inches below the last set of leaves & set them all in a small clear cup of water.

Start over, newly cut stems w/ fresh water (wash or sterilize the cup pls) & normally these root fast enough in water to root before the rot sets in, I've done this a zillion times. Some aquarium grade charcoal bits sprinkled in the water will help avoid the rot.

(I believe the 'good grief' comment is sad recognition of how far gone this plant is, the yds. of bare vines.)

Sorry to be so blunt, I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I'd toss the rest of the cuttings, they will not recover.

On a brighter note, you yourself said new cuttings water root in just a couple of weeks. So you could have a couple of cups of rooted cuttings in less than a month's time. Bright & perky & all full of life, like your earlier pix showed us so nicely.

11 years ago

Those ends in water will not make roots. I think we may need an anatomy lesson. The things circled in red are aerial roots, which happen at the nodes - where the leaves emerge from the vine. Roots can only form at nodes, and IME with Pothos, only at a node that has an aerial root. About 90% of nodes have them, looking over my plant, a few don't. Putting a cut end, or part of vine across soil, without an active node will for sure result in failure.

When you trap a section of vine under soil that doesn't have a node, the potential for rot is high.

More pics and info in a minute...

11 years ago

This is about the size of cutting with which I have the best results.

11 years ago

This is how I decided where to cut. This aerial root is juicy, large, with every potential for growing into a real root.

11 years ago

To attempt to grow this piece, the 2 leaves at the cut end have been removed. I pulled them off (by pulling them away from their normal direction of growth) so there won't be any petiole (leaf stem) left to rot in the water.

11 years ago

These 2 nodes are stuck in water. As soon as they turn white and soft, they are ready for soil, usually 5-10 days. I'll post an update here soon since I cut this for this demonstration.

On your vines, any that are so dehydrated that they are puckered will probably not survive but the only hope for doing so at this point would be to look at each vine and make a new cut that leaves a healthy-looking node at the end. Those that are yellow don't have much potential either. Don't worry about how long they are, just that they have the potential to grow.

I would start by removing any/all that haven't made roots in the soil since they are not going to without nodes in contact with the soil. As they rot, they could cause the few that may have rooted to rot also.

Repotting your original root ball should result in an explosion of new growth. It doesn't look like there's any room left in that pot for roots to grow. If roots are stagnant, so will be the plant.

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    11 years ago

Wow, this has turned into quite a project/thread, hasn't it? I know in an earlier post on this thread I had said maybe you'd get some leaves to sprout on your long old stems (btw, growers call those 'trailers'), but I was trying to be diplomatic - after all, in dealing with plants, as we all know, almost anything can happen. But the truth is, as the pirate girl said, you're not going to get any significant growth on that bunch of old vines - maybe a leaf or new branch here and there, but nothing like your old growth. You're going to have to throw out all that old stuff, and grow a new plant to wind up your stairs, which will look gorgeous, and shouldn't take too long with all that glorious light.

I'm thinking that the problem you're having with rooting those trailers is that it's very old material. In the past, when you rooted cuttings, you made them from ends that you cut off, right? Not pieces that were years old. You're seeing where the major vitality of the plant lies - near the growing ends of the plant. It does have root nodes and leaf scars all along it's length, but those are more like insurance - in the event of catastrophe, one or two might sprout, but not likely.

Why don't you take 6" or 8" cuttings from the ends of your long trailers, and root them. You could do some in water and some in soil by way of experimentation, if you like. Then start a compost pile with that long bunch of trailers, and turn your attention to your original plant. How about repotting it according to the detailed and excellent suggestions on this forum. Maybe someone could give you a good link, I'm being pulled - literally - by my granddaughter who wants to go out to play, I don't have time for much more. But then your plant will be invigorated, and soon you'll have beautiful new leaves growing up, AND down, your stairs. Bye byyeeeee.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I didn't see any "air-layering"....? Lots of pics....Did I miss it, Karen?

I see a form of ground-layering, and it does look as though there are nodes near
    (if not under) the soil. (Great pictorial and explanations, by the way, Purple).

I would also guess that having the cut ends in water may reduce the likelihood of rooting
    under the soil further up the vine. A lack of moisture is often what stimulates a stem/cutting
    to send out roots in search of moisture.

