Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackthumb1_gw

Red Anthurium Help

BlackThumb1
9 years ago

I have a red anthurium (or so I'm told) that I'm having trouble with. I found it potless by the dumpster this summer. It was pretty dried out, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try to save it because it was going to die anyway. It still had soil around the roots, as if someone had picked it up out of the pot and left it to die. I brought it home, put it in a bowl, left it outside my back door (north facing), and watered it to see if it would come back to life. After it did well, and I was sure it didn't have bugs, I bought it a pot that was just perfect for the size the soil and roots.
It was looking great, but when it started cooling off at night I brought it inside and now it's not doing so well. The red leaves are loosing their color, and the green leaves are getting brown spots and dying. There are still some little baby leaves that look good. They are a nice green, and look waxy.
I've always watered it outside and watered until it freely flows out of the bottom. It seams to drain well. I have noticed I don't have to water it as often as I water my spider plants.
I have not fertilized it, but from what I'm reading I don't understand the instructions for fertilizer. I do have mealworm frass which is suppose to be a good fertilizer. I put some on my spider plants and they doubled in size. I don't know if that is good for an anthurium though.
When it first started looking bad I was taking it back outside because I thought it needed more sunlight.. That was before I knew what it was. Also because the sun is changing location in the sky I had it outside my front door, South facing, instead of the back door where it was before. I now see it doesn't like direct sunlight. My little apartment isn't all that bright. I have two south facing windows, and one north facing window. Other than being in the south facing window I don't have a lot of bright light, but if it is in the window it is in direct sunlight. If I get lighting for it what does it need? Should it be directly under the light?
Other than it maybe having too much sunlight I'm not sure what else might be the problem. I live in Colorado so it's not humid here, but we did have a damp (for us) summer. I read about putting it's pot on a tray of gravel and keeping that wet for humidity. I can try it, but it won't fit in the window at all if I do that.
Could the brown spots be from water? The last couple times it rained I put the plant outside to get some rainwater. I thought it would like it better so the leaves got wet. Other than that I just use tap water.
I'll try to include some pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with. I'm really not good with plants. I can keep my lucky bamboo, and spider plants alive, and so far I haven't killed my orchid (although there is still time), but I really have no idea what to do with plants. Which is a shame because I like them so much. :-(

Comments (4)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

The brown spots look like sunburn IMO.

Planto

• BlackThumb1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So do you think just taking it out of direct sunlight will be enough to help it be healthy again?

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

it got burned - all those lighter patches on leaves is sun burn. it should be in the shade outside. but indoors it can take a few hours of early or late sun when it is low. if you only have south window - it would be best to filter the light with horizontal/vertical blinds or sheer: if the light is moving and dappled indoors it would love it.
    if you can keep an orchid, you should be able to keep anthurium too.
    it likes to be warm and humid though, it's best not to let it go below 65F if you still want it to produce leaves. if kept in the mid-70s it'll continue to grow thru winter and in good light continue to bloom. do not remove burned leaves (as that would mean removing most of them) - let it grow new ones; they should start getting bigger as they grow if the plant is getting what it needs.
    you can feed it with african violet fertilizer at recommended solution and also give it once a month epsom salts (solution at 1tb per gallon).
    do not let it completely dry out, but don't keep it too moist either, especially if your temps start to drop in winter (then water it less).
    it would be best to repot it in half orchid bark mix half soilless mix (like cactus mix), but seeing that it's somewhat weak, i'd wait until it starts growing again in early spring.
    put it on a pebble saucer, if you can or mist it. or even put in a shower ev 2 weeks or so (think tropical rain - warm water).

• BlackThumb1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I will try your suggestions.