Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant sale/Fundraising for the Garfield Park Conservatory Chicago

Posted by dellis326 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 11 at 19:40

Some of you may know that last June 30th the Garfield Park Conservatory in Chicago was trashed during a monster hail storm we had leaving much of the hundred year+ old greenhouses with a lot of damage. Some reports saying that something like 40% of the glass was broken during the storm. You can see pictures and video of the damage on their website(linked below).

If you're near by, come and buy some plants to help fund repairs or if not, go to the website and donate some money if you can.

'Garfield Park Conservatory'

Plant Rescue Sale!
Saturday, October 22, 2011 9 am - 2 pm

Come adopt a plant, take home a piece of living history, and donate to the rebuilding of the Conservatory, all at the same time. Many of the plants that would be stored in the Propagation Greenhouses damaged in the June 30th hail storm now need new homes! Tropical trees, plants, succulents, and perennials from the Conservatory and grounds will be sold out of the Market Place in this one-day-only sale. The sale begins at 9am and will continue until 2pm (or until all plants are sold). Master Gardeners will be on hand to answer your plant care questions.

http://www.garfieldconservatory.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: Garfield Park Conseratory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant sale/Fundraising for the Garfield Park Conservatory Chi

Howdy. I remember the hail storm. Second storm that caused major damage the last 10-15 years.

Will you be going? Toni

o

OMG - I hadn't realized how serious the damage was. I just might go there since that is where I proposed to my wife. Whatever we can do to help. I can give the plants back once the repairs are done (or propogate them).

o

Yeah it was horrible. I drove past the Conservatory two days after the storm and it was easy to see all the damage.

Since I work with glass I offered to volunteer to help clean up but they told me their insurance provider insists that they have professional contractors do it.

o

I just wanted to bump this back up to remind anyone interested in the fundraiser.

Danny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here