Regardless of what went wrong, cut that mush off the vines. Pronto!

Josh

11 years ago

"I would also guess that having the cut ends in water may reduce the likelihood of rooting under the soil further up the vine."

Yes, excellent. I forgot to say something about that circumstance too. Got to be confusing to the vines. When propagating, pick one method per article of material.

I also forgot part of the anatomy lesson. Once an aerial root finds soil, it will almost always start a new vine tip. For those who want a bushy plant, or just more growing tips, cutting and re-rooting the ends is the way to go.

The one thing everyone agrees: Cut off the mushy ends. It's your decision about where... but let's be realistic. You're insisting water travel all the way up the stairs to the tips.

Some (in the pot picture) look nice and green, not puckered. Those may have roots in that pot. But if they are still connected to a rotting end in water, that's bad, easily remedied with a quick snip.

Once you determine which vines have no roots in the pot, separate them and find the salvageable parts. There's plenty there to salvage. I agree with FW that your primary material will be at the growth ends, so I would start there. Look down the vine to find the best-looking aerial root not too far away. I don't agree with FW's total pessimism about them in general because I've chopped up many sad old vines just like this. My words were from experience, not speculation. I know plenty of other people have too... once it grows all the way around the room, or to the floor, it's in the way or you get bored - the scissors and jar of water come out.

Time is running out for these vines as they get more dessicated. They can't obtain water from rotted ends, which is clearly shown and described here. Who else is like literally itching to get their hands on this to help fix it? Just too far...

The blue circle below show where the growth tip of this vine was cut. The red circles show the new growth tips starting in response to this cut.

11 years ago

That is why this plant is bushy. About a year ago, it was 3 single vines about 2 feet long. Through selective pruning, and returning the propagated ends to the pot, I've caused it to look like this. If my goal were to have really long vines, I would quit chopping off the ends. I just counted about 15 tips on the plant now.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Guys and gals-
    I had come to think of this as more of an experiment, a learning experience, more about the wonder of plants. In that effort, I will continue.

The harsh tone of some folks is unhelpful- I am not hurting anybody or repeating the same behavior expecting different results or posting incessantly, so please, lighten up.

The advice is wonderful. What I glean from so many knowledgeable plant aficionados is worth the trouble sorting through invective.

I was away a long time, and this is what I found when I came home. I said I'd update for the kind folks who gave advice and also for any person who may have the same problem. I posted the pics because someone asked, and its kind of unbelievable if you don't see it.

I may still make shorter cuttings, but as I said (it probably got lost in the thread) I have two more doing well, I might put them on the stairs. These are not "rescue" plants, and they are from cuttings of the same plant(s) so the sentimentality is saved.

The challenge was to try and save these 25 year old vines. I am not clear on if anyone thinks cuttings ~ 6 feet long would ever be leafy on the original portion, and someone pointed out that it's not likely on old vines.

I also agree with whoever said that it probably wasn't all that groovy leafy before I moved it, it was probably just so many vines that had some leaves that together it looked like a leafy plant. 14 vines!

I am surprised where the new growth is, and isn't.

I also said I would not make a hospital for my plants, and gave the quote and reference from Crockett's Victory Garden.

But I do want to learn all I can from this, and I am excited to try what might work.

I know my plant is gone.
    I am just surprised it didn't die.

I have another rule about my plants, I think I may have said, they have to demonstrate the will to survive.
    This one has.
    So I am not going to kill it (intentionally).
    I am not going to cut it up (because I have at least two healthy Pothos)- unless someone is saying they think that will make leafy ~6ft vines? I will try that if that's the case. Anyone?

I was waiting until I had proper shears to cut the mush off, because part of my thinking was that perhaps these didn't root in water because I had used a knife, as I hadn't anything in the new house.

I learned a lot from everyone, (especially those who are diplomatic and took care and time to write, post pictures, and read, and question, and join in the spirit of wonder here) but what Josh said made so much sense, and gives me another experiment to try:
    "I would also guess that having the cut ends in water may reduce the likelihood of rooting
    under the soil further up the vine. A lack of moisture is often what stimulates a stem/cutting
    to send out roots in search of moisture."

