Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whodovoodoo

Sad Spathiphyllum.

whodovoodoo
15 years ago

I got an enormous, gorgeous Spathi this summer. It was from one of the floral arrangements at my grandmother's funeral. I've never had a Spathi before, so I was a little hazy on how to take care of it. I had it outside during the shade for a few days this summer, but it would always get droopy during the hotter noon hours, so I just took to bringing it inside and letting it have some indirect eastern window light, which it seemed to like.

Now that I moved (well, sort of moved; I'm in a dorm), it has gotten progressively worse. It's right next to a flourescent light because I don't have window space for it. A LOT of the smaller bottom leaves have died off or are dying off, and most of the leaves have brown all around the tips. It keeps going, slowly but surely, until it reaches the stem and the leaf drops - even if I trim the brown edges off. It's definitely not tip burn, because it gets room-temperature dechlorinated water.

Of course, to make things more confusing, it IS producing new leaves that look perfectly healthy until after they unfurl and deepen their coloration. So I'm not sure what the problem is. I've noticed one or two very small gnats flying around (irritating things, really), but I don't know if this is directly related...

What should I do? This plant (obviously) means a lot to me and I don't wanna lose it.

Comments (2)