I never had much success with air layering, or soil layering, whatever the heck its called lying roots over soil, and thought I was covering my bases by doing both, but here is an explanation for why neither was working but the plant still lives.

I am also running out the door (have to go back to NYC for the weekend).

And then this from Josh:
    "Regardless of what went wrong, cut that mush off the vines. Pronto!"

So I did. I used a big scissors, it cut cleanly and easily through the green of all 14 vines outside the water, which were surprisingly juicy and alive. I tucked the ends in a bit of the soil and took a picture. (I'll post later, probably before and after?)

The soil is wet, the house will be mostly empty for 4 days, I'll return and see what happened, if anything.

Everyone has invested their time in my project, even those who were a bit unkind, and I much appreciate it. Anyone who wants to know how it turned out on Sunday or Monday, look here because I will update.

I'd like to ask that anyone who cannot restrain themselves from smacking me around while giving advice just ignore this thread from now on please (or just please give the advice without the attitude).

For fun, anyone want to predict what will happen?
    Will I come home to a shriveled, brown and browning set of vines?
    Will I find something poking out of a node, into the soil?
    Will the little leaves that are left have turned yellow?

I think... Josh is right... I think taking the water away (especially if there ever was any root rot at any time involved) will stimulate the plant to do something. I think it will either live or die.

If it wants to live without leaves, I accept that too.

Thank you everyone for great help and knowledge.

• RachelZ3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have to say before I go a special thanks to Purpleinopp-
    everything you say is helpful and you make me laugh and I feel like you understand where I am coming from on this. I was writing my post so I missed these last two from you, and I have run out of time but I will read and work on it when I get back. I agree on all points btw, I just didn't have time.

"Who else is like literally itching to get their hands on this to help fix it? Just too far... "

Hilarious!!!!
    Many thanks and apologies for not having enough time to thank everyone by name for so much great help and - comraderie :)

• PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    11 years ago

Amazing how much conversation went on while I was outside with BLG (beautiful little granddaughter. can't call her a baby any more) Purple, I didn't mean to sound completely pessimistic about the recovery of bare trailers - that's why I mentioned the possibility of a few leaves or new shoots - and I do know about chopping and rooting and so on - I was just addressing probabilities and how to most quickly achieve a full growth. But Rachel seems to be clear about what she's got in mind, so I say 'you go girl.'

Rachel, I used to love that old Victory Garden show. Wouldn't it be cool if someone did a similar thing on indoor gardening? Maybe there's not enough interested people out there to make it work. Wouldnt know it from GW, though

11 years ago

"The challenge was to try and save these 25 year old vines. I am not clear on if anyone thinks cuttings ~ 6 feet long would ever be leafy on the original portion, and someone pointed out that it's not likely on old vines. "

Vines/cuttings of any size or age - once the original leaf from a node is gone, a new growth tip can emerge, and/or a root, but not a new single leaf.

"unless someone is saying they think that will make leafy ~6ft vines? I will try that if that's the case. Anyone? "

When the new tips that emerge from your existing vines, they will lengthen indefinitely unless/until someone cuts off the tip, or the plant dies.

"Will I come home to a shriveled, brown and browning set of vines? " Impossible to say, but I hope there's a vigorous node at the cut end of each.

Regarding the pic I drew below with my excellent artistic abilities... Imagine it's a perfect world where it's summertime and you have laid a piece of vine down on fertile soil. That's the purple line, laying on soil, with its' roots at the left end. (I don't know why one is sticking up.) In our perfect world, we'll have perfect propagation at every node. The red lines coming down from it are where roots will form at the nodes (blue dots.) The green lines are the new vines that will grow from each node, and that is where you new leaves will be, on the new vines, and the tip of the old vine if it has not been cut.

Enjoy your trip!

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

FYI, just so you know, the tool w/ which one cuts makes no difference whatsoever, be it shears, a razor, a knife or just pinched off btwn just fingers.

What does matter is that they be clean & sterile (if tools) or they can spread disease btwn plans.

11 years ago

Today this root broke through the brown and has a white tip. I will put it in the pot with the mama plant today. So that was 10 